Bruery Societies 2015 Allocations/Discussion Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually really liked Ukulele (and I loathe pepper beers) and really enjoyed Cabinet. Hell, I didn't hate Robo Blanco.

As for beer no one likes, most of the misses for me this yr have been the sours. Souren, Confessions, Bourgogne Blanc, Tart of Darkness were all big misses IMO. Imperial Or Xata was the only non infected, non sour beer that I thought was awful this yr.

Sans Pagaie was ridiculously sour too

Chronology:18
TM
16.6% ABV
$34.99 - $27.99
Purchase Limit: 6 Bottles
Society Exclusive

Chronology:18 is the third in a 4-part experiment with barrels and time. We brewed a beer rich and malty with undertones of brown sugar, toffee and toasted French bread and set it to age in bourbon barrels. Every six months we'll take a quarter of the barrels, blend them and bottle them. This third bottling represents the flavors imparted in the base beer after 18 months of barrel aging.

8vE4QuA1HJzQnYHb5UPj8W4doMObdMIRqC9Pd-Ej8pGM9-fYoCOCxU7PFMmmEObH-ENxH7d0Mfs_DAWvDlxJ9nG4eEUfw2LkQSGpqW8XqN3nII_1DPco=s0-d-e1-ft

Elements of Funk
TM: Brettanomyces Claussenii
6.5% ABV
$14.99 - $11.99
Purchase Limit: 4 Bottles

We're laying down a funky beat. Four beats, to be precise. It's our Elements of Funk series, designed to showcase the similarities and differences between four strains of brettanomyces, which the cool kids call "brett". To accomplish this, we started with a base beer that took inspiration from Saison de Lente, using a fairly simple malt bill, noble hops and familiar house yeast to leave the path to funk as unobstructed as possible. Following the base beer's fermentation in stainless steel, we then sent one quarter of it to the brite tank at a time. Each quarter was inoculated and separately bottled with a different strain of brettanomyces: lambicus, drei, claussenii and brux. While all four variants appear similar to the naked eye (and should be chilled and opened with caution,) the nuances are many.

Elements of Funk: Brettanomyces Claussenii exhibits wild, fresh, citrus and floral aromatics with pithy and herbaceous elements joining the funky, expansive party on the palate. As the claussenii continues to develop in the bottle, so will the beer's character and the elements of funk.

8vE4QuA1HJzQnYHb5UPj8W4doMObdMIRqC9Pd-Ej8pGM9-fYoCOCxU7PFMmmEObH-ENxH7d0Mfs_DAWvDlxJ9nG4eEUfw2LkQSGpqW8XqN3nII_1DPco=s0-d-e1-ft

White Chocolate
TM
16.6% ABV
$29.99 - $23.99

Essentially a barleywine-style ale, but made with a wheat-heavy grain base, the primary component of White Chocolate is a beer that we affectionately refer to as "White Oak Sap", which is 100% bourbon barrel-aged and the wheat wine component of our White Oak ale. After nearly a year in used bourbon barrels, the beer comes out rich in coconut, honey, caramel and vanilla. To complement the already rich flavors of this beer, we've added cacao nibs and fresh vanilla beans to give this beer the delicate flavor of white chocolate...hence the name.

Rueuze
®
6% ABV
$19.99 - $15.99

Rueuze is our take on the traditional Belgian-style blend of lambics of different ages. We carefully select a number of oak barrels from our warehouse that have been aging our sour blonde ale for anywhere from several months to several years and blend the beers together to what we find to be the ideal flavor. This is one complex beer. Notes of hay, barnyard funk, apricots and olives play wonderfully with the balanced acidity.

Your Mystery Beers Revealed!

Chocolate Salty BBLs
TM
16.4% ABV
$24.99 - $19.99
Society Exclusive

Chocolate Salty BBLs is bold and salty and brown. This imperial stout was aged in bourbon barrels, with vanilla beans, cacao nibs and salt added for extra succulence. Chocolate Salty BBLs gives you a savory, sweetmeat experience meant for sharing with friends.

