Starting Equipment for a Gallon of Wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexKay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After 300+ batches of beer, 3 ciders, and 4 mead-like things, I'm eyeing one-gallon wine kits. I have Little Big Mouth Bubblers aplenty ... can I use one for primary? For secondary too, or will there be too much headspace (~1.4 gallons for 1 gallon of wine)? I'm happy to buy new fermenters but don't know what the best ones are. And is there any other equipment I'm likely to want or need?

The Big Mouth bubbler would be great for Primary, if you have a gallon Apple Cider Jug that would be a better secondary to rack to. If not I hear you can go to the grocery store and buy a glass jug that comes with free apple juice/cider

For primary, I just use a 5 gallon bucket from tractor supply. Just make sure that you get one that is food grade plastic. I use a mesh brew bag with a cinch string to hold the fruit/flowers ect, then cover the whole thing with fine cheesecloth held in place by a rubber band. I only make a gallon at a time but this setup makes it very easy to remove the cheesecloth and stir twice a day, and then to remove the fruit when I am ready to transfer to secondary. The brew bag allows me to squeeze out as much juice as possible when I am done so I am getting the most flavor with least waste.

For secondary I do use the 1 gallon glass jars with the airlocks.

During the colder parts of the year when nighttime temps are getting cooler, I use a plant heating mat with a temperature probe wrapped around the 5 gallon bucket. I set the temperature just above the bottom range of the yeast tolerance. Once in secondary I don't heat it at all.

Back