Brewery names--what's your story?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going with Luparius Brewing Co.

Latin for Wolfhunter - guess what I do for a living...

I'm Alaskan Summers Brewery. Summers is my last name and well, I live in Alaska. I make Moose Bites Apple Cider and Bear Bait Apple Raspberry Cider. I also have an Etsy page where I sell Alaskan Summers lip balm and lotions.

Forgot to add...my other hobby is basket weaving, hence the user name Wovensummers.

Devils Horns

I name all of my beers one way or another after rock or metal bands. I've had this really cool concept that if I ever meet anyone rich who wants to partner up and open a brewery, our flights would be delivered on used fret boards. You'd have different levels like VIP (all higher ABV), The Moshpit (darker brews), The Roadie (full array of brews).... stuff like that.

Ideally, I'd love to have a business model similar to a local brewery around here that donates portions of their sales to veterans. Only I'd do it to music and art education.

Reviving an old thread...
I live on the northeastern plains of Colorado and it seems like the wind never stops blowing.
Windblown Brewery seems fitting to me.
Windblown brewery2.png

Ales from the Crypt brewing- just like the play on words.
Cheers!
...and now I call it "Whole Nother Level" brewing. Changed for 2 reasons: I can lager now, and also wanted something a bit more original. The wife likes it much more too, lol.

For 3 years this male house finch who was missing his right claw and part of his right leg frequented the feeders in my back yard. I really need to get somebody who is creative to modify the image so that his is perched on stalks of barley with hop cones in his mouth.

grogtag_coaster.jpg

So my intent is to name my efforts Tongues Out Brewing Co. So far it's not claimed as far as I could tell. My 12 year old boxer has a tooth that sticks out to the right, and his tongue can usually be found hanging out the side. Not sure what happened or if he was born that way, but when we adopted him 3 years ago that was the first thing that caught our eye. Working on a logo, but he has a tendency to not sit still long enough for a picture.

So my intent is to name my efforts Tongues Out Brewing Co. So far it's not claimed as far as I could tell. My 12 year old boxer has a tooth that sticks out to the right, and his tongue can usually be found hanging out the side. Not sure what happened or if he was born that way, but when we adopted him 3 years ago that was the first thing that caught our eye. Working on a logo, but he has a tendency to not sit still long enough for a picture.

That's a cool name . Love boxers , such good dogs and your right , they dont sit still.

Mine is called Tuning Head Brewing.
I'm having a logo worked on for stickers and bottle labels. Its basically a guitar head and hops as the tuners.

Little River Brewery

Little River has always been a special place to me. Growing up I would spend time in the canyon exploring and climbing. Now that I'm semi-retired and have moved back to my home town I spend time there fly fishing and whitewater canoeing.

A young lady in my church does calligraphy, so I asked her to do a logo that would capture the "fun" aspect of the brewery. I think she nailed it. I had a rubber stamp made that I use to mark my gear, bottle carriers, etc.

Little River Brewery 4.jpg

IMGP0084.JPG IMGP0035.JPG

I'm still square as a pool table and twice as green when it comes to brewing.

I still label my beers with a sharpie on the bottle caps, so nowhere near a "brewery" but my autistic son helps me boil and bottle and we decided we're going with Black Cat Bone Brewing.

I'm a hardcore blues fan and there's many references to black cat's bones in songs. I'm sure a reference to Voodoo or Juju, as I like to call it.

Ghost Finger Brewing (no logo as of yet)

My Dad introduced me to brewing in '92 on the stove top. He passed in 2005 and I inherited his home. In 1984 he lost all of the fingers on his right hand. His comp from work was just enough to build the garage that became my brewery. After he passed I saw his initials and the year in the cement of the garage (brewery) he built and I was inspired. I have since moved and my daughter lives there now. If I could just get her to start brewing...

Started when I was trying to think of a good name for a blonde ale. Pin up blonde sounded good. From there, I came up with the label. I change out the center picture and the beer name for each label. Without getting too risque with the pictures. Print and put it on my kegerator tap handle.

