bud light wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just created a kit similar to BL Golden Wheat in case anyone wants it. The kit is called AHS Half Wit.

Forrest

I like that name! Funny and a little fitting...

I'm actually referring to realizing there's a whole world full of delicious beers out there. Up until that point, the primary beer I drank was Bud Light.

If some of the Bud Light Drinkers decide that they'll check out the beers in the microbrew section of their local liquor store, then it's a win.

My awakening was Hitachino Nest White Ale, I've only taken one sip of it, but it's what inspired me to start brewing. The only place I've seen it in Chicago is the Wit Hotel (which is a strange coincidence.)

Do I drink a bud light because it has great flavor, no, I'd much rather be drinking down a good oktoberfest or belgian dubbel. But a cold bud light to save on calories is not always a bad thing, to me at least. I still haven't figured out how to drink 300 calorie beers every night and keep the waistline down.

~r~

Don't want to drag the thread offtopic, but this should be addressed. According to this link, you are saving about 50 calories by drinking Bud Light over a Fat Tire. I'm pretty sure I can burn 50 calories by taking a nap. Contrary to popular "beer belly" lore, people don't get fat from drinking a few Pale Ales. But I bet those chicken wings and cheeseburgers they are washing down have something to do with it. :D 2003 study: no link between beer consumption and obesity

Back on topic, I look forward to trying the Bud Light Wheat, despite the poorly chosen name. I was pleasantly surprised by the American Ale. Do you all think this InBev's doing, or was Bud working on this stuff before the acquisition?

I found some last night at the grocery store for $4.99. I figured "what the hell?" - i used to drink BL back in the day. But, now i can't stomach it.

But, this BLGW wasn't that bad. of course my expectations were very low. For the price point definitely acceptable, but not spectacular.

This Bud Light Wheat is one of the worst beers ever made by Budweiser. All of the expense of an entry level microbrew (at about $7-8 a six pack) and none of the taste. This stuff was worse than my first try using a Mr Beer mix.

Avoid this at all cost.

I think people are being to hard on t is beer. Its not the best beer I've had. But its not that bad.

If anything this might get some if the BL or nothing guys try something new and maybe learn ti enjoy beers with flavor. And maybe help grow the craft beer market.

I had this beer for the first time this weekend. Not very good....I could barely taste any wheat. It just tasted like a fuller bodied budwieser to me which is not good.

I would say it's a light version of a wheat beer. I don't know the nutrition facts but the only way I can describe it is that it's a wit that tastes like Bud Light.

I mean I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Just not much right. It's just an "easy to drink" boring beer.

In a glass:

budwheat.jpg

But if you posted just the pic in the picture thread most everyone would say it looks tasty.;)

Everyone saying "Oh my God, I won't even try it" -- isn't that completely against what we're all claiming to be here for? Aren't we all open minded, beer enthusiasts... not snobs? I've tried it. Quite honestly -- it ain't bad. To each his own, obviously. But again... to not TRY it, is so counterproductive to the scene of what we're all doing.

And someone else said it best, if this had a label from some unknown brew pub in central Iowa -- you'd try it. You'd try it, and you'd probably like it. You wouldn't rave about it, but you wouldn't discount it purely based upon the packaging.

+1 and someone posts a pick like this just about everyone says you have to taste it before dumping.
infection.JPG

I tried it and its ok not something I would order when better is to be had but I can drink it. And I can't drink Bud or Bud lite Coors ya. This beer is not for someone who drinks Poulaner hefe or Hoegarden.

And everyones taste are different I absolutely hate Sam Adams Boston lager or Octoberfest wont touch it

This stuff was not at all bad. It was not the best wheat beer I have ever had in my life but not half bad. Like anything else "Light" it is basically a watered down version of the original style I guess. I can taste the wheat and once you rouse the yeast a little it has a faint yeasty, heffe taste to it. Definitely better than regular bud light. Not my first choice but not the last either.

I finally tried this. My one word description...uninspired. I would drink it, but it's definitely a LIGHT wheat beer. I think their American Ale was a more interesting attempt. However, this was the last six pack in the cooler. So, the stuff appears to be selling.

Had it last night. Tastes like somebody dumped a blue moon into a bud light, and added some OJ. I have had worse.

We sampled a pint of this at an Outback restaurant in our area the other evening and I was not impressed with it. It was very light in body (I know it is a lite beer) close to watery I would say. The flavor was also quite light. We did not like the draft example of it. I have no clue if the bottled version is any better or worse.

Salute! :mug:

Didn't like: Belgian Sour that tastes like bile

Nothing to like: Watery beer that has so little flavor it is not worth buying.

There is a difference between a bad beer and something that underwhelms you.

I like to drink water, I don't like to drink bile.

I havent tried the beer but I can bet that it is not a bad beer. It just has nothing there.
I have tasted some bad beers.

Forrest

I bought a couple singles of this to give it a shot. To me it tasted like a bud light w/ an orange squeezed in. I wouldn't buy it again, but I could choke one down if I was at a party and it was all they had.

