Florida breweries and such to visit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FloppyKnockers

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm taking a road trip to see some friends pretty soon in Florida. Lakeland, to be specific, and wanted to know if there are any must visit breweries, taprooms, cigar lounges, etc. in the area that yall would recommend. We may even make it to Tampa and/or Orlando if time and people permit.

Cigar City is in Tampa, I haven't been but if I get back there I'm certainly going to try and visit.

Their Jai Alai and Maduro are beers I pretty much always get when I see them, either in MN or when I've been to Florida (once every couple years or so).

Beers are delicious, never seen the tap room though. But it's one I'll suggest to look into.

There are a bunch of micros in and around Dunedin, which is WNW of Tampa, just N of Clearwater. There's a distillery too, pubs, wine bars, etc.

Last edited:
How close are you to Santa Rosa? Close enough, Idyle Hounds is a good one. I've never had the Jai Alai from Cigar City, but a friend of mine raves about it. I'm dying to try it personally.

Hey all,
I'm taking a road trip to see some friends pretty soon in Florida. Lakeland, to be specific, and wanted to know if there are any must visit breweries, taprooms, cigar lounges, etc. in the area that yall would recommend. We may even make it to Tampa and/or Orlando if time and people permit.
Tampa, and especially St. Petersburg have very robust beer scenes. Cigar City in Ibor City area of Tampa should be on everybody’s list. The vibe is Little Havana (Miami), and is where a lot of Cuban tobacconists fled from the early Castro years. Great beer at Cigar City as well as artisan cigar roller shops.

Our daughter lives on the west side of the bay in St. Pete, so that’s where we spend the most time. My favorite is Green Bench Brewing on 16th Street near the Rays’ baseball stadium. I’m also a fan of 3 Daughters Brewing. It’s hard to throw an empty can in any direction without hitting a brewery in St. Pete.

Lots of regional and micros from Bradenton north to the Bay. It’s like wineries are to Napa/Sonoma, except beer! It’s well worth the hour or so drive from Lakeland. If we ever decide to leave Maryland, it’ll be to move to St. Pete.

There is a beer trail here that's pretty terrific (includes distilleries too, just to make sure you remember nothing the next day). Might want to take the Jolly Trolly (it's a thing) which whips past a lot of the places you'll want to drink.

If you end up over here (west FL), welcome to the gulp coast. I truly hope you enjoy your visit. Florida gets a bad rap on some of the mainstream media, but it's a very friendly place with a lot to see.

https://www.visitstpeteclearwater.com/gulp-coast-craft-beer-trail

For cigars, Ybor in Tampa is the place to go. Indoor cigar smoking in FL is not common, but nut Ybor has a few places with fancy HVAC to allow it.

Cigar City is a Tampa staple, but all of their beers are a bit sweet for my palate. I used to drink their Maduro brown frequently.

IMO Tampa has a lot more going for it than Orlando. Gainesville has a good beer scene, but it's a bit farther afield from Lakeland.

Thank you all for your replies. I knew I came to the right place.

Okay, obviously I have to go to Cigar City. That'll be at the top of my list. Ybor sounds like exactly what I'm looking for when it comes to cigars.

Santa Rosa is a little out of our way this time, but it'll be on the list for subsequent visits.

Gainsville is on our list of places to stop. Specifically for the sinkhole tuned rain forest. Looks like I'm gonna have to check out some beer to-go breweries too.

The Jolly Trolly sounds too good to be true. I'm gonna have to check that one out. How do you do liver stretches in preparation for something like that?

Thanks for the Gulp Coast link - very informative!

Gainsville is on our list of places to stop. Specifically for the sinkhole tuned rain forest. Looks like I'm gonna have to check out some beer to-go breweries too.
First Magnitude is my go-to brewery in Gainesville. Good beer, good selection. They have food trucks cycle through; you can check the schedule on their website. It's kid friendly.

Swamp Head is the other relatively large brewery (they're both in Publix, but not sure on distribution range, bbl/yr etc). They have some good stouts, but it was always a bit crowded for me. They might have a kitchen? Not sure.

If anyone in the party is vegan, there are a lot of options. The Top has vegan stuff and has a much better beer menu then it did when I was in school. That's where I had an Ayinger draught a couple months ago. I hear they fill up, though. Not sure if they take reservations.

Satchel's Pizza is a popular destination. The venue is a bit excentric. The pizza is pretty unique, like a hearty NY slice with a bit of oregano and red pepper in the sauce. They have good calzones, too.