Juggling Walruses
TM
10% ABV
$24.99 - $19.99
Society Exclusive

There were a lot of balls in play. And heavy lifting. You see, in relatively short order, Bruery Terreux had become quite robust, especially since the buildout and launch on April 22, 2015. We had amassed a substantial amount of filled barrels, from seasonal releases, one-time treats and cherished smaller batch experiments. The art of the blend beckoned, and we had our pick of the litter (or would that be herd?) For such a mysterious beer that became known around the office as Juggling Walruses, Tart of Darkness was the perfect place to begin, making up the highest percentage of contributing barrels. But it wasn't just Tart of Darkness as you've come to know it. About two-thirds of the barrels were wine barrel-aged Tart of Darkness; and the other third of the oak barrels from the sour stout were particularly young. Black currants were added to all these barrels, introducing a less familiar fruit to our lineup, with a darker hue and new nuances to the sour beer flavor profile.

When blended with the other oak barrel and bourbon barrel-aged beers that were carefully selected for this blend, Juggling Walruses exhibits dark fruits, roast and char on the nose, with vinous notes and oaky characteristics weaving through flavors reminiscent of midnight foraging for berries in the forest. The mystery, though now revealed, remains dark at present, and will continue to brighten and evolve over time, as the high alcohol, slow-building acidity and subtle fruit character fold into the malt base and mouthfeel.

TheBrueryStore.com through December 31.

Chocolate Salty BBLs is bold and salty and brown. This imperial stout was aged in bourbon barrels, with vanilla beans, cacao nibs and salt added for extra succulence. Chocolate Salty BBLs gives you a savory, sweetmeat experience meant for sharing with friends.

Great choice of wording there.

That being said, I like the sound of the beer.

Juggling Walruses legit sounds like a bad beer.

Wine barrel Tart of Darkness with black currants sounds like something I could be interested in. What I am worried about is the rest of whatever went into the blend, as Tart of Darkness has an ABV of 7.2% and the blend is at 10%. Unless Tart of Darkness picked up a bunch of ABV from fermenting out sugars in the currants, the rest of the blend has to be a bit above 12% alcohol.

Wine barrel Tart of Darkness with black currants sounds like something I could be interested in. What I am worried about is the rest of whatever went into the blend, as Tart of Darkness has an ABV of 7.2% and the blend is at 10%. Unless Tart of Darkness picked up a bunch of ABV from fermenting out sugars in the currants, the rest of the blend has to be a bit above 12% alcohol.
Probably White Oak Sap and/or Anniversary. Crunched the numbers and if you take 7.2% as the ToD ABV, the other 34% of the blend needs to average out to 15.43% ABV.

Probably White Oak Sap and/or Anniversary. Crunched the numbers and if you take 7.2% as the ToD ABV, the other 34% of the blend needs to average out to 15.43% ABV.

I read it as 2/3 of the barrels for the Tart of Darkness portion of the blend were wine barrels, rather than Tart of Darkness making up 2/3 of the total blend. Either way, yeah, there's not much left aside from White Oak Sap, BT, and Anniversary beers to make up the rest of the ABV.

Saw this:

About two-thirds of the barrels were wine barrel-aged Tart of Darkness; and the other third of the oak barrels from the sour stout were particularly young. Black currants were added to all these barrels

and was pretty stoked. Then saw it included:

Probably White Oak Sap and/or Anniversary

and was instantly less stoked

Looks like the Christmas sale returns this year on Friday.

"12 Days of Christmas begins at the Tasting Room on Friday 12/11. Don't miss your chance at rare & archived surprises."

I havent seen anyone talk about it, so ill mention it. Humulus Terreux is easily one of the worst things ive put in my mouth in quite some time. Not because its infected or a wretched mess but because its like seltzer water.

I had to have a bad/misfilled bottle that was accidentally cut with water and/or sanitizing solution or something. It had the faintest hop character which was the only beer aspect to it. Honestly, it reminded me of my first homebrew experiment with doing a "second runnings" small beer. So watery in the feels. Even at a lower than typical pricepoint for the Bruery, I wont buy anymore of this regardless of what hop and brett combinations they come up with next. There is no way this is how they intended/wanted this to turn out.