I thought it was OK but I"m not a big fan of American Wheat beers. The bavarian ones are way better. I thought this was better than Widmer or the other American Hefes...

I was reading this thread when it first started, and last weekend I was out to lunch with some friends fresh off a brewery tour (Leienkugel's) and when we came in they had a drink special going on so I decided to try it. As far as macro brew goes it was pretty good, I don't think I would go out and buy a 6 or 12 pack of the stuff, but I would definitely drink it again.

I think people are being to hard on t is beer. Its not the best beer I've had. But its not that bad.

If anything this might get some if the BL or nothing guys try something new and maybe learn ti enjoy beers with flavor. And maybe help grow the craft beer market.

I think most the comments here reflect the audience. We're homebrewers. We have pride in the beers we make, I think it shows for the most part. That being said, it raises the bar for our expectations of beers. Personally I've never been a fan of anything AB and I may be quite the beer snob, but this BLGW is tailored for AB drinkers tastes. I will agree with you that I hope this kind of beer will help grow the craft brewed market.

yes there is a wheat beer by bud. bud light golden wheat is what it's called. personally, i wouldn't spend your money on it if i were you. i personally have had better wheat beers from other brewing companies and the bud light golden wheat is at the bottom of the list (at least my list, anyways). i've also made wheat beers myself that are alot better than the bud light golden wheat. one of my personal favorite store-bought wheat beer is from boulavard.;)

well maybe so, austinhomebrew, and that's your opinion. all i gave was just my friendly opinion.

It was not meant to offend, fellow Iowan. I am just speculating that the people who do like it would probably not be on this forum.

Forrest

I bought a six pack last weekend just to see (drank many Buds before I became a Beer Snob (my friends label, not mine). To me it tasted just like Bud Light - not anything like a wheat beer. The real kicker is it sold for 7.99 at the grocery store. For another buck I could have had a six pack Green Flash West Coast IPA!

yeah, I dont know whats going on. A year ago I started homebrewing. I used to love wheat beers. Now, I cant find one that I can stand. First drink is okay, but after that its crap. ...its probably just me.

So I was at Hooters last night, celebrating the birth of my Beloved Marine Corps (OOH-RAHH!), and they had Bud Light Wheat on Draft. After warming up with a Fat Tire, I figured I would give it a try.

I'm not a big fan of wit biers, they finish too fruity for me. The Bud Light Wheat tastes to me like a wit bier, but with a significantly less fruity finish. I would have to say I may have enjoyed it more than other wit biers that I have tried.

It's not going to be part of my regular beer diet, but I would rather drink it than Bud Light or the other MBC beers. Of course, if New Belgium or Bristol have a tap there, I'll gladly partake of those instead.

you guys seem to be getting hung up on how much we dislike BMC and giving seriously biased opinions based on this. I've tried it, its not bad, its a light version of a wheat beer, with flavors representative of the style. Remember, the whole reason craft beer drinkers dislike BMC is because of its lack of flavor, not because the flavors are "gross" or "terrible."

And for those of you wondering where the flavor is, you gotta stir up the sediment on these puppies, thats where nearly all of the flavor is. One thing that drinking craft brews comes with is extra calories, I'm always game for something thats easy on the waistline.

you guys seem to be getting hung up on how much we dislike BMC and giving seriously biased opinions based on this. I've tried it, its not bad, its a light version of a wheat beer, with flavors representative of the style.

I agree with gtpro... I hadn't tried it until one evening last week, SWMBO and I stopped at Chili's for a quick bite, and they had just emptied their last Sam Adams keg, so I decided to try the Bud Light Wheat that was on tap... I was actually expecting something with even less flavor than what it has. It's not something I'm going to order in most situtations, but if I had to choose between the BL Wheat and regular BL, I'll choose the wheat every time. In fact my father in-law had a 12 pack in the fridge so I had a few the other night. Plus I could see this as a very quenching beer after mowing the yard or something similar.

I actually like it for a lite BMC beer. When I bought it I thought it would have pop-tops so I was a little disappointed with that, but all and all not a bad beer. One thing I would like to add is that no BMC beer will ever be as bad as the miller lite one that had the lime and salt in it.

I tried it about a week ago, I took one sip, and I was done, for the evening,,, actually thought about giving up drinking FOREVER,,,, It really tasted to me, like it had cheap ladies PERFUME in it. I have been hanging round this site for about a year, I brew LIGHT beer, and haven't joined (till last night), because of all the disdain you guys have for us light beer drinkers. If this is a watered down verson of real beer, than there MAY be hope for alcoholics after all !!! I am amazed that some folks here like it, but then again, there really is no accounting for taste. I have SERIOUSLY tried to find a site for us that like Light beer, perhaps someone can reccomed one???? PS, I am no begginer, been drinking beer since 1970, seen the bottom a few bottles, ya know

Yes it is nice to see them try at a new style but they are trying to pass it off as bud light. Why would you call a wheat beer bud light? This is strictly for gathering the largest demographics attention to it to drive sales up by brand recognition. Obviously the name "shock top" just wasn't doing it.

Isn't shock top a hefe? This looks like a krystalweizen.

Back