Bruery Societies 2015 Allocations/Discussion Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mean, they had a lot of carbing issues with it, thus the bump to the next year of Societies that had a chance to grab it.

Anybody tried BA 7 Swans a Swimming or Juggling Walruses?
Yes, my tasting notes on those from BA (both based on tasters at the brewery, so bottles may vary):
BA 7 Swans - Found it to be very disjointed, big light fruit character up front (apples and pears) with bourbon and heat on the back. Flavors might integrate over time but it's not what I want out of a BA quad.

Juggling Walruses - Poor man's Consecration, I didn't find anything to dislike about it (on draft at least, haven't opened a bottle), but I also wasn't particularly impressed with it. I think Wine Barrel ToD alone would've been more interesting, but that wouldn't use up any Anniversary barrels, so scratch that idea...

And if you're curious about the rest of this month's allocations:
Chocolate Salty BBLs - Pretty much Chocolate Rain Lite. Salt character is almost non-existent and without the salt, it lacks anything to set it apart. If you're a big CR fan, you can get 80% of the CR character for 60% of the price, so I guess that's a plus. Disappointing as a mystery beer.

Chronology 18 - Good, but borderline overbarreled. Some pretty strong woody notes coming through and quite hot. I think the concept peaked at Chron12 but some people will probably really like this.

Elements of Funk Brett Claussenii - Good Bretted saison with a nice level of acidity for how young it is. Not exceedingly complex but super drinkable and likely to show some interesting evolution over the next 6 - 12 months.

Humulus TrIPLe - Second best hoppy beer the Bruery has ever produced, behind Humulus Lager. Doesn't stand up the top tier IPAs, but tasty in its own right and worth buying if you're going to drink it fresh.

White Chocolate - About 90% as good as the 2012 batch, doesn't quite have that same explosion of white chocolate flavor but it's close enough to be worth buying. I didn't detect any tartness or off flavors out of the bottle, so whoever did was either incredibly unlucky or is mentally projecting.

So I guess ill be the shitlord who starts talking 2016 business in the 2015 thread...

I am confused. The new anniversary ale (scotch barrel aged) is a part of the welcome package? So, instead of getting the anniversary old ales in April/May they are already rolling out? Or maybe just this one...kinda strange no?

They also spilled the beans that coming soon will be a new batch of blue bbls as well as white mocha (did i miss reading about this before?)

We are limited to 6 bottles of **** yet its going to be a publicly released beer. Seems like an interesting choice but im not mad...lots of interesting stuff that I think ill buy at least 1-2 each of.

THIS MONTH'S ALLOCATIONS
The following beers are available to order any time between now and Friday, January 22. Other than initial packages, pickups and deliveries begin Monday, January 11.

Mocha Wednesday
Poterie - Scotch Barrel-Aged
Room for Me™
Chupacabra Quinceañera™
So Happens It's Tuesday™
Chronology:6 Wee Heavy
Les Ronces
Batch No. 1731™

Mocha Wednesday™
Mocha Wednesday is the perfect follow-up to Black Tuesday®, adding layers of artisan dark chocolate and bold coffee flavors, especially when consumed fresh, thanks to cacao nibs from San Francisco-based TCHO and freshly roasted coffee from OC’s own Portola Coffee Lab.
19.4% ABV
Society Exclusive; Limit 8

Poterie™ - Scotch Barrel-Aged
Poterie is French for “pottery”, the traditional eight-year anniversary gift. Our eighth anniversary ale, Poterie, follows in the footsteps of our anniversary releases before it, which are loosely based on an English-style old ale and fermented with our house yeast strain. This edition was 100% aged in oak barrels that previously held Scotch, imparting a subtle smoky complexity to complement the robust flavors of toffee, caramel, dark fruit, vanilla and oak. Poterie will age gracefully for decades when cellared properly.
14.8% ABV
Society Exclusive; Limit 6

Room for Me™
We all know the old adage: “when life hands you a lemon, make lemonade.” But what do you do when your friends at Masumoto Family Farms deliver a fresh harvest of juicy nectarines? You stop what you’re doing and join coworkers from all areas of the company at Bruery Terreux to carve up nectarines to make a small batch, limited edition, fruited sour. Nectarines with a sour blonde ale aged in oak: it’s the perfect fit.
5.9% ABV
Hoarders Release; Limit 3

Chupacabra Quinceañera™
Chupacabra Quinceañera is a refreshing 100% Brett-fermented blonde beer bursting with clean tropical aroma from the unique brett strain used for fermentation. These notes are complemented with the subtle use of Simcoe and Amarillo hops, which add layers of tangerine and passionfruit. It's quite the party.
4.9% ABV
Hoarders Release; Limit 3

So Happens It's Tuesday™
Our infamous Black Tuesday® stout is named in honor of the great stock market crash of 1929. So Happens It’s Tuesday is similarly dark and delicious, but in a more affable format, reminding us that there is always a bit of good to be found within the bad. Things happen, life goes on. This beer can be enjoyed in all of those moments and seasons.
14% ABV
Pre-public release (1/12); Limit 6

Chronology:6™ Wee Heavy
We’re at it again with Old Father Time for a new Chronology Series™ - a Scotchology, if you will, with a base resembling a Scotch-style ale. In this installment, we brewed a wee heavy - known for rich, malt-forward flavors - and set it to age in bourbon barrels. Every six months, we’ll take a quarter of the barrels, blend them and bottle them. This first bottling represents the nuances imparted to the base beer after six months of barrel aging.
13.7% ABV