Does anyone have a list of the Mystery Beers over the years (hey that rhymes)? I know Chocolate Rain, Wanderer, Bottleworks XII, and White Chocolate were mystery beers at one point, but I don't remember the others.

Does anyone have a list of the Mystery Beers over the years (hey that rhymes)? I know Chocolate Rain, Wanderer, Bottleworks XII, and White Chocolate were mystery beers at one point, but I don't remember the others.
2011 = Chocolate Rain
2012 = White Chocolate and Grey Monday (GM actually replaced a piece of merch, there was only one mystery beer promised)
2013 = Bottleworks XII and The Wanderer
2014 = Roble Blanco and Sourrento
2015 = Chocolate Salty BBLs and Juggling Walruses

Pretty sure that's complete and accurate.

2011 = Chocolate Rain
2012 = White Chocolate and Grey Monday (GM actually replaced a piece of merch, there was only one mystery beer promised)

Thanks. Yikes, that's a pretty big drop off after 2013.

2011 = Chocolate Rain

Glad to see someone else remembering GM was in lieu of promised merch, rather than an official Mystery Beer.

I havent seen anyone talk about it, so ill mention it. Humulus Terreux is easily one of the worst things ive put in my mouth in quite some time. Not because its infected or a wretched mess but because its like seltzer water.

I had to have a bad/misfilled bottle that was accidentally cut with water and/or sanitizing solution or something. It had the faintest hop character which was the only beer aspect to it. Honestly, it reminded me of my first homebrew experiment with doing a "second runnings" small beer. So watery in the feels. Even at a lower than typical pricepoint for the Bruery, I wont buy anymore of this regardless of what hop and brett combinations they come up with next. There is no way this is how they intended/wanted this to turn out.

Must have been. I enjoyed my bottle.

Must have been. I enjoyed my bottle.
I enjoyed mine as well. Having a Humulus Rueuze right now that's not bad either.

Any recent Mango Hottenroth opinions? I know it had its problems early on but seemed to get better with some time. $20 seems a tad steep and I'd like to know what I'm getting for that price.

Any recent Mango Hottenroth opinions? I know it had its problems early on but seemed to get better with some time. $20 seems a tad steep and I'd like to know what I'm getting for that price.

Cracked one about a month ago. Very muddled. I think it took away from the original base beer. I agree the $20 mark is a bit steep when you can get peaches for $15

Cracked one about a month ago. Very muddled. I think it took away from the original base beer. I agree the $20 mark is a bit steep when you can get peaches for $15

I think they botched the price initially. Looks like $19.99 was before the discount.

Humulus Terreux is solid. A lesser Orval with American hops.
I really like Orval and I didnt get that same feeling while drinking it. Guess ill chalk the experience up as bottle variation? I dont have another to test that theory.

In other news, I was pleasantly surprised by bourgogne blanc. Most bruery sours make me cringe with their acidity and higher alcohol sours are really not my thing. However, this was very soft in its sourness and the alcohol was well hidden. My wife enjoyed the hell out of it which further proves I dont understand her or her tastes.

BA reviews show I enjoyed this beer much more than the average person. Having said that, $20 for a bottle is an easy pass IMO.

It did not taste like hottenroth to me. It tasted like tropicana orange/peach/mango juice with extra pulp

I really like Orval and I didnt get that same feeling while drinking it. Guess ill chalk the experience up as bottle variation? I dont have another to test that theory.

In other news, I was pleasantly surprised by bourgogne blanc. Most bruery sours make me cringe with their acidity and higher alcohol sours are really not my thing. However, this was very soft in its sourness and the alcohol was well hidden. My wife enjoyed the hell out of it which further proves I dont understand her or her tastes.

This is good to hear as I got a bottle of this from DDB. He also sent me Ride The Goat which I enjoyed quite a bit. Really nice beer to drink with a cigar.

BA reviews show I enjoyed this beer much more than the average person. Having said that, $20 for a bottle is an easy pass IMO.

It did not taste like hottenroth to me. It tasted like tropicana orange/peach/mango juice with extra pulp

They priced it incorrectly. $19.99 was the pre-discount price so naturally I'm back to thinking about buying it even though it's only three dollars less.

Back