The Jolly Trolly sounds too good to be true. I'm gonna have to check that one out. How do you do liver stretches in preparation for something like that?
Theres a Marriot on one end of the trolley, if you want a no-driving trip to Ybor. I've done that for weddings/bachelor parties/etc a few times and it was good.

First Magnitude is my go-to brewery in Gainesville. Good beer, good selection. They have food trucks cycle through; you can check the schedule on their website. It's kid friendly.

Swamp Head is the other relatively large brewery (they're both in Publix, but not sure on distribution range, bbl/yr etc). They have some good stouts, but it was always a bit crowded for me. They might have a kitchen? Not sure.

If anyone in the party is vegan, there are a lot of options. The Top has vegan stuff and has a much better beer menu then it did when I was in school. That's where I had an Ayinger draught a couple months ago. I hear they fill up, though. Not sure if they take reservations.

Satchel's Pizza is a popular destination. The venue is a bit excentric. The pizza is pretty unique, like a hearty NY slice with a bit of oregano and red pepper in the sauce. They have good calzones, too.

Theres a Marriot on one end of the trolley, if you want a no-driving trip to Ybor. I've done that for weddings/bachelor parties/etc a few times and it was good.
I’ll double-recommend the Marriott in Ybor. And also nearby is arguably one of the best, if not the best steak house in the United States, a place called Bern’s. Pricey, and a bit on the fancy side, but worth every penny.

Trust me on this. I grew up in Kansas City eating at some of the top steak houses. A few years ago my wife and I took a two month coast to coast road trip trying to stop at the most renown steak houses in the country, from Peter Lugers and Sparks in New York, to Chop House in Chicago, to Big Texas in Amarillo, to Del Frisco’s (a chain, but far superior to any Ruth’s Chris) in L.A., with many more in K.C. and Denver in between. I’m guessing close to 20 top rated steak houses in a two month period.

We’ve been to Bern’s twice, and it’s second to none.

(Sorry for hijacking the thread, but if you’re going to Cigar City and visiting the artisan cigar vendors, you might as well go all in with a dinner at Bern’s. You won’t regret the dent it puts in your wallet).

I’ll double-recommend the Marriott in Ybor. And also nearby is arguably one of the best, if not the best steak house in the United States, a place called Bern’s. Pricey, and a bit on the fancy side, but worth every penny.

Trust me on this. I grew up in Kansas City eating at some of the top steak houses. A few years ago my wife and I took a two month coast to coast road trip trying to stop at the most renown steak houses in the country, from Peter Lugers and Sparks in New York, to Chop House in Chicago, to Big Texas in Amarillo, to Del Frisco’s (a chain, but far superior to any Ruth’s Chris) in L.A., with many more in K.C. and Denver in between. I’m guessing close to 20 top rated steak houses in a two month period.

We’ve been to Bern’s twice, and it’s second to none.

(Sorry for hijacking the thread, but if you’re going to Cigar City and visiting the artisan cigar vendors, you might as well go all in with a dinner at Bern’s. You won’t regret the dent it puts in your wallet).
Had dinner at Berns over the holidays (as a local, I've been there lots). Note that there is a 2-month waiting list right now. Certainly can't walk it and get seated. Anyone eating there, make sure to book the dessert room, it's a hoot. Also, take the tour of the wine cellar.

Had dinner at Berns over the holidays (as a local, I've been there lots). Note that there is a 2-month waiting list right now. Certainly can't walk it and get seated. Anyone eating there, make sure to book the dessert room, it's a hoot. Also, take the tour of the wine cellar.
Oh yes, the semi-private dessert portals. And, the wine ‘cellar’ tour. I was unaware that it actually was a cellar. I thought the water table was too high in that part of town so close to the bay.

Even though we live 900 miles away, we’ve been to Bern’s twice and thoroughly enjoyed both experiences. Marvelous restaurant that goes out of the way with top-notch service that makes the most plebeian guest (me) feel like royalty.

There are a few meaderies between Lakeland and Tampa if you had any interest in those. Visiting Florida is also a good opportunity to pick up some local orange blossom honey.

Just wanted to follow-up and give a thanks again to all the suggestions.

Got back from Florida a few days ago and had a great time. Went to a couple local breweries in Lakeland - Swan and The Joinery. The latter was impressive. Not only were the beers good, but it's a big 'ol warehouse where they also lease space to food vendors. It was pretty amazing.

In the Tampa area, we spent an afternoon in Ybor City. That was quite the experience. Great cigar shops, best mojito I've had in a long time, and we even went to Cuba. Well... not really, but technically, yes. Parque Amigos de Jose Marti is a tiny park owned by the Republic of Cuba. So yeah... totally went to Cuba. Afterwards we went to John's Pass in Madeira beach. A cool little boardwalk with lots of booze and food. The sunset was amazing.

