Blichmann Top Tier Burner Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Blichmann Top Tier Burner commands a premium price, which may put a lot of people off. When you can get a burner for $29.99 that does an adequate job of heating wort, why pay five times that amount for equipment that does essentially the same thing? I too was skeptical at first, and started off with a basic Bayou Burner. I had to burn the paint off of it before I used it to brew. No biggie, but I didn't want the paint residue landing in my wort.
Then my adult kids bought me the Blichmann for Father's Day back in 2012. I would not have bought this for myself because I'm cheap (see first paragraph), but I was really pleased when I saw it. After all, it is a big, beefy piece of stainless steel art in my opinion. Let me say that if mine was destroyed, stolen, or lost, I would not hesitate to buy another one to replace it.
burner-1-2698.jpg

Quiet, Powerful And Built To Last
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I can get 2-3 times the brewing time per propane tank with the Blichmann Top Tier. With my old burner brewing extract recipes, I could safely get about 3 brews out of a 20 lb tank of propane, with only a little gas to spare. Using the Blichmann burner, my last tank of propane lasted me 5 all-grain brew cycles, as well as several meals cooked on my gas grill. That's heating the mash water, the sparge, and then full-boiling the wort. Blichmann Engineering's claim that it "sips" fuel is NOT marketing hype. This thing will pay for itself soon at $3.99 a pound for propane here.
The Bayou Burner should have been named the "Jet Burner," or something like that. I hated the sound of it. I could not listen to the radio while it was running, and holding a conversation with a fellow brewer is out of the question unless you are at least 20 feet away. The Blichmann on the other hand is whisper-quiet, even at "full throttle". You may think this is a minor thing (as did I, once), until that burner is shrieking in your ears for a solid hour and half.
burner2-2699.jpg

Quality Construction And Energy Efficient Design
You can argue about cost and value all day, and these points may be valid, but you cannot argue about the quality of the Top Tier Burner. It's a heavy duty, stainless steel piece of steampunk-style industrial bling that works, and it works well. I had one boil-over, and the dang thing never even missed a beat. No flame out or plugged holes when I was all done.
I lent mine out to friend whose turkey fryer cast-iron burner had cracked over the winter in his garage. That's where I store my burner too, but no problems in that department with the Blichmann. After he used it, he asked if he could keep it for another 2 weeks to brew with another friend. When he returned it to me, he said that his friend had decided to buy one on just the quietness factor alone. As my friend reluctantly handed it over, he admitted that he had thought the hype over Blichmann stuff was way overblown, but now was not so sure after using the Top Tier Burner.
burner3-2700.jpg

It's More Than A Purchase, It's An Investment
So, if you are on the fence, if you think Blichmann is all hype, try and find one to borrow, or go to brew club and ask questions. I think you'll find the only complaint is the price, but guess what: you get what you pay for. Other than the upfront cost, everyone LOVES the burner. I gave away my Bayou burner to a novice homebrewer, who was glad to get it; for me it was just a waste of money. You can't go wrong with the Top Tier Burner, and if you lose interest in homebrewing down the road, your Blichmann is still going to sell easily, even if well-used. You won't be giving this unit away. I can't recommend it enough.
burner3-2700.jpg

It makes sense that the Blichmann is much nicer than the $30 'jet burner' style. I would like to see/hear more side by side comparisons with the Bayou Classic KAB4 model which uses a similar 'banjo' burner. The KAB4 runs between $50-75, so roughly 1/3-1/2 the price of the Blichmann. I know I've seen threads in the forum, but only read one owner's opinion who had both.

Also received mine as a present, I now have 2 saving and for my 3rd
Good investment if you brew alot, saves a ton on propane.
Good write up FoamFollower, thanks I couldn't have said it better.

I have both and have had them both for years. I had the KAB4 first and it works well. I too was given the Blichmann as a gift when I wanted another burner for my tier system. Well I fully agree with the fact and know it is true that you can get more brews out of the Blichmann from a 20 lb LP tank. I use the KAB4 only for heating water now and the Blichmann for boils. The Blichmann also is more wind proof. I had to fabricated a wind collar for the KAB4, which also helps reduce the noise.
The KAB4 will work.....but the Blichmann is superior by far. I sell both in my shop but tell customers, "the Blichmann is the last burner you will buy."

