Brewing my first wine kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devo9

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am an experienced brewer, but so far I've only brewed meads and ciders. I brought my first wine kit, a Festa brand Moscato, and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips to share before I get started.

This brew is for my wife who likes sweet wines, and Moscato is her favourite. I plan on starting it on Sunday and will be conditioning it when it is done.

I'm looking for any advice for being Moscato (oaking, ageing, or other advice) and maybe some tips on where wine brewing differs from cider and mead brewing.

I'm sure I 'd manageon my own, but I figured I'd try to capitalize on all of your knowledge to make this the best wine it can be.

Thank you

Patience...wine takes a LONG time.

Follow the kit instructions to the letter except for length of sitting. Give that 6 months minimum.

I don't have any experience with that kit, but I've done a lot of kits over the years.

One thing that is totally different is that the wine kits make good wine if the instructions are followed- that hasn't always been my experience with beer kits. And with wine kits, you really do get what you pay for. With a cheaper kit ($60), you get a wine similar in quality to "Two Buck Chuck", while a $175 kit can give you a wine like a $25 (or more!) bottle of wine.

You generally need a 6 gallon carboy for wine kits, although a few premium kits for special wines (like chocolate port) make 3 gallons and require a 3 gallon carboy. Otherwise, most of the equipment is the same and can be used interchangeably.

I would age it 6 months,
rack it every 3,
oak it for 3 (if you like oak).
Dont rush.
Be patient

I'm interested in this thread too, as an experienced brewer who would like to make his wife some wine.

My big question is: Is babying the yeast as important in winemaking?

I'm thinking of:
yeast type (are there different varieties for winemaking, or do you not worry about that?)
yeast quality (i.e. in homebrewing liquid yeast tends to outshine dry yeast, although this is debatable)
pitching rates
temperature control

Is any of that important, or do you just take the yeast package that comes with the kit, dump it in there, and let 'er go?

Most wine yeast strains are so similar that you won't notice much of a difference, but there are a few that have special qualities like 71B-1122 will metabolize more malic acid than others.

You pretty much can go with any neutral strain (Lalvin's EC-1118, Red Star's Premier Cuvee or Champagne yeast), and get good results.

The packages are about 6 grams, and will work from 1-6 gallons so pitching rate isn't so crucial. I do use yeast nutrient in most musts, but for kits that's not needed.

I have made maybe 3-4 wine kits and done 4 fruit wines. In my experience the kit wines CAN be done in as little as 8 weeks. I generally let them sit in tertiary for longer as I have the spare carboys. But generally they are all still done in 3-5 months total. You want to let it sit in bottles for a month or two minimum before you start drinking them.

Fruit wines do not usually use all of the clarifying agents, so they can take a year or more to fall completely clear. The rhubarb wine I make this year won't be opened until Memorial weekend next year (at the earliest). One thing with wine yeast is that it does not taste good! Most beer yeast does not change the taste much if its a tad cloudy. With wine I want it completely clear.

Wine seems to be more forgiving with yeast pitch and fermentation temps. In fact, you want the fermentation temps to be higher than my house is in the winter, thus I make wine in the warmer months here. Also I've only used the dry packets of wine yeast, haven't noticed a ton of differences between the different dry varieties I've tried (though my taste in wine is still developing for sure).

I don't have any experience with that kit, but I've done a lot of kits over the years.

One thing that is totally different is that the wine kits make good wine if the instructions are followed- that hasn't always been my experience with beer kits. And with wine kits, you really do get what you pay for. With a cheaper kit ($60), you get a wine similar in quality to "Two Buck Chuck", while a $175 kit can give you a wine like a $25 (or more!) bottle of wine.

You generally need a 6 gallon carboy for wine kits, although a few premium kits for special wines (like chocolate port) make 3 gallons and require a 3 gallon carboy. Otherwise, most of the equipment is the same and can be used interchangeably.

Done, done, and done.

I went with the expensive kit, I ONLY have 6 gallon carboys, and I plan on using all of the same equipment I've been using.

Thanks Yooper!

... I've only used the dry packets of wine yeast, haven't noticed a ton of differences between the different dry varieties I've tried (though my taste in wine is still developing for sure).

Is there such a thing as a liquid wine yeast? The only yeasts I am familiar with are dry. Who makes a liquid wine yeast?

Wow! Who knew! I see they even cite "attenuation" levels - Perhaps to give brewers who might use them in their wines a sense of familiarity. I dunno. I think I will stick to 71B and D47 and QA23.

pick up a cheap vacuum degassing unit.

Wines take forever, Remembering to check and top up that airlock is critical during those long months of clearing it. Do yourself a favour and put a vacuum stopper in there, most will hold vacuum indefinitely. No more topping up that airlock just give it a pump or two every so often.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I really appreciate the advice!

I started my first wine kit last week and I'm very concerned. The kit a the winexpert New Zealand Pinot noir. I'm hoping it taste like a store purchased wine and not grape flavored deer urine. Any help would be great or advice.

I'm following the directions to the T.

This!

pick up a cheap vacuum degassing unit.

probably the single best, efficient items to make wine, rack and bottle!!!!
Increased my productivity and saved time and helps make better wine,

I started my first wine kit last week and I'm very concerned. The kit a the winexpert New Zealand Pinot noir. I'm hoping it taste like a store purchased wine and not grape flavored deer urine. Any help would be great or advice.

I'm following the directions to the T.

I haven't done that kit but I did a Winexpert Chardonnay and can say it was one of the best Chardonnays that I have ever had, commercial or homemade.

My brother who is much more of a connoisseur than I am also said it was the best he ever had.

So, follow the directions and you will get a wine at least comparable to average wines of the same type at the liquor store.

Wine kits are really fairly easy to follow and produce pretty consistent results. The NZ Pinot Noir will turn out fine I'm sure.

Link?? Picture?

google wine saver. There about 20ish at any local home brew store (LHBS). They come with a pump and onw way valve/ stopper for a wine bottle but fit right inside the plastic hollowed out carboy stoppers. Most from LHBS have the extra carboy stopper included. Cheap, work great and you can pick up extra stopper valves as needed without buying the whole kit.

I usually start them out in the high 60's and then allow most of the ferment to be in the low to mid 70's.

What is the typical fermentation temp required for the wine kits?

The instructions say to stay between 68-72 or something like that.

I make kits in my basement year round. During the summer it can be as warm as 68.
In the winter it can be as cool as 55.

I have fermented around 62 with no issues.
I use a combination of layer heavy blankets, brew belts or aquarium heat patch.

Back