BrewPi@ESP8266, no need of RPI and Arduino.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi! I have an calibrated ispindel, i use direct to brewfather. It sends the correct gravity value.
I want send the gravity to the brewpiless, but the values is absolute incorrect.
In gravity menu the ispindel is on, all other is off.
What can i doing, to the correct value?
Sorry for my bad english.

Do you get the correct values when you use something like brewspy?
Brewspy can use the formula from the ispindel or use formula in brewspy. This could be your issue with brewfather and brewpiless. There is an ispindle thread on this forum worth a look there as well.
I'm on holiday away from my ispindels and brewpiless so limited information beyond these ideas.

I'm successfully running on 4.1 but have this warning shown briefly when the page loads. I'm not using any gravity device, is it related and can I turn it off? Cheers

Screenshot_20220710_085317_com.android.chrome.jpg

I'm successfully running on 4.1 but have this warning shown briefly when the page loads. I'm not using any gravity device, is it related and can I turn it off? Cheers

NO. It's more convenient for me to just have gravity axis.

Ive just installed ( realise I could have tried upgrade ) from 4.0 to

BrewPiLess.v4.2rc4.oled.ispindel.bin

BrewPiLess.v4.2rc4.oled.esp8266.4m2m.bin

I have tried both of these with my oled display on correct type 1306

But I just get a flashing display with lines. Previously I got text on the screen before the update. Is the oled for brewpiless meant to be wired differently?
Is there a pin and wiring diagram somewhere for the oled setup please. I'm using a lolin esp 8266.

I have it wired as per this arrangement.
oled on brewpiless.png

and it brings up a display with text on using this binary

based on the webpage

here
https://www.diyhomebrewers.com/2021/03/repetidor-ispindel-con-display-oled.html
I'm using google translate on that page.

I'm reckoning that the real brewpiless is expecting input and output from different pins for the oled display but cant seem to find what this is.

A picture of your display might help.

The most important new features, as I remember, are
  • Rotating LCD for extra information, like iSpiondel information, Humidity, and pressure.
  • New 'Write on buffer full' option for logging to reduce flash writing.

If you don't need the additional information display, change the setting in "System" page. The display will adapt according to availability of information. If no extra information is available, only IP address is displayed.

Please aware of the "write on buffer full" option, which delays the writing of log if enabled. Logging data might be lost when the system resets.

A picture of your display might help.

The most important new features, as I remember, are
  • Rotating LCD for extra information, like iSpiondel information, Humidity, and pressure.
  • New 'Write on buffer full' option for logging to reduce flash writing.

If you don't need the additional information display, change the setting in "System" page. The display will adapt according to availability of information. If no extra information is available, only IP address is displayed.

Please aware of the "write on buffer full" option, which delays the writing of log if enabled. Logging data might be lost when the system resets.
Sorry it's taken so long video is of screen appearance with the 4.2 installs as mentioned in post 1207 above.

Still picture is with firmware from this site
https://www.diyhomebrewers.com/2021/03/repetidor-ispindel-con-display-oled.htmlIMG_20220924_101125.jpg

Not sure why I get this screen chaos with the 4.2 updates.
I have tried the options in system for screen but it made no difference to the display.

Do I need to really change that resistor, it's been fine on the 2 sensors for the last ages?
No, but as day_tripper says it’s recommended. If it’s not working now that would be one thing to try. You can always piggyback/double-up a 4k7 to get close to a 2k2.

Think about it like filling a reservoir. You want enough water trickling in there so that it fills up in between emptying it. If there’s not enough water coming in, there’s no difference between filling (logical high) and emptying (logical low.)

The pull up is almost mechanical in that respect, and certainly not magical.

When you have thinner or longer wires, thinner or longer traces, or lower voltage (or all of these) you need a stronger (lower number) pull-up. Remember Ohm’s law: A 2k2 is almost the same amperage on 3v3 as 4k7 is on 5v0 (certainly close enough for this use.)

Sorry it's taken so long video is of screen appearance with the 4.2 installs as mentioned in post 1207 above.

Still picture is with firmware from this site
https://www.diyhomebrewers.com/2021/03/repetidor-ispindel-con-display-oled.htmlView attachment 781765

Not sure why I get this screen chaos with the 4.2 updates.
I have tried the options in system for screen but it made no difference to the display.

Probably it's a hardware issue, bad wiring or dying OLED display. The software would never write illegal characters.