Nice review. I've got one myself and I wouldn't go any other way.

I love how quite the Blichmann is, and it has good wind resistence.

So, did Blichmann really do something magical here or did they simply copy a 10 inch banjo burner? I see no difference and these are (probably) coming off the same casting production line in the same foundry as the Bayou Classic Banjo lineup. It would be cool to see a side-by-side comparison with fuel consumption etc.
Great write-up! Short, simple, informative. Good work man!

I also have to agree with this review. I bought one, but it was hard to justify the expense. Now, I wouldn't want to brew without it, unless I went completely electric. The burner is really quiet, easy to control, stable, looks good, and doesn't hog fuel. Overall, I couldn't be happier that I got it.
And now that we're moving out of a dinky apartment, I'll finally be able to fire it back up and make some delicious beer!

I like mine, and glad I bought it. But I was wondering the same as some of the others here. How does it compare to other 10" banjo burners? Is it the quality of the internal casting or the orifices that make a difference or are all 10" banjo burners the same?

Thank you for the review. I don't have a Blichmann but do have a KAB4. I will say it is one of the best upgrades I've made. So much faster to reach strike and boil temps. If you have the ability to use natural gas, I recommend that as well. I did not compare the KAB4 using propane vs. natural gas but using NG with the KAB4 is still far better than my cheap propane turkey fryer.
Only con I have on the KAB4 is the paint burns off during the first couple of uses. Nothing major, but I could see how this is a plus for the design of the Blichmann. For me, being able to purchase a KAB4 for half the price of a Blichmann helped me invest in other upgrades. We all have different preferences but I don't think you go wrong either way.

I have a couple of questions:
How precise / smooth is the flame adjustment? I have problems getting the flame adjusted to the level I want on my Bayou due to the cheap(?) valve for adjusting the gas flow.
Does this have a "sparker" starter? It's a PITA for me to get down on the floor and use a starter to fire up the burner. I'm old.
Definitely going to look into this further. Thanks for the great review.

how many gallons do you brew at once? Because 3 brews out of one tank?
I have a $30 burner form sports academy and I can get 10+ (5 gallon) batches out of mine. I am already on brew #7 from one tank. But I am looking at the burner you are reviewing, I want one because I am wanting to heat faster.

@DevilDog2000 This one is bang on! Very precise! I've had three burners prior, mostly hand built and one Bayou Jet, none of them can be dialed in like this one out of the box.
I will add a battery igniter to mine soon, but the flame access holes, (which are in close proximity to the jets) make it real simple to light with a jet lighter.

@oujens Did you have to make any changes to convert it to NG vice propane?

@hartlesj I purchased the Hurricane Natural Gas Conversion valve from Williams Brewing. Works awesome and no more propane! I should mention I only do 5 gallon batches. I just needed to purchase a gas connector and a brass fitting to get it hooked up in addition to the conversion valve.
There is a Blichmann conversion kit that is sold as well.

How about mounting options for the Blichmann? Is it capable of being mounted in a (non-Blichmann) stand, or it is it strictly for floor use?

I've had mine a year now and love it. I know I get 3 more brews out of a tank with the Blichmann burner. I love how quiet it is and it doesn't throw heat all around.
However, I can say that my old, noisy burner did get to boiling faster but what's another 5-10 minutes in a brew day?

@Peruvian802 KAB4 is identical, but has painted frame that burns off.

@Peruvian802 I had the Bayou classic you talk about and I thought it was great. When I bought my Top Tier with the Blichmann burners I was surprised to see the burner looked just like the one in the Bayou classic. Blichmann says they have been "tuned" to be quiet and efficient. I can tell you that there is a significant difference. I notice right away they were quieter and heated my water quicker. I have also found them to be use much less propane. I would not go back.

i just bought the KAB4 and made my own stand. saved much $$$!! Converted it to natural gas and save even more.