Les Ronces™
Loosely translated as "The Brambles", Les Ronces is rooted in Southern California charm. The juicy fruit was commercially brought to life near Bruery Terreux at Knott's farm in Buena Park, California in the early 1930s. Since their peak in popularity, the berries have become more scarce and elusive, and at the same time, an ideal cohort for our wildly traditional bière™. In Les Ronces, the boysenberries impart a reddish-purple hue to the oak-aged ale, with their sweet-tart flavor profile complementing the sour blonde base in a light jammy, puckering and refreshing fashion.
6% ABV

Batch No. 1731™
Batch No. 1731 is a 100% brettanomyces-fermented hoppy session ale created by homebrewer Kevin Osborne of Los Angeles. When we judged through all of our competition entries, his complex yet quaffable creation shouted WINNER! (as well as tropical!, funky! and dry!). It puts El Dorado, Mosaic and Chinook hops on a pedestal as much as one possibly could.
5.1% ABV
Limited; Limit 6

ON THE HORIZON
The next one to three months

THE BRUERY
White Mocha™, Or Xata™, Chocolate Rain®, White Oak™

BRUERY TERREUX
Filmishmish®, Sourrento™, Blue BBLs®, Frucht™ (the first installment in our series of fruited Berliner Weisses)

the two HS beers.... one sounds great (room for me) and the other (Quinceañera) makes me wonder why it's an HS only beer?

Last edited:
Humulus TrIPLe - Second best hoppy beer the Bruery has ever produced, behind Humulus Lager. Doesn't stand up the top tier IPAs, but tasty in its own right and worth buying if you're going to drink it fresh.

100% agreed. It's no Kiwi Rising (yes I know its not a triple ipl), but drank better than the JA Triple IPL. Jacks Abby is the only real other hoppy lager producer I've had that does the style justice.

Can we bring back Humulus Palm PLZ!? dontdrinkbeer amirite

So I guess ill be the shitlord who starts talking 2016 business in the 2015 thread...

I am confused. The new anniversary ale (scotch barrel aged) is a part of the welcome package? So, instead of getting the anniversary old ales in April/May they are already rolling out? Or maybe just this one...kinda strange no?

They also spilled the beans that coming soon will be a new batch of blue bbls as well as white mocha (did i miss reading about this before?)

We are limited to 6 bottles of **** yet its going to be a publicly released beer. Seems like an interesting choice but im not mad...lots of interesting stuff that I think ill buy at least 1-2 each of.
why not start this year's bruery society thread?

why not start this year's bruery society thread?
mods can we get a title rename to remove the year and have this be a general society discussion?

with there being membership overlap from one year into the next i dont think its necessary to have exclusive year threads. yes? no?

mods can we get a title rename to remove the year and have this be a general society discussion?

with there being membership overlap from one year into the next i dont think its necessary to have exclusive year threads. yes? no?

Todd's House of Suck has distinct threads for each year. I vote we do the opposite.

100% agreed. It's no Kiwi Rising (yes I know its not a triple ipl), but drank better than the JA Triple IPL. Jacks Abby is the only real other hoppy lager producer I've had that does the style justice.

Can we bring back Humulus Palm PLZ!? dontdrinkbeer amirite
seconded

also can i get a nod to the wildly undersung humulus terreaux?

now that I am not in any bruery society am I allowed to give them any praise? any at all?

also can i get a nod to the wildly undersung humulus terreaux?
Really tasty beer. If they'd focused more on beers like that and less on **** like Flanders Giant and Juggling Walruses, I might have renewed for this year.

now that I am not in any bruery society am I allowed to give them any praise? any at all?
Yes, but only if you frame it within the context that your departure spurred them to reconsider their existence and improve their offerings.

Really tasty beer. If they'd focused more on beers like that and less on **** like Flanders Giant and Juggling Walruses, I might have renewed for this year.

Yes, but only if you frame it within the context that your departure spurred them to reconsider their existence and improve their offerings.
Damn I'm surprised you didn't renew. You were pretty active and knowledgeable on bruery beers. Thought you were a lifer.

Damn I'm surprised you didn't renew. You were pretty active and knowledgeable on bruery beers. Thought you were a lifer.
Yeah, I realized this year I wasn't enjoying their beers enough to justify continuing as a member. A lot of their newer ideas were proving to be more curiosities than really enjoyable at best (like Imperial Cabinet) and hilariously bad at worst (Roble Blanco and Flanders Giant), but even normally reliable beers like Sour in the Rye and Sans Pagaie seemed off. You could make an argument that it was the first year of Terreux, but the game of "next year they'll have everything back on track" has already been played a couple times. I'll still pick up a couple bottles of Melange #3 every year and probably buy a bottle of each Christmas beer to complete the vertical, but I'm just not their target audience at this point.

Yeah, I realized this year I wasn't enjoying their beers enough to justify continuing as a member. A lot of their newer ideas were proving to be more curiosities than really enjoyable at best (like Imperial Cabinet) and hilariously bad at worst (Roble Blanco and Flanders Giant), but even normally reliable beers like Sour in the Rye and Sans Pagaie seemed off. You could make an argument that it was the first year of Terreux, but the game of "next year they'll have everything back on track" has already been played a couple times. I'll still pick up a couple bottles of Melange #3 every year and probably buy a bottle of each Christmas beer to complete the vertical, but I'm just not their target audience at this point.
Damn, I really liked Flander's Giant and enjoyed Roble for what it was, a crazy experiment. Imagine if they did that as a lower ABV beer, ppl would be JO-ing over it.

I'll continue to be a member for BT, CR, and MW alone. I just love those beers. Seem to always have one of their big ass beers open and stopped in my fridge that I nip over the course of 4 days.

It has gotten to the point though where I spends 1,000s with the bruery and very little on any other brewery. I may reconsider next yr.

Back