All Mosaic Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
My next brew, probably a bit later today, is going to be an all Mosaic Ale. It is a copy of a Citra kit I bought from Morebeer that I liked. So I thought I would give it a try with Mosaic. It is as follows:

10lbs Great Western Brewers Malt 2 Row Premium
12oz Great Western Crystal 15L
8oz Briess Carapils
8oz Great Western White Wheat

Hops:
1/2 oz Magnum 16.6AA @60min
1oz Mosaic 11.6AA @ 15 min
1oz Mosaic 11.6AA @ 5 min
1oz Mosaic 11.6AA @ 3 to 5 days prior to kegging

Whirflock tablet at 5 mins and 1/2 Campden tablet when the package says to add it. I think it was in the water prior to mash

60 minute mash at about 152
Sparge with 170 water to about 7 gallons
Boil for 60 mins to about 5.5 to 6 gallons
(The amounts are approximate, I am still trying to get a handle on my boiloff rates, but for 60 mins it seems to be somewhere between and gallon and a gallon and a half)

Yeast: I packet of CellarScience Cali (I am tempted to use the Bry97, but the recipe I am loosely following said to use the Cali)

Stats (I hope, LOL)
Pre boil gravity 1.045
OG 1.051
FG 1.009ish (This seems a bit low to me, so hopefully we will finish a bit closer to 1.012 or so)
IBU 51 (This is a bit high due to the Magum being a bit over what Brewfather had, I could cut the Magum down a bit to lower the IBU if I get feedback that says it would be best)
ABV 5.5

My thought is to ferment for at least 2 weeks, transfer to keg and let it sit in the kegerator at about 35 to 38 degrees for another week. Put the CO2 to it and carb at about 15psi until good to serve (that, in the past, has taken about 5 to 7 days if I remember correctly)

I am sure there are some flaws in my thinking here, but thought I would post it to see what you all thought. I am slowly getting the hang of this, and can now keep my mash temps pretty close to where they need to be with flame adjustment on my propane burner. I have about 3 or 4 that I have enjoyed, so my rotation is setting up nicely. Thanks to all, and Rock On!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Just playing with the numbers, if I cut the Magnum to a quarter oz, it brings the ibu down to 38, which I think might be a better idea than keeping it at 51. Thoughts

My next brew, probably a bit later today, is going to be an all Mosaic Ale. It is a copy of a Citra kit I bought from Morebeer that I liked. So I thought I would give it a try with Mosaic. It is as follows:

10lbs Great Western Brewers Malt 2 Row Premium
12oz Great Western Crystal 15L
8oz Briess Carapils
8oz Great Western White Wheat

Hops:
1/2 oz Magnum 16.6AA @60min
1oz Mosaic 11.6AA @ 15 min
1oz Mosaic 11.6AA @ 5 min
1oz Mosaic 11.6AA @ 3 to 5 days prior to kegging

Clarifier tablet at 5 mins and 1/2 whirflock when the package says to add it. I think it was in the water prior to mash

60 minute mash at about 152
Sparge with 170 water to about 7 gallons
Boil for 60 mins to about 5.5 to 6 gallons
(The amounts are approximate, I am still trying to get a handle on my boiloff rates, but for 60 mins it seems to be somewhere between and gallon and a gallon and a half)

Yeast: I packet of CellarScience Cali (I am tempted to use the Bry97, but the recipe I am loosely following said to use the Cali)

Stats (I hope, LOL)
Pre boil gravity 1.045
OG 1.051
FG 1.009ish (This seems a bit low to me, so hopefully we will finish a bit closer to 1.012 or so)
IBU 51 (This is a bit high due to the Magum being a bit over what Brewfather had, I could cut the Magum down a bit to lower the IBU if I get feedback that says it would be best)
ABV 5.5

My thought is to ferment for at least 2 weeks, transfer to keg and let it sit in the kegerator at about 35 to 38 degrees for another week. Put the CO2 to it and carb at about 15psi until good to serve (that, in the past, has taken about 5 to 7 days if I remember correctly)

I am sure there are some flaws in my thinking here, but thought I would post it to see what you all thought. I am slowly getting the hang of this, and can now keep my mash temps pretty close to where they need to be with flame adjustment on my propane burner. I have about 3 or 4 that I have enjoyed, so my rotation is setting up nicely. Thanks to all, and Rock On!!!!!!!!
It looks like it will make a lovely beer. Mosaic can certainly stand on its own.

If it were my recipe, I'd do the following things differently:
  • Drop the Carapils, use 16 oz. wheat malt instead. (Carapils won't do anything wheat doesn't do better.)
  • Change the 15 and 5 additions to 10 and hop stand.
  • Dry hop 2 days before kegging.
I'm not saying this will make a better beer, just that it fits my own tastes and brewing style more. Just things to think about.

I'd leave the Magnum at 1/2 ounce (I like my hoppy beers to have a bite).

It looks like it will make a lovely beer. Mosaic can certainly stand on its own.

If it were my recipe, I'd do the following things differently:
  • Drop the Carapils, use 16 oz. wheat malt instead. (Carapils won't do anything wheat doesn't do better.)
  • Change the 15 and 5 additions to 10 and hop stand.
  • Dry hop 2 days before kegging.
I'm not saying this will make a better beer, just that it fits my own tastes and brewing style more. Just things to think about.