I've had the Blichmann burner for quite a while now and I love it.
It is much quieter and faster and easier to adjust and control than my old bayou burner.
I kept the bayou burner to take to parties and camping, though, in case somebody decides to walk off with it when I'm not around. No big loss if the bayou disappears, LOL.

I have the Blichman with the leg extensions. I love how it makes the kettle valve is the perfect height to drain into a 5-gallon fermenter. It basically makes the kettle tier #2 in a whatever-tiered system. I love how the positioning of the legs has the kettle resting directly ON the legs, directing all of the kettle weight straight down to the floor.

@JonM
Totally agree with this post. I have the same thing and I love it. I want a second Blichmann burner.
I've been eyeing the top tier. Is it also worth the money for those who have one?

Chiming in on this one. I got mine a month back on Craigslist for about $100 from a fellow brewer. Was supposedly only used a hand full of times and while hard to verify , it looked pretty new. Its just an amazing burner. I cant even imagine now using something else.
The control of the gas flow is seems pretty precise but i have not used many to compare.
Like others I was curious how it compared to the 10" Banjo but as someone has said, it is supposedly 'tuned' by Blichmann. I would like to see a test between the two sometime but doesnt matter to me this thing is worth the money.

I use the Blichmann with leg extensions and natural gas. My "stand" is a one burner, 2 ladder, ghetto setup. It's the only thing I've used, but no complaints -- except that I have 4 short, unused, stainless steel legs worth $25 that will sit in a box in my garage forever.

I started with a Bayou Classic SQ14 which is a fine burner but when my batch size increased, I bought my first Blichmann. It wasn't long before I bought my second one! I still use my SQ14 for smaller batches/kettles though.
They defiantly rock and are well worth the $$$. I highly recommend too!

@Clarke I was wondering the same thing. My crappy dept store turkey fryer is good for at least 8 all grain 5 gal batch on a single tank of propane. It heats from mashout to boil in about 15mins. It is loud when on full throttle but its quiet once I turn it back at full boil. I've been tempted by the blichmann a few times at the homebrewshop but its too pricey for me to pull the trigger. They do look awesome but id need some better stats on its performance.

I dig my Blichmann with leg extensions although my 10 gallon kettle is almost too small for it, would probably work best with a 15-20 gallon kettle.

I liked how quiet and efficient my friend's top tier burner was as well. I had a banjo at the time that worked well, but I was tired of going through propane tanks, especially for 10 gal batches. Blichmann is solid company. Proud to say they are from IN. I ended up investing in a BoilCoil and couldnt be happier. Hands how best investment (sort of as it was a Christmas gift) to my brewing system.

I like My "jet burner" the price was right. Free is a price right? and I definitely get more than the "3 batches" out of a 20 lb tank. I brew 5 gal batches and have a cooler as my mash tun. So unless I come across a chunk of cash that I don't need I am probably gonna stick with mine, but this is a great ad for Blichman, maybe you can get a free burner out of it. I think thermopens and ferm temp controls would be a better investment.

My cheapo jet burner from Menards does the job, but is slooooow in boiling even 5 gallons of water, and it soots up the bottom of my pot badly. Banjo burners may drink more gas, but they get the job done faster and with less mess.

I don't recall what burner I purchased but I do remember debating the cost on the Blichmann. I really wish I had bought the Blichmann. What I know now is that wind is a pain and the more your burner shields the flame from the wind the better. Had I known then what I know now it would be a no-brainer.

For everyone asking about the comparison between the KAB-4 and the Blichmann, check out the first link here:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=KAB+4+vs+blichmann
The Blichmann is a beast, and the level of craftsmanship is incomparable to anything else. Sure, it reads like an advertisement, but praise needed where praise is due. I've never received anything special from Blichmann, and I definitely boast about some of their products and proclaim of their superiorness when it is warranted. I have no qualms in making a proclamation that this burner is definitely worth the money, but obviously everyone has different values and amounts of disposable income.
Check out these charts that show roughly the level of savings (in both time and fuel) over the competitors:
http://goo.gl/iAmvfz
http://goo.gl/CFGU45

Latest posts

Back