Blow off tube best practices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SleepyCreekBrews

Reaction score
  1. You should use a tube large enough to carry the foam/hops without clogging.
  2. You should use a container capable of holding all the FOAM that may come out of the fermenter (generally 1/2 -1 gal) for a 5-10 gal batch. After all, we have a really active ferment too vigorous for a regular airlock. that's the reason we pulled this gear out.
  3. That container should only contain about 1" of sanitizer. The more sanitizer you put in there, the less room you have for blow-off/foam.
  4. The TUBE does not need to be submerged under 4" of sanitizer, in fact that only makes it harder to push the CO2 out and creates the potential for sucking significant quantities of sanitizer back up into the fermenter during chilling of draining.
  5. If there's a cap on the container, ensure there's a air-escape hole in the cap.

I usually use a 1/2 gal milk jug. The cap has 2 holes drilled in it, one to accommodate the actual blow-off tube, and another 3/16" for the CO2 to escape. I cut the tube off at a diagonal, and fill it with just enough Starsan to make it bubble.

Yall feel free to add add your own best practices as well.

Here's the cheap 5$
20180114_145736.jpg
20180114_145515.jpg
blow off tube nipple I use for my high gravity beers. I got tired of the normal airlock with a hose on it getting clogged.

Back