Bottling and Faux-Oak Aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hrahn1995

Reaction score
So if anyone reads my other posts they will see that i am definitely a mead brewer that dabbles in some beers. My question today has to do with bottle conditioning a cyser but definitely goes to all my other brews as well.

This cyser wasnt clear when i bottled it but it was close to dry to i decided it would be fine and it hasnt turning into a bottle bomb yet. I cork all my brews that arent intentionally carbonated (some come out lightly bubble which is nice) so i lay them on their side to age to ensure the cork doesnt dry out, and because that is what i have been told to do. I checked on the cyser today to see how it was coming along in clearing and i noticed yes it did clear but there are lees all up the side of the bottle. would it be detrimental to turn my bottles vertical and let those lees settle out for abouta week or 2 then put them back on their side? Also for future brews if it hasnt cleared by the time i need to bottle them should i leave them vertical until the clear then move them to their side?

I also do some faux oaking in both the secondary, and bottle. if i cant remove the chips from a bottle, and they are washed pretty well, do you think i can re use them without any problems?

Back