BrewPi@ESP8266, no need of RPI and Arduino.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally finished my BrewPiLess acrylic case. It uses the same idea of the BrewPi case available on Thingiverse, using only screws/nuts to put all the pieces together.

uhsSVnV.png

ENQ8vWv.png

rmBBv6a.png

Yes, I know, the wiring is not so beautiful but it's fine as long as it works.

Posted all the files here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2924101

Parts used in this project:
- 1 x BrewManiacEx/BrewPiLess Brewshield (http://vito.tw/?p=576)
- 1 x Wemos D1 Mini ESP8266 board (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BK435ZW)
- 1 x LCD module I2C for Arduino (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GPUMP9C)
- 1 x 5V/2A power supply (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074DR4ZD8)
- 2 x DS18B20 - 6 feet - temperature sensor (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EU70ZL8)
- 2 x Mini XLR 3 pins male socket (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014EJY0JE)
- 2 x Mini XLR 3 pins female socket (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J33CF48)
- 1 x 2 Channel DC 5V Relay Module with Optocoupler (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E0NTPP4/)
- 1 x 10A 250V AC Schurter, model 6765 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DWIKI3Q)
- 1 x Wall Power Outlet Decora-style 15A Wall Outlet (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CE95O0/)

Assorted screws, wires, connectors and power cord.

Last edited:
That's awesome - I really like the execution.
However, you might have a big problem with that AC bulkhead...

Cheers!
Good point.

Mine says it handles up to 15 amps. So, considering your previous information it would be safe to run not more than 7,5 amps (50%). For my compact fridge it wouldn't be a problem but one may be running at the edge of it's capability.

I believe those Schurter bulkheads will deliver what they promise. I included this bulkhead at the list for those who are considering to build one.

The linked bulkead claims a 10A rating, and trying to dig out the specs on the switch used is a dive into a rabbit hole.
But I've been drinking :D so maybe tomorrow I can figure it out.

Did you notice if the switch module actually had 15A molded into it? When I pried one out of mine it turned out to have 6A on it.
I'd love to replace mine - perhaps just with an uprated switch - rather than resorting to bypassing them and using the line cord as a switch ;)

Cheers!

Hey, does anyone played with PID and other settings? Like JSON commands in this case. What do you have for your PIDs and Estimators, max, min etc? Do you change it to improve algorithms or all default is fine for most cases? Are the estimators a self learning?

Usign 3.0 now

EDIT
I managed to wipe the board with esptool and upload a fresh install of v3, and all is well. Would've preferred to spend my evening in other ways, but such is brew life.

---

Well, I've neglected my BrewPiLess and fermentation chamber for quite a while, and I think it may be suffering.

The system was running for about 6 months while storing beer in the chest freezer (my chamber). I brewed today, and when I went to save a new profile I kept getting "error:500." I've updated to v3 of the software, but things aren't much better.

1. When I go to set the temperature mode, I get the error "Not connected to controller."
  2. When I try to create a new profile with temps in F (even though the column is labeled as C), I get the error "invalid value. check again"
  3. When I try to put in appropriate Celsius temps (even though the device is set to Fahrenheit) I get the error "failed:500:

Last edited:
the setting "maxCoolTimeForEst" means what is the maximum cool time? I have set it to 1500 so it should be 25 min but my fridge is still cooling more than 5min. Maybe this does only effect in beer constant mode?

I am still on 2.4, to be honest, dunno how to do OTA update and afraid to update while still works. :no:

I am still on 2.4, to be honest, dunno how to do OTA update and afraid to update while still works. :no:
there is a well explained guide at page #14 on how to flash the bins for the ESP8266, dont know about OTA updates

Yeah updating seems to be easy and there is not much setting to be set after fresh install. I only have sometimes problems that on the webpage I see that controller is not uploading data and "failled to connect to server", dunno why.

What is web address for OTA update?
Is it brewpilessipadress:8088/systemupdate? Doesn't work here.

EDIT: I see now, it is 8008 instead of 8088 ;)

the setting "maxCoolTimeForEst" means what is the maximum cool time? I have set it to 1500 so it should be 25 min but my fridge is still cooling more than 5min. Maybe this does only effect in beer constant mode?

maxCoolTimeForEst is the max time to estimate how far the temperature goes down after turning off the cooling. The effect is longer "idle" time after cooling to get the estimation. If glycol is used, this value can be reduced since the temperature stop dropping quickly after flow of glycol stops.

minCoolTime and minCoolIdleTime might be what you are looking for. Be careful messing with them if you are using a fridge.

