Blonde ale primary timeframe and temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chungking

Reaction score
Hey everyone, going to brew a Midwest blonde ale kit this weekend, was hoping for some feed back. It has 3#'s wheat dme, 2#'s extra light dme, steeping grains, and 1oz williamette hops. I got the wyeast Belgian witbier 3944 smack pack.
How long to let it sit in primary, and what temps should i try to hold it at during fermentation? I believe I read somewhere that wheat beers are best young, so I wasn't sure if primary for 3 weeks was good or not. Thanks!

According to Wyeast: Temperature Range: 62-75F, 16-24C. Personally, I'd keep it at 70 or less. Test your gravity after two weeks. If it's good to go, bottle it up!

Ok thanks. I've also read some recipes add some honey to it. Can anyone recommend this, and how much/when would I add this?

Just got done brewing her up. Everything went good, except I was pretty much forced to pitch at about 72.5*. I did a full boil for the first time, cooled with ic chiller down to 80*. Over estimated the cooling effect of top off water and could only add a gallon. I couldn't add anymore or I would have diluted it. So no choice but to pitch.

I know the temps high, but do you think it'll be alright? Ambient is about 70*, swamp cooler set to about 62-63*. Hopefully it'll bring the internal temp down quickly...

Just got done brewing her up. Everything went good, except I was pretty much forced to pitch at about 72.5*. I did a full boil for the first time, cooled with ic chiller down to 80*. Over estimated the cooling effect of top off water and could only add a gallon. I couldn't add anymore or I would have diluted it. So no choice but to pitch.

I know the temps high, but do you think it'll be alright? Ambient is about 70*, swamp cooler set to about 62-63*. Hopefully it'll bring the internal temp down quickly...

It will take a while to cool that down but it also will take a while for the yeast to get started so I think you will be just fine. Try to keep it cool for 3 or 4 days and then let it warm up. I think you will like the results.

It's been over 36 hours in fermenter. It's been super vigorous. I've had to clean and replace the airlock twice already. Was filled up with gunk, didnt want it to clog. I'm using a 6.5 gallon plastic bucket to ferment, with 5 gallons in there. So there is a lot of head space. Never had one like this. Internal temp was about 64*. A little low for the yeast I used, which said 65-72*.
Had to go to work today. Hopefully it won't clog and blow the lid off! I don't have the equipment for a blow off hose yet...

Take the airlock off for today so you don't have to worry about it plugging. With all the activity you have going on no bacteria will be able to get in there. Tonight you can clean up any mess from the krausen and put the airlock back on.

Going to have to watch this thread, never knew Ale was the same as Wheat. My Blonde Ale was in primary for 4 weeks and bottle for 3,,,my Hefeweizen calls for 2 and 2......will see this weekend when I take a reading.

And why not hook up a blow off tube? too many questions on this batch

Well, change in plans... I have to leave town today. Ill leave the airlock off for as long as possible, but I have a family emergency. Ill put it back on before I leave, unless you guys think otherwise. I don't have time to go get parts for blow off tube, unless I can use the airlock and hook a siphoning tube to it. Ill try it...

What do I put the other end of the tube in? Just a bucket of water?

Back