Bombers Better Than 12ozs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smata67

Reaction score
I usually bottle a mix of 12oz and 22oz bottles. This last batch, Akka Lakka Pale Ale (Papazian Recipe), the 12oz are pouring a bit cloudy and essentially headless. The 22oz on the other hand, are crystal clear and, though still not where it should be in terms of head, a bit better. All bottles were treated equally in terms of cleaning and sanitation, taste is the same. Anyone ever notice differences just because of the bottle it was in?

It shouldn't make a difference one bit. The best thing about larger bottles is less work. The yeast probably didn't compact as fully as the 24 ounce bottles because of volume. If you wait long enough you should see a nice thin ring around the base of the bottle.

I believe that champagne bottles with the 26MM cap are the way to go unless you have a 29mm capper. Good luck. A nice restaurant might not mind giving you old champagne bottles as long as you share a bottle or two.

I like to bottle in the "gernade" type shapped bottles of belgium such as Duvel or Pirrat. The glass is nice and thick and under 12 ounces.

Back