Bottling with washed yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merkinman

Reaction score
I feel like I am wasting money when I buy dry yeast to repitch at bottling -- especially since I have plenty of washed yeast around. How big of a starter do others prepare for repitching at bottling?

Why do you need to repitch at bottling? Do you brew a lot of extremely high grav beers or secondary for a year or more? In all my years of brewing, even with 5.5 month primaries, close to a year secondaries or beers up to 1.090, I've NEVER needed to pitch any more yeast to bottle, and I've never had a carbonation issue from not doing so...

So why do you?

(If you're worried about the money spent doing so, then don't bother.) *shrug*

A couple of years ago I brewed a 1.090 quadrupel that is truly excellent, but did not carb well at all, which is an understatement. Since then, when I brew a beer that strong, or when I have stored one in a secondary for longer than a few weeks, or when I have cold-crashed a beer, I will spend the extra $3 on some s-05 or champagne yeast to repitch at bottling. I have not have carbonation issues since -- perhaps this is completely independent of the extra yeast, but I think $3 is a pretty cheap insurance policy.

I'd think a 1 or 2 liter sized starter would work, just need to wake them up and add it as you probably have plenty of viable cells to do the work as long as the washed stuff isn't really old. If its under 3 months, a small starter will work for this if you're inclined to try it. But like Revvy said... shouldn't normally be an issue.

Back