Brew Day Question! Do I have enough cells?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrEggSandwich

Reaction score
Would up with 12 gallons of 1.044-1.046 delicious looking wort today. My efficiency is getting better!

I have 1.5L starter on stir plate of Omega Double IPA (Conan) that's been going since Wednesday.

Batch is in 2 different fer mentors (6.5 & 5.0).

Do I just take my chances and split the starter? Do I have enough yeast? I have a package of Safae 05 that I can use in one.

What do I do here? My Malty says I need 372 billion cells. Omega starts with 150 B in each pack.

Would up with 12 gallons of 1.044-1.046 delicious looking wort today. My efficiency is getting better!

I have 1.5L starter on stir plate of Omega Double IPA (Conan) that's been going since Wednesday.

Batch is in 2 different fer mentors (6.5 & 5.0).

Do I just take my chances and split the starter? Do I have enough yeast? I have a package of Safae 05 that I can use in one.

What do I do here? My Malty says I need 372 billion cells. Omega starts with 150 B in each pack.

Two thoughts on this:
1. Mr. Malty is a pessimist. He seems to think you need an awful lot of yeast to ferment your beer. White labs and Wyeast both seem to think you can pitch a single pack to 5 gallons of wort and make good beer.
2. Unless you were able to exclude all oxygen from your wort your yeast will multiply in there. Aerate well and a single pack will multiply so well that it can ferment a 5 gallon batch of much higher OG than you have.

White labs and Wyeast both seem to think you can pitch a single pack to 5 gallons of wort and make good beer.

I've tried this with the Fermentis/Safale dry yeasts. It works.
They seem to have a generous supply of cells in that one 11.5gram packet, but then again, I do starters in mostly light beers with SG of 1.050 or lower.

Back