Brewing with unfiltered tap water advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not use a good pinch of Meta Sulphite (Campden)?
It eliminates all Chlorine and Chloramines instantly. You don't have to wait, and takes away the uncertainty it didn't get evaporated overnight.
I currently use 1/2 a Campden tab every time for a 5-6 gallon batch. I was thinking if I can eliminate chlorine from the water by letting it sit, it may be better than adding a Campden to the water.

I currently use 1/2 a Campden tab every time for a 5-6 gallon batch. I was thinking if I can eliminate chlorine from the water by letting it sit, it may be better than adding a Campden to the water.
You'd only need 1/4 tablet per 5 gallons of water (1 tablet treats [EDIT] 20 liter or 5 gallons 20 gallons or 75 liters) but using almost double, as you do, won't do any harm.

I stir in a small, equivalent amount of Potassium Metabisulphite powder when I fill the bucket(s). It dissolves faster than a crushed tablet. I've never been able to taste it.

Can you be sure all chlorine would dissipate overnight, or even over 24 hours, from a (deep) bucket unless it gets stirred a few times?

Last edited:
You'd only need 1/4 tablet per 5 gallons of water (1 tablet treats 20 liter or 5 gallons of water)
That contradicts itself, did you mean 1 tab treats 20 gallons?

I recall reading somewhere it was half a tab for 5g but I'll switch to 1/4 based on your advice. Or, maybe because I use 9 or so gallons of water to make wort is why I use half a tab.

I recall reading somewhere it was half a tab for 5g but I'll switch to 1/4 based on your advice. Or, maybe because I use 9 or so gallons of water to make wort is why I use half a tab.

I have read 1 tablet treats 20 gals of water. Since my batch targeting 5.5 gals into the fermenter uses around 8 gallons of water, I use half a tablet. For years I just crushed up one tablet per batch, and never seemed to notice it. At some point I tossed half a bag of tablets because I read they can get ineffective with age and I am sure I purchased them 8+ year prior...so I am not too worried about "saving money" using less than half a tablet.

Back