Yeah updating seems to be easy and there is not much setting to be set after fresh install. I only have sometimes problems that on the webpage I see that controller is not uploading data and "failled to connect to server", dunno why.

I will suggest to clear the flash. SPIFFS is not designed to be used like what general file systems do. After a period of write/re-write, the file system will become fragmented, and unpredictable problem might happen. The issue is addressed in latest v3.0 by limiting the writing to SPIFFS.

Just use this URL to format SPIFFS.
http://brewpiless.local:8008/format-spiffs

Someone has reported that data logging to ubidots.com sometimes doesn’t work. The reason is that when temperature values are not available, BPL inserts a “null” as value. For example, beerSet will be “null” in Fridge constant mode. Ubidots.com rejects the WHOLE if there is a “null” at one of the value positions. I work around by using 255 instead of null. It works but ugly. The following solutions are considered:
1, just using 255
ugly, IMO.
2, a new setting to specify invalid value.
Still an invalid value is needed.
3, ignore the whole report if anything is invalid
Some valid information is missed.
4, ignore the invalid fields.
Not an option without knowing the format. Current design is very versatile and can be used for nearly all text based format.

Any opinions are welcome.

I will suggest to clear the flash. SPIFFS is not designed to be used like what general file systems do. After a period of write/re-write, the file system will become fragmented, and unpredictable problem might happen. The issue is addressed in latest v3.0 by limiting the writing to SPIFFS.

Just use this URL to format SPIFFS.
http://brewpiless.local:8008/format-spiffs

This is pretty fresh ESP but I will do.

EDIT: I did format SPIFFS and now I do not have graph displaying :D

upload_2018-7-27_23-8-1.png

I have this problem sometimes, where it suppose to cool it is "waiting to cool". Fridge idle is set to 10 min so it is not that, deadtime should not play a role here as there was no heating. What can it be? It happens like once or twice a day.

C:{"tempFormat":"C","tempSetMin": 1.0,"tempSetMax": 30.0,"pidMax": 10.000,"Kp": 5.000,"Ki": 0.250,"Kd":-1.500,"iMaxErr": 0.500,"idleRangeH": 1.000,"idleRangeL":-1.000,"heatTargetH": 0.299,"heatTargetL":-0.199,"coolTargetH": 0.199,"coolTargetL":-0.299,"maxHeatTimeForEst":600,"maxCoolTimeForEst":1200,"minCoolTime":300,"minCoolIdleTime":600,"minHeatTime":180,"minHeatIdleTime":300,"deadTime":5000,"fridgeFastFilt":1,"fridgeSlowFilt":4,"fridgeSlopeFilt":3,"beerFastFilt":3,"beerSlowFilt":4,"beerSlopeFilt":4,"lah":0,"hs":0}

My guess is your fridge has an auto-defrost cycle that kicked in around 2200.
All of my fridges have auto-defrost, and one of them stupidly kicks off a defrost cycle the first time power is applied after the unit has been off (nothing fermenting) for more than one day. The resulting lack of response really messes with BrewPi's PID settings, so once that fridge gets done with the defrost cycle I reset and restart that BrewPi minion. If I don't reset the controller the Cool and Heat agents will play ping-pong pretty near indefinitely...

Cheers!

this is a fridge Const mode (so no PIDs involved) and my freezer is from 80' :D There is nothing really fancy inside so I do not think there is a defrost thing. Even if it would it is not a fridge problem but a controller, so the controller is not starting the fridge but it is waiting as there would be some delay factor (like deadtime or minCoolIdleTime) but there is nothing that I know of.

Do you see that blue bar on the bottom that starts just before 2200?
That's your controller CALLING FOR COLD.

It's not a controller problem at all. It's your fridge...

Cheers!

Yes that light blue bar is indicating "waiting to cool" and where it starts it should start cooling (turn on the fridge) as there is a 10.5C point (one degree above set temperature) and normally it starts the fridge at that point but here it is not starting the fride, it is waiting because of something I do not know. There is no signal to relay at this point to start the fridge, so it is completely not fridge fault as it could be just starter but there is no signal output from ESP. It starts cooling where you see a change of the bar color.