Probably it's a hardware issue, bad wiring or dying OLED display. The software would never write illegal characters.
It seems strange how a variant of the brewpiless software the display is working correctly as per the still photo.
Yet if I install the 4.2 firmware from Vitotai the screen is chaos as per the video.
I'm not changing the hardware in anyway at all just a software change.
The OLED is fine, could the 4.2 software be sending it's data via different pins to the screen from that of the design and software from diyhomebrewers?

Has anyone wired the OLED screen onto a Lolin ESP8266 and got it working? Are my wirings the same?

@LBussy
Thank you, so the 4k7 resistor is currently too large for the two sensors it is wired across and choking the filling of my " reservoir of power too much ". Yet I'm thinking I might have this completely wrong as you say I could use two of the 4k7 to mimic the effect of the 2k2.

These ds18b20 sensor outputs can only drive a signal to a Low ("0") state, which is roughly within a couple hundred millivolts of the GND level. They rely on the pull-up resistor to establish High (1) states. As you add sensors and the wire thereto capacitance is added which can (will) affect the transition "slope" from a low level to a high level (ie: from a 0 to a 1). If that slope is excessive it can cause communication errors.

Again, many compact One-Wire networks will work using a 4.7K pull-up to 3.3V, but it's not the optimal solution...

Cheers!

Thank you, so the 4k7 resistor is currently too large for the two sensors it is wired across and choking the filling of my " reservoir of power too much ". Yet I'm thinking I might have this completely wrong as you say I could use two of the 4k7 to mimic the effect of the 2k2.
Maybe. I mean if everything else is right, this could be it. The only way you'd be able to tell without making the pull-up stronger is to see it on a scope. Dave's description is much more technically correct than my own, and you should always listen to him in a discussion about electronics. My own projects work much better when I do. :)

Again, many compact One-Wire networks will work using a 4.7K pull-up to 3.3V, but it's not the optimal solution...
Yep, agreed. Especially with @Thorrak's board. :p

It's a nearly free and very easy thing to try if you are sure the wiring is correct I'm 99.9999% sure his board allows selecting the sensor power between 3v3 and 5v0 (you have to pick one!) but the data pull-up is 3v3 as it should be.

Back again.

Could someone point me in the direction of how to wire in a pressure sensor and a solenoid valve onto the Esp8266.

A circuit diagram or list of wire to these pins would be ideal.
I've ordered the ADS1115 adc that is needed for this as well.

I'm hoping to set up pressure monitoring and autospunding as a bit of a challenge.

Thanks

Does anyone have a picture or instructions of how to wire the ads1115 adc and the pressure sensor ideally also the solenoid valve to an esp8266 so that I can set up pressure monitoring and autospunding.
I have the lolin esp8266 node mcu or a D1 mini.

Just posting this here in case someone else looks for this info...

I am currently doing a Brewpiless build. V1 (breadboard version) is running a Black IPA now. I have a 120V AC / 5V DC relay module that is pretty common and read somewhere that since these ESP8266 boards only use 3.3V output on pins, the module will have trouble switching on/off. That I would have to use a transistor to route external 5V signal to relay. After several hours of searching online, including this thread, turns out this is not needed on these relay modules that have built in optoisolator/transistor circuit.

Thank you to author of Brewpiless and those who have kept it going all these years. Very useful since cost of Raspberry Pi's are crazy.

After several hours of searching online, including this thread, turns out this is not needed on these relay modules that have built in optoisolator/transistor circuit.
You can power the relay with 5V and the input with three. Take a look at the schematics. You need to remove the jumper and use both power inputs, one for logic and one for power.

Voltage output of the pressure sensor needs to be linear. So I think analog.
The sensor I bought only cost 18 NZ dollars so not much more expensive or cheaper than the one you found.
You do need an adc 1115 as well in the cost.

Last edited:
I'm confused, so you have Fermentrack (raspi) that controls BewPiLess(esp32). Why can't you just use Fermentrack (raspi) or some other software to control smart switches (tp-kasa) and pull data from a remote sensor. I've dome something similar with home assistant running on a mac mini server.

I'm in the processing of building a esp32 BrewPiLess and it's about $50 in hardware + raspi $35+ if you can find one in stock (luckily I have one laying around). There should be a way to do everything with just a raspi and not need the esp32.

You can power the relay with 5V and the input with three. Take a look at the schematics. You need to remove the jumper and use both power inputs, one for logic and one for power.
Yes that is what I am doing. I use the 5V out of ESP8266 as relay VCC and Digital pin out of ESP8266 (@ 3.3V) to turn relay on/off. I was trying to settle a myth that I found prevalent online that said the on/off signal must be 5V (not 3.3V) in order to work properly.