Of course I had to hit up Busch Gardens too. I love roller coasters and they have some amazing ones! Did not know, but the zoo portion of Busch Gardens is integrated into the rest of the park, so you get to see some cool animals when hopping from ride to ride.

Although we did not get to do everything on the list, we do plan to make this an annual or biennial trip, so I'll definitely get to see and do more next time(s).

Got back from Florida a few days ago and had a great time. Went to a couple local breweries in Lakeland - Swan and The Joinery. The latter was impressive. Not only were the beers good, but it's a big 'ol warehouse where they also lease space to food vendors. It was pretty amazing.

In the Tampa area, we spent an afternoon in Ybor City. That was quite the experience. Great cigar shops, best mojito I've had in a long time, and we even went to Cuba. Well... not really, but technically, yes. Parque Amigos de Jose Marti is a tiny park owned by the Republic of Cuba. So yeah... totally went to Cuba. Afterwards we went to John's Pass in Madeira beach. A cool little boardwalk with lots of booze and food. The sunset was amazing.

Of course I had to hit up Busch Gardens too. I love roller coasters and they have some amazing ones! Did not know, but the zoo portion of Busch Gardens is integrated into the rest of the park, so you get to see some cool animals when hopping from ride to ride.

Although we did not get to do everything on the list, we do plan to make this an annual or biennial trip, so I'll definitely get to see and do more next time(s).
Great to hear that you had a good time. The west coast of Florida is by far my favorite, just barely ahead of the Keys and the sentimental Cradle of Naval Aviation in Pensacola. We're heading down to St. Pete in a little over a week for a quick visit to see our grandkids and the condo my daughter and SIL are building in Madeira Beach. We're familiar with John's Pass and the Boardwalk and the cool miniature golf course on the main drag with all the live 'gators. Gonna' have to return to Ybor and 'actually' visit Cuba again as well. My humidor is in need of resupply. I'm ready to get back on the road again.

next time make your way over here to the coast. Dunedin, Safety Harbor, St Pete. So much to see.

and yes, busch gardens started out as an animal park, mostly birds.

Thanks for visiting FL. It's a great place and we love our visitors.

Interesting thread/read, I just got to the Sunshine state on Wednesday, on Merritt Island to be exact. Stopped at a place, Rock & Brews, not really a brewpub but certainly a nice stop for a bite and a couple local brews. Fantastic decor being a classic rock guy.

I'm here on family business so not much time yet to explore the local brews but I checked online a couple places to try.

Spending time with mom comes first, second and third. Plus I'm down here twice a year so there's lots of brew pub opportunities.

next time make your way over here to the coast. Dunedin, Safety Harbor, St Pete. So much to see.

and yes, busch gardens started out as an animal park, mostly birds.

Thanks for visiting FL. It's a great place and we love our visitors.

Thanks. :) We like coming but probably won't make it this year.

Over the years we've stayed on Anna Maria, Gasparilla/Boca Grande, in Clearwater, Dunedin, Ft Myers, and Clermont (yeah, sorta an outlier from the rest but relatives were there) Looked at Safety Harbor but not done that (yet).

Thanks. :) We like coming but probably won't make it this year.

Over the years we've stayed on Anna Maria, Gasparilla/Boca Grande, in Clearwater, Dunedin, Ft Myers, and Clermont (yeah, sorta an outlier from the rest but relatives were there) Looked at Safety Harbor but not done that (yet).
Clearwater, Dunedin, and Safety Harbor are all in the same county, just a few miles apart.

Sarasota is a very nice town. I highly recommend taking the tour of the circus museum, which is SO much more than circus. Make sure to check out the Ca' d'Zan (house of john ringling). Maybe your son will get engaged there. Mine did!

1708133279175.png

Indeed, several of those places are close, but we've stayed at them all except Safety Harbor.

When we were staying on Anna Maria, several years running, we did a lot of the stuff around Sarasota and along Tamiami Trail. Drive the keys, St Armands, all sorts of stuff. Ford & Edison around Ft Myers, etc.

Boca Grande I think is in the future again but it may not be quite the same. Places we used to go were still flat ground last year when we took a side trip through on our way from Ft Myers to Dunedin. Liked Dunedin too. Stayed right downtown, was good.

Usually take in a day at the bay area Ren fest. Was nice when it was sorta on the North side of Tampa but now over by Dade City it gets to be a bit of a trip.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back