Well then, this suddenly got interesting. I've never seen that extended "waiting to cool" behavior - when I see that state in the plots it's always quite short and definitely doesn't run near long enough to let the target temperature get that far out of whack.

I can't fathom what would cause that, but my experience is limited to the original BrewPi legacy system, not any of the emulators...

Cheers!

Hey Guys!
Just stumble upon this beauty while searching how to calibrate my iSpindle. Turns out I do have the hardware ready and said, why not?

Well, I did all procedure and it's up and running on my NODEMCU board. But I do also have these:
IMG_1513.JPG
IMG_1556.JPG

I've tried to flash it with the firmware and it went ok, the LED bliks but I can't see brewpiless wifi.

(with the NODEMCU it worked like a charm)

I wonder if I can make this work, since I have a few of them. I can make my CraftbeerPi a brew only solution.

Attachments

• IMG_7864.JPG
    IMG_7864.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
this is a fridge Const mode (so no PIDs involved) and my freezer is from 80' :D There is nothing really fancy inside so I do not think there is a defrost thing. Even if it would it is not a fridge problem but a controller, so the controller is not starting the fridge but it is waiting as there would be some delay factor (like deadtime or minCoolIdleTime) but there is nothing that I know of.

First of all, the minCoolIdleTime is not referenced in fridgeConst mode. It's another constant, defined as 600.

Regarding your issue, I guess your system was RESET, when deadTime is also referenced. The chart library misses some annotations, and RESET happens when the power supply is not stable/good enough. Sometimes people get BAD esp8266.

Well, sometimes it might be software issue. You know what? Arduino is suppose to be more solid because we have full access to the source code and it does less jobs. My TWO Arduino BrewPi setups both hanged at first use. I then hacked the code to add a watchdog timer. I thought it's my bad wiring or something because it seems everybody is happy. (My second Arduino is a mini with old boot code, that's another story.) After applying the watchdog timer, I was so happy until they are replaced by ESP8266.

Shits happen. The best strategy is to be prepared and live with it. If the deadTime is short, you might not notice it. That is my point.

Shouldn't there be a "R" - resume annotation on the graph when reset occurs? I was also thinking about that so I was monitoring the voltage and it is stable. It is a cheap ESP board so it can be this as well, i have ordered some better ones and will replace this one just to be safe.

Well, went through Wemos then. Had a burnt wemos (while my iSpindels build up) exchanged the 3.3V regulator to another one I had and boom. All set.

I'm having issues on connecting to my Wifi. Had them all working on it. I can see it, but it does not connect. When i changed to the neighbor wifi, it worked (we share internet access). When I get it back to my wifi it does not work. The router sees it but it is not accessible.

Re-flashed it. Erasewifisettings, SSFIDS, all.... Anything else to do???

EDIT: Damit... It's connected.... :rock::rock:
Wonder what's the issue...

Last edited:
No. What is the point for multiple iSpindels?

I built a few iSpindels and had extra d1's laying around - this is for a buddy that has 2 BrewTech FTSS', so I was hoping to run brewpiless on a d1 with an OLED & 2 ispindels a(modify the display to just print their gravity/temp)

Last edited:
but what is the point of having 2 ispindels? You will calculate a gravity mean out of 2 to have more precise values or what?

but what is the point if you can control only one fridge based on one reading with one brewpiless control module? For another you can just check the values directly on ispindel or have 2 brewpiless and 2 fridges.

but what is the point if you can control only one fridge based on one reading with one brewpiless control module? For another you can just check the values directly on ispindel
I'm not controlling the fridge with brewpiless - its sole purpose would be to log data from 2 (or more) ispindels. Like i said, I have a bunch of d1's laying around.. the logging + AP on brewpiless seems like it'd be perfect

I do not get you, iSpindel is standalone, there is no need of anything else if you just want to monitor your beer. Integration to brewpiless is only for controlling a fridge based on the gravity readings so why you want to complicate things and use brewpiless to monitor/log ispindel only? It is like ordering with shipping from the shop on next to you.

I do not get you, iSpindel is standalone, there is no need of anything else if you just want to monitor your beer. Integration to brewpiless is only for controlling a fridge based on the gravity readings so why you want to complicate things and use brewpiless to monitor/log ispindel only? It is like ordering with shipping from the shop on next to you.
You don't need to get why I want to do it, I was just asking if it was possible. End

Back