Bread yeast, cool temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Testcider

Reaction score
I am aware that bread yeast is not optimal but I am curious now.
So I am very new and am wondering what bread yeast does when it is in cooler temperatures then reccomended. I read that it is optimal around 70-80 and I am sitting at a constant 50-60. Will it just take longer? It is still fermenting, just seems slow. I would assume it would slow down quite a bit and am wondering how much longer it will take compared to a normal temperature. I know this is a forum filled with brewers yeast but I'm hoping someone has something relatable that might help me.

I don't know either but after a decade and a half of brewing, I've decided I'm going to do a batch with bread yeast of some kind. I'll post outcomes.

Never mind. I did a bunch of reading all over the 'net and I've decided that I'll stick with brewer's yeast. I would be curious to try some beer made with bread yeast but it can be someone else's experiment.

Back