I'd leave the Magnum at 1/2 ounce (I like my hoppy beers to have a bite).
Thank you for the feedback. I will see how things go. I looked at some of my other recipes and high IBU's have been some of my more faves. We will see. Rock On!!!!!!!!

Well, as most things I do go, nothing went right. My OG was way off at 1.041 instead of 1.051. The drain valve on my kettle clogged so I had to stick my hands in it to undo it. I sanitized them first, but I am sure that wasn't enough. I go to open the packet of yeast and it slips and dumps some all over my hands. So, this is very frustrating for me because I had high hopes. But like everything I do, including typing this post, I cannot seem to get it right. I am about to give up. I don't think I am made to do this. I am beyond pissed right now. Have a great day all.

Indeed it does, so many mistakes along the way. It's worth it, though, you will eventually get to a point where you understand the ingredients, make great combinations, and have some tasty beer. And once you stop making the mistakes it gets pretty fun.

Make yourself a little cheatsheet of steps, and don't be afraid to refer to it (or to make it full of steps). I still refer to mine!

Give it a moment and then let us know what happened and if we have suggestions to help.

Hang in there RedRocker. You ain't got nothin' on me as to brew days from Hell. Did I tell you about the time I tried to purge my serve keg with fermentation gas and, being somewhat ADHD connected the jumper to the liquid post instead of gas?

It gets better.
When you get enough brew days under your belt a lot of stuff becomes rote and you just do it right without thinking that much.
You just need to hang in there :)

Cheers!
I have been doing this for at least a year now. LOL. When does that happen. LOL. I'm gonna let it run and see what happens. If it sucks it goes down the drain. LOL

Well, as most things I do go, nothing went right. My OG was way off at 1.041 instead of 1.051. The drain valve on my kettle clogged so I had to stick my hands in it to undo it. I sanitized them first, but I am sure that wasn't enough. I go to open the packet of yeast and it slips and dumps some all over my hands. So, this is very frustrating for me because I had high hopes. But like everything I do, including typing this post, I cannot seem to get it right. I am about to give up. I don't think I am made to do this. I am beyond pissed right now. Have a great day all.

Don't get discouraged! I"ve been doing this about 20 years and still have days like that. When it's all said and done- you will have BEER! which you did not have before.

And each time, you might find ways to avoid those issues as it becomes more 'muscle memory'. That said, I burnt myself twice 10 days ago, on the same batch....Small burns, with a grand total of two blisters, but now maybe I'll remember not to move that hose without checking where it's actually attached. Maybe not, though. :)

Thanks all. I am just one of those guys that if it says it is supposed to be at 1.051 and it isn't I get pissed. All the batches I have made so far, with the exception of one, turned out ok. Some better than others of course. So, this will run it's course and see how we end up. I am going to buy the ingredients again and try again though, and maybe add a it more grain to get my OG a bit higher, but for now, it is what it is. LOL. Rock On!!!!!!!!

I feel your pain. I’ve been doing this for a little more than a year and I’m still struggling to hit my numbers. And something almost always goes wrong during the process. It’s frustrating but as a few of the posters have said, the beer still ends up tasting pretty good. And most of the time it’s fun. I’m looking forward to my next brew day, probably like Charlie Brown looked forward to kicking the football.

Well, it's bubbling away in the fermenter and seems to smell ok. LOL. At least based on the others I have done and put away in the closet. Had a bit of an issue with the closet being a tad on the warmer side, but I think I got it with a small fan. Nothing too huge, but hit 70 which is the top end of the yeast range. It is what it is. Going to leave it be for about a week and a half, I have a bunch of overtime this week so only one day off. After that, 3 to 5 days of dry hop and then in two Saturday's we bottle it up and see where we go with it. Two more weeks in the bottles to condition, then the taste test. LOL. I will update as I go. Thanks to all who commented. I was just frustrated, and maybe had one or two too many during the process. LOL Rock On!!!!!!!!

My $0.02 as a chef, the best recipes are still at the mercy of agricultural ingredients which are always in flux and variations in time, temp, etc. If it tastes good, call it good. Sometimes you get "happy accidents," like when I ran out of propane and ended up with a 1 1/2 hour mash instead of 1 hr. I'll never brew that recipe any different from now on.

Update to this brew day. I just pulled a sample to get my gravity reading, 1.006 is what I saw. Funny, I looked at my notes for the Citrus hop I did that is basically the same as this one and the numbers were exactly the same. So, with that said, this should be in the 4.5 to 4.6 ABV range and it smelled pretty good. Gonna keg it Saturday as I just added my dry hops to it. Gonna let those run for about 3 days and keg and carb it up for a week or so. Stay tuned, as the final taste test will be in the near future. LOL. Rock On!!!!!!!!

Final update. Been in the keg carbonating for about a week. I couldn't wait so I poured a pint. I gotta say, this came out pretty good. Not a huge flavor, ,but enough for me to taste the Mosac hops and I like it. I think next time I might add a bit more in the later stages to see if I can pull some more flavor from it, but it is definitely drinkable. LOL. Anyway, thanks to all who added insight and comments to this thread. I think this may go into the book as a keeper. Next up, all Chinook Pale to see what that taste like. Rock On!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back