Do I have enough yeast to pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

boondocksaint

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’m brewing a strawberry shortcake blonde ale tomorrow. Putting 12 Gal in fermenter to get get 10 finished at 5.4% ABV.

I have two packs of Wyeast 1056 and used one of them to make a 2L starter yesterday evening. I don’t have enough time to step up the starter as planned and then chill/decant it before I need to pitch.

So, between the starter and the extra pack of 1056 by my estimation I have essentially 3 packs (~300 billion cells) of the 1056.

I also have one pack of WL-001 (California Ale) yeast in the fridge.

Do y’all think I have enough yeast with just the one pack of 1056 and the starter? Or, should I include the WLP-001 too?

Thanks y’all! Cheers!

HM-2

Brewing by the seat of my pants
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
To be honest I reckon that a 2L starter from two packs of 1056 is probably enough...

OP
OP
boondocksaint

boondocksaint

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
To be honest I reckon that a 2L starter from two packs of 1056 is probably enough...
I actually made the starter with just one pack of the 1056.

I let the starter go on the stir plate for about 36 hours then put it in the fridge to chill. After about 5 hours in the fridge I was able decant off most of the liquid. I ended up pitching the starter and the second pack of 1056 at about 3:00. I checked in on things before bed at 10:30 and had activity, so think it should be GTG.