Breweries to visit in NY state?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sd38-2

Reaction score
My wife and I are taking a trip in September to New York. We will be visiting friends near Poughkeepsie for a few days before driving across the state to Niagara Falls Canada. We plan on visiting capt lawrence brewing. What others in the Poughkeepsie area or along our way to Canada are good to visit?

Southern Tier. Jamestown, NY I believe.

I traveled all the way from Florida just to spend 2 days there.

Also, Resurgence in the buffalo area was good.

Looks like you'll be starting out near Ommegang as well.

Have fun !!

In the Poughkeepsie area check out Sloop in Elizaville, NY. On the trip to the falls Ithaca Brewing is worth a stop as well as Roc Brewing in Rochester. If you go up near Albany Ommegang is great (as was mentioned). Most of the other breweries in the finger lakes region I found to be pretty 'meh'.

Hi all,
Are there any reputable low cost beer supplies websites on the east coast, preferably new york? Midwest/northern etc are great but the shipping costs are prohibitive on small orders for me (buying say, one brew kit). Cheers!

Equilibrium in Middletown is great. Sand city is somewhere out near the finger lakes and they're also very good. If you end up a little north of Albany common roots in south glens falls is worth going to

Farmhouse brewery in Owego is pretty cool.

And the Ithaca beer company

Definitely Ommegang.

If you're heading down to the city at all, there's a ton of awesome small breweries. In no particular order: LIC Beer Project, Singlecut, Rockaway, KCBC, Big Alice, Transmitter, Other Half, Threes, Interboro...

As far as western NY,
Woodcock brothers in Wilson NY, NY beerproject in lockport, 42 north in east aurora... Theres a tiny nanobrewery on Rt 20A in stryersville by my camp called windy brews thats got some decent beers as well... Big ditch brewing have some great beers and if you like the underdogs buffalo brewing is small but has some great beer too.. There are many others... Community beer works, Rusty nickel... it really depends on what your after the most? The beer or atmosphere? Because some have one and not necessarily as much as the other..

My brewing partner hope to have our hole the wall open next spring ourselves... We are still buying equipment and knocking down walls at the moment..

Not sure what qualifies as "close to Poughkeepsie" but Suarez Family Brewery is one I follow that has been started by some offshoot of Hill Farmstead. Looks like it's north of Poughkeepsie by about 45 minutes so If you are up further than that it looks to be worth a visit.

Get up the river to Suarez family brewery (best in the area) and I second the recommend of Peekskill. If you like sours, Plan Bee is a cool one to visit and is right in PK.

Rooster fish in Watkins glen, and climbing bines in penn yan are great little places to stop and take in the finger lakes region....and plenty wineries along the routes too

If you go to Niagra on the lake around 30 minute drive from the falls theres a coupleof breweries called Silversmith and Oust. Oust is farmhouse style ales and silversmith has a mix, also plenty of wineries, also worth a visit is the Wayne Gretsky distillery.

If you go to Niagra on the lake around 30 minute drive from the falls theres a coupleof breweries called Silversmith and Oust. Oust is farmhouse style ales and silversmith has a mix, also plenty of wineries, also worth a visit is the Wayne Gretsky distillery.
Hmm ill have to check these out next time Im up in Canada.. Thanks for the tip.. Ive been to many wineries in canada but only found one brewery that wasnt a chain.

Old thread but since there was mention of Niagara Falls, Canada breweries I suggest Exchange, Oast, and Niagara College

Latest posts

Back