Brettanomyces Rye Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfrank85

Reaction score
Has anyone ever experimented with using Brett in a stout? I recently had a Kal-Haven ale from Bells Eccentric Cafe this weekend and i loved it and thought why not try to blend the earthiness of rye and brett with the roastiness of a stout. I would like to maybe try a small batch as an experiment at first.

Would you think a all Brett would be really horsey sour with the starches from the rye and dark malts? Idk cause I'm just starting to play around with brett but I ferment down a little with a clean strain..

jfrank85 said:
That's my next question, how do you ferment with brett?

The same way as normal sacc yeast but with separate equipment if it's plastic or rubber.. Brett can chew through everything and has a pronounced flavor like barnyard or horse blanket ect..
Edit: I guess it's up to you to determine how much of a Brett profile you want.. I'm still learning..

How does this look? I decided to go with the B. Lambicus. Now do i want cherry pie from WY or earthy funk from WLP? Decisions, decisions...

Bottling Volume: 3.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.062 SG
Estimated Color: 35.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 40.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 85.5 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
7 lbs Golden Promise (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 71.8 %
1 lbs Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.3 %
12.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.7 %
10.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 4 6.4 %
6.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.8 %
.75 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 40.4 IBUs
1.0 pkg Brettanomyces Lambucus (Wyeast Labs #552 Yeast 7 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 9 lbs 12.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 16.00 qt of water at 165.3 F 156.0 F 45 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (0.04gal, 2.87gal) of 168.0 F

Ferment for 4 months mid 60's, bottle and age.

Brewed a brett rye stout in January. 3 weeks on shredded beets in secondary. Racked onto oak for 2ish months. Carbing as we speak. Developed a nice pelical and all, however I will be leaving town for work for some time which forced me to keg earlier then desired.

Attachments

• 20190430_143130.jpg
    20190430_143130.jpg
    995 KB · Views: 31
Very interested in this. I'll be doing a big RIS aged in a rye barrel with a friend soon and want to take a part of it and add Brett c to it - not sure what to expect!

Back