I'm confused, so you have Fermentrack (raspi) that controls BewPiLess(esp32). Why can't you just use Fermentrack (raspi) or some other software to control smart switches (tp-kasa) and pull data from a remote sensor. I've dome something similar with home assistant running on a mac mini server.

I'm in the processing of building a esp32 BrewPiLess and it's about $50 in hardware + raspi $35+ if you can find one in stock (luckily I have one laying around). There should be a way to do everything with just a raspi and not need the esp32.
Are you questioning the purpose of this thread? If so, the purpose is to not use a raspi. In case you have not noticed, over the last two years, the price of a Rpi has gotten crazy, if you can even find them. I have no spare Pis (but a few ESP8266 laying around) and found this project very useful because of that.

Are you questioning the purpose of this thread? If so, the purpose is to not use a raspi. In case you have not noticed, over the last two years, the price of a Rpi has gotten crazy, if you can even find them. I have no spare Pis (but a few ESP8266 laying around) and found this project very useful because of that.
I guess you aren't using Fermentrack with BrewPiLess, I was planning to go that route to push data to brew father.

I can fork fermentrack and have it directly control smart switches and use a smart thermometer (or even ispindel) as a sensor to drive a time stepped PID algo if it doesn't already do that without an ESP8266/32. I'll have to dig in more this weekend.

I guess you aren't using Fermentrack with BrewPiLess, I was planning to go that route to push data to brew father.

I can fork fermentrack and have it directly control smart switches and use a smart thermometer (or even ispindel) as a sensor to drive a time stepped PID algo if it doesn't already do that without an ESP8266/32. I'll have to dig in more this weekend.
Correct we are using this

https://github.com/vitotai/BrewPiLess
Use an ESP8266 ( or ESP32) to replace RPI and Arduino. Running BrewPi without Pi, therefore, BrewPi-Less

Yes, you can. But then take a look at CraftBierPi. Do not reinvent the weel

I think you all are missing connecting point that he's confused about.
  • BrewPiLess (this project) is a BrewPi-inspired project that needs no Pi or computer or anything - it is completely self-contained.
  • BrewPi-ESP8266 (a different project) is a firmware made to use an ESP-8266 with Ferrmentrack or BrewPi, replacing the Arduino
  • BrewPi and Fermentrack (two other projects) serve the user interface from a more powerful web/Python server while retaining a controller for its stability
You can control whatever you like with a Pi, but a dedicated microcontroller will be more reliable.

Last edited:
I think you all are missing connecting point that he's confused about.
  • BrewPiLess (this project) is a BrewPi-inspired project that needs no Pi or computer or anything - it is completely self-contained.
  • BrewPi-ESP8266 (a different project_ is a firmware made to use an ESP-8266 with Ferrmentrack or BrewPi, replacing the Arduino
  • BrewPi and Fermentrack (two other projects) serve the user interface from a more powerful web/Python server while retaining a controller for it's stability
You can control whatever you like with a Pi, but a dedicated microcontroller will be more reliable.
Thanks! this is exactly the info I needed to clear things up. Do you know if there are any open source projects for tracking keg weight to determine how full it is, I've seen some beer places have a screen with all the beers on tap with a graphic of a keg that shows how full it is.

Edit: GitHub - RaspberryPints/RaspberryPints: A digital signage version of the common chalkboard-based taplist. Based on the kegerface/kegerface git. I think this is the exact software I saw

Last edited:
Thanks! this is exactly the info I needed to clear things up. Do you know if there are any open source projects for tracking keg weight to determine how full it is, I've seen some beer places have a screen with all the beers on tap with a graphic of a keg that shows how full it is.

Edit: GitHub - RaspberryPints/RaspberryPints: A digital signage version of the common chalkboard-based taplist. Based on the kegerface/kegerface git. I think this is the exact software I saw

@mper has his kegmon project which is an open source scale, similar to the Plaato Keg. @LBussy has his Keg Cop project which is an open source flow meter. Raspberry Pints you already know about, which is an open source tap list. I've got my own version which is KegScreen which is coming... eventually.

Fermentrack doesn't do this, as you noted, but you're welcome to try to get it working. As it's a separate project from BrewPiLess I'd request we chat in the Fermentrack thread but I'm happy to provide some guidance if you'd like as to what I think you might need to do to get it working. Additionally, you might want to take a look at Fuscus, which is an implementation of BrewPi in Python, designed to run on a Raspberry Pi. I used to use it, but found that the SD cards that are typically used in RPis don't really last that long, and when your Pi dies and permanently locks your fridge "on" that results in beer slushies!

Back