Blichmann Top Tier Burner Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Blichmann Top Tier Burner commands a premium price, which may put a lot of people off. When you can get a burner for $29.99 that does an adequate job of heating wort, why pay five times that amount for equipment that does essentially the same thing? I too was skeptical at first, and started off with a basic Bayou Burner. I had to burn the paint off of it before I used it to brew. No biggie, but I didn't want the paint residue landing in my wort.
Then my adult kids bought me the Blichmann for Father's Day back in 2012. I would not have bought this for myself because I'm cheap (see first paragraph), but I was really pleased when I saw it. After all, it is a big, beefy piece of stainless steel art in my opinion. Let me say that if mine was destroyed, stolen, or lost, I would not hesitate to buy another one to replace it.
burner-1-2698.jpg

Quiet, Powerful And Built To Last
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I can get 2-3 times the brewing time per propane tank with the Blichmann Top Tier. With my old burner brewing extract recipes, I could safely get about 3 brews out of a 20 lb tank of propane, with only a little gas to spare. Using the Blichmann burner, my last tank of propane lasted me 5 all-grain brew cycles, as well as several meals cooked on my gas grill. That's heating the mash water, the sparge, and then full-boiling the wort. Blichmann Engineering's claim that it "sips" fuel is NOT marketing hype. This thing will pay for itself soon at $3.99 a pound for propane here.
The Bayou Burner should have been named the "Jet Burner," or something like that. I hated the sound of it. I could not listen to the radio while it was running, and holding a conversation with a fellow brewer is out of the question unless you are at least 20 feet away. The Blichmann on the other hand is whisper-quiet, even at "full throttle". You may think this is a minor thing (as did I, once), until that burner is shrieking in your ears for a solid hour and half.
burner2-2699.jpg

Quality Construction And Energy Efficient Design
You can argue about cost and value all day, and these points may be valid, but you cannot argue about the quality of the Top Tier Burner. It's a heavy duty, stainless steel piece of steampunk-style industrial