Brew pot larger than burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b13bs

Reaction score
I am upgrading my equipment from extract to 5 gal all-grain. I will use a propane burner but I wonder if a specific kettle is too big for it.

My propane burner is Martin R65 and is 16" diameter. The kettle that I'm looking to buy has a outer diameter of 17.7".

So, my kettle would be larger than my burner. Is there any problem with that? Performance, risk of mess?

If there are any, I could buy a bigger kettle since its diameter would be smaller. Thanks!

I think your kettle could be quite a bit larger and still not be a problem. The heat is transferred by hot gasses produced by the flame, not by contact with the flame itself. A lot of those gases are going to escape around the sides of the kettle and be wasted anyway. They will, however, overheat and damage valves, thermometers, or anything else on the outside of the kettle.

Before I went electric, I used a single-jet burner about 2 inches in diameter, with a 17 inch kettle. The only problem was, that single jet sounded like an F16 at full afterburner.

Never heard of this burner, apparently is a Canadian market thing, carried by Home Depot.ca and others.
The stand is 16" square, quite rugged looking, while the burner appears to be around 6" in diameter and is rated at 65K btus.
p_1000751079.jpg

As shown it comes with a regulator with a green ACME nut which I believe means it runs 0-10 psi.
From the looks of the stand one could run at least a 20 gallon kettle on it without issue, and the burner should be good for 10 gallon batches...

Cheers!

Exactly, it is a canadian thing, in my case from Quebec. I see this burner frequently recommended here for 5 gal batches.

Thanks for the input!

It's rated only slightly below the 75Kbtu for a 10" bg14 on 0-10 psi.
And that burner is used for more than 10 gallon batches.
Yours should work just fine - the stand itself is clearly up to it :)

You'll likely want to dry fire it until the paint stops fuming...

Cheers!

I have that burner from Home Depot with a 16” wide kettle I do 10 gallon batch’s on it without any issues

Is your spaghetti pot or any other pot you cook with the exact same size as the burner on your stove??
No....then your fine.
Heat is heat,water is water, and wort is wort, its all the same

Also skip a pot with a thermometer or valve. The thermometer is a total waste and not needed ever.Any handheld thermometer you trust will work fine.
You can add a valve at any time for cheap. Start with a $15 auto siphon.
This will eliminate any issue of heat ruining something around the pot. At this point youll have a pot on a heat source like any other cooking you've ever done in your life

Last edited:
Back