Brew Magazines, which one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maztec

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi!

I am trying to figure out which brew magazine to get a subscription to. I haven't had a chance to look at many, but I am sure there must be a good one out there somewhere. However, I did see a few at my local home brew shop and flipped through them and was ... disappointed.

So, what home brew magazine would you recommend? For what type of home brewer is it best? And why would you recommend it?

Thanks!

- M

BYO is what I have and I really enjoy reading it. It's not all brewing science, but it's got a lot of it usually, and I really like that aspect of brewing.

None of them are very useful when compared to this forum. Seriously.

But if you want a mag, the two listed above, plus All About BEER are great. The last one is not so much homebrew as commercial craftbrew, but I think it is still a good read.

I get Zymurgy, and enjoy it, but I think I fly through an issue in about 1 hour. Only reason I get it at all is I contributed to the AHA cause and the mag was a perk.

yeah I get them both. They're both fun, but more for flipping through on the couch any time you want. Nothing real heavy duty in there. If I want real info and answers, I come here.

i subscribe to byo. i enjoy looking through it.
i don't subscribe to zymurgy, although i occasionally buy an issue when i'm at the local brew shop.
i likr them both and do keep the magazines around, at least for a little while, just for the brew recipes. :mug:

BYO has lots of ads and only a few pages of real content. If you look around the classifieds section people often have 1/2 price deals. If you can get a year subscription for $14 I think it is worth it.

I've had subscriptions to both Zymurgy and BYO. Many times, the mags take hotbutton issues on internet forums and publish their spins on those issues. I find that boring, since I've usually already visited those topics. I do like the detailed technical articles that occasionally make it to print.

Seems to me that it's hard for them to find enough content to publish on a regular schedule. Both Zymurgy and BYO are so so. Maybe if they'd publish quarterly there'd be more useful stuff. I wasn't getting much out of BYO so let the subscription lapse, only renewing Zymurgy.

If only Brewing Techniques was still around. That magazine was head and shoulders above the other two.

I get byo and zymurgy although I like them both they do revisit the same topics often.

Back