Boil Time and hop additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InspectorJon

Reaction score
I'm having some difficulty in nailing down my boil times. My volume was over and the gravity was below target on my last brew so I boiled longer to get things to come out but it raised some questions in my mind regarding the hop additions. I use some bags I made out of paint strainer material for my hop additions. Once I hit the 1 hour mark I took all the hop bags out but I am thinking that since the process has to do with the hop oil isomerization that just taking the hops out of the pot would not stop the process.

I brewed a Doppelbock so it is not strongly hop driven but I am wondering if dry hopping might be a good idea to make up some of the lost flavor. Hops were originally Perle for 60 min. Hallertauer Mittelfrüher 20 min and 10 min. Add 15 minutes to all those times for the extended boil.

I wouldn’t dry hop a doppelbock as it should have no hop aroma, and little, if any, hop flavor. Yours may just be a bit more bitter than it normally would have been.

Yes and there was no 10 minute addition, I was confusing with the previous brew. So I now have a 75 minute Perle addition and 35 minute Hallertauer addition.

Latest posts

Back