Bottling temp priming sugar.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigtwins

Reaction score
Just a question about why the sugar amounts are different when the beer temperatures are different? I usually keg, but wanted to bottle a batch of Kentucky common rye. just pulled it from cold crashing. Looked up the priming calculator. It said to use less sugar for colder beer? How does that effect the priming?

Sent from my PG86100 using Home Brew mobile app

It's the final fermentation temperature that matters when priming, because that determines the amount of CO2 already in the beer. If you fermented at 68, then chilled to 38, the temperature to use at priming would be 68.

This only works when chilling down; if you heat the beer you drive the CO2 out. In that case use the highest temperature the beer was at to determine your priming rate.

Cold crashing doesn't change the amount of priming sugar you should use.

If using a calculator, enter the HIGHEST temp the beer was at during the fermentation process.

Or, you can just add 0.8 to 0.85 ounces (by weight) of corn sugar per one gallon of beer for a moderate level of carb.

Thanks for the responses. I had no idea it was the fermentation temps. Good to know, and makes sense.

Sent from my PG86100 using Home Brew mobile app

Back