I saw a brewery in the UK using this name after I designed this. But their labels are not as cool as mine.

upload_2018-12-13_16-27-52.jpeg

Out There Brewery

I've been calling my basement brewery this since 2013. It's for my interest in UFO's and the paranormal.

Wild Pig Brewing: "Go ahead, hog all the beer!"

My college mascot was a razorback, so a "wild pig".

Storytyme Brewing

My actual last name is Story and Storytyme has been a nickname my whole life.

"There's a Story behind every beer"

Bananadick Brewing

In the 90's, I was eating breakfast one Saturday morning and my roommate had the Discovery Channel on the TV instead of cartoons. They were talking about Zebras and showing how well endowed the males were, even when compared to horses. After winning a fight with the old leader of the herd, the young, new alpha male zebra will use his endowment on pregnant mares causing them to miscarry and go into estrus, i.e. heat. This caused the next generation of Zebras to have the superior DNA of the new boss rather than the loser DNA of the old boss. Besides losing my appetite for the fruit I was eating, I was amazed at the similarity between humans and zebras, at least at the rougher bars in town. I was also amazed that the Discovery Channel had no chill about airing a male Zebra sporting a full chub during the cartoon hour. We nicknamed him Banana Dick.

Around the same period, we had been heavily bombarded with Reebok's "Life's Short, Play Hard" commercials, extreme tees from No Fear, and Terry Tate office linebacker spots on MTV and ESPN: . Being inactive slackers, we parodied them with, "Life's Short, Why Bother" ending it with the fictitious brand, Banana Dick. Never got around to marketing extreme tees for slackers until it was too late. By too late, I mean the web address we wanted to use became taken for exactly what you would think would be using that url. That is why we cannot have nice things.

I may have missed an opportunity. I may have missed my calling. I am not giving up that name. 30 years later I bought a beer brewing kit and found a use for the name.

And no, I do not ferment everything at 72* with Hef yeast to get the flavor of my brewery's namesake.

Hardscrabble Brewery

There is an old road where I grew up named Hardscrabble road. There was a one room School that I loved to go to with my older brothers and sisters. I named my Brewery after that road back in 2000. I even have the original road sign.

I don't know if I commented before on this thread.
Up till recently, my home brewery is J-Squared Brewing, after my and my wife's initials.
However, I recently found out that a small tributary to a stream running across the street is called Hop Brook. So I've taken to calling my last couple brews Hop Brook Brewing.
It's one of my several project names - all under one "parent company" - Surreal Enterprises. Home to the Bawstin Bah-B-Cue Project (when I get out the smoker) and 1023Mb Studios (cause I never get a gig.)(any of my music stuff)

I got my dog, Duncan, about the same time I started brewing. One day in the basement he was sitting next to the carboy sniffing the airlock. It was the perfect picture, of course I didn’t have a camera handy, but I was easily able to recreate the moment.

So... DuncanWood Brewery was born.

Attachments

• 3E17B82F-B960-4696-B711-06FBA4B57A51.jpeg
    3E17B82F-B960-4696-B711-06FBA4B57A51.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 55
We have had multiple dogs and cats over the years which I collectively and affectionately refer to as my obnoxious beasts. So when coming up with a name, I chose that. The logo was loosely based on the way they stamped R.E.D. (Retired, Extremely Dangerous) on the employee files of the main characters in the movie RED.

All my early beers were named either after a current or previous pet or other animals in nature. I have a tuxedo cat, so I named my RIS Siberian Tux (the name was a twist on my original idea suggested by a HBTer). I have a cat that meows with a gutteral finish that reminded me of a german accent, so I named a beer Frau Meow. I had a Cairn Terrier that would always be sniffing around outside which I called schnorfling because of the sound. So I named a beer Wire-haired Schnorfler.

Oak Island Brewery started brewing in 1983 long before those UP brothers started their treasure hunt on that island that shares the same name. I guess the other common thread with them is I’m originally from the UP too. The name was inspired from the then mystery of the island and it's connection with pirates.

I had a couple names but I guess I have more time I need to come up with something original...Ill get there

Back