Estery Ale Yeast Low on Bananas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have an ale I need to replenish. I have always made it with Abbaye yeast or the liquid equivalent. I liked lots of banana flavor. I have banana fatigue, so I would like to push the flavor toward whatever else there might be, like dark fruits. I don't want a super-clean ale. I do want some kind of esters.

I used to ferment at room temperature. I am inclined to go lower this time. Here, room temperature is 75. I got a lot of bananas in another ale with Abbaye at 63, so I am not confident that fermenting cooler with Abbaye will reduce the Carmen Miranda act.

The beer is simple. Nine pounds Maris Otter, 2 pounds 10L crystal, and Crystal and Nugget hops. I like the spiciness of the hops. It goes to about 1.012.

Is there a better yeast for this purpose?

I have some Kveik Lutra and US-05 lying round. From what I've read, they don't sound optimal.

Well, it amazes me to keep finding out how little I know. Hopefully not too many people will chime in to agree with me.

I thought spicy flavors from yeast came from esters, but Fermentis says they come from phenolics, which are apparently not the same thing. So I guess I want a phenolic...y ale, not an estery ale.

Their site thinks BE-256 is good at making esters but not phenolics. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Maybe I should root through their site, since they publish such info.

Well, it amazes me to keep finding out how little I know. Hopefully not too many people will chime in to agree with me.

I thought spicy flavors from yeast came from esters, but Fermentis says they come from phenolics, which are apparently not the same thing. So I guess I want a phenolic...y ale, not an estery ale.

Their site thinks BE-256 is good at making esters but not phenolics. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Maybe I should root through their site, since they publish such info.
Yes, the Fermentis jargon is correct, on the other side of the coin certain off flavors are also called phenolic.
IMG_2612.jpeg

A combination of POF+ yeast, ferulic mash rest and low fermentation temps might help. Ferulic rest promotes 4VG which is that clove flavor. Low fermentation temp prevents isoamyl acetate which is the banana.

BE-256 is still a good option. I get more phenols from it than esters, and no banana.

Belle Saison or Wyeast 3711 will give peppery phenols without much esters... but will also dry out the FG to 1.002 guaranteed.

T-58 produces a good bit of apple & pear along with phenols, possible contender.

Witbier yeasts such as Lallemand Wit, the new SafAle BW-20, Wyeast 3944, or WLP400 or WLP410 will give you pepper plus pear.

Most other Belgian yeasts produce lots more esters so might not be worth your consideration.

WLP037 and WLP038 are also said to produce phenols, but I don't see these sold very often (probably limited or vault releases) and have never used them myself to know what esters they might produce.

Back