Bock Recipe: Ale or Lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

estreeter

I'm looking to brew a Bock and have the attached recipe from my local supply store. My limited knowledge of this style is that it's a Lager yet the recipe seems to present it as an Ale. (At least that's what the yeast selection leads me to believe.)

My question to the more experienced brewers: Will this recipe yield a decent Bock or is it more of a facsimile for those brewers who don't have the ability to lager? I can lager no problem so I'm inclined to find a recipe that's more traditional.

Breakaway Bock Recipe.jpg

I'm looking to brew a Bock and have the attached recipe from my local supply store. My limited knowledge of this style is that it's a Lager yet the recipe seems to present it as an Ale. (At least that's what the yeast selection leads me to believe.)

My question to the more experienced brewers: Will this recipe yield a decent Bock or is it more of a facsimile for those brewers who don't have the ability to lager? I can lager no problem so I'm inclined to find a recipe that's more traditional.

to make a true bock you should always use lager yeast, like WLP833.
There are many "bocks" by the way - Dunkles bock, Dopplebock, Helles Bock, Eisbock and Weizenbock.

This one looks like Dunkles Bock to me.

Yea a lot of the kits that on sale for what sounds like it should be a lager will supply ale yeast. It will still make good bier, just now what the name implies.

I'm no expert, but bocks seem to be one of those styles where the yeast and hops stand aside for the malt flavours. So you want cold fermented lager yeast and a very modest amount of noble hops for bittering. I would say if you have the facility to lager, then go with lager yeast. The kits are designed for anyone to brew, if they supply lager yeast then that makes it inaccessible to 80% of their customers so it's not sound business.

I'm waiting for my first doppelbock to carbonate and the second one is in primary. Waiting is still the hardest part of brewing.

Be careful about mashing too high as well - you need to get good attenuation despite the bigger OG.

The description mentions Munich malt but it's not listed in the grain bill, which is weird...

something looks off with that. a preboil gravity of 1062 but a OG of 1046 and a FG of 1020 and a ABV of 6.7? none of those jive. preboil of 1046 maybe and OG of 1062 but if the FG is 1020 then the ABV is 5.5.

and bocks are lagers. this looks like an alt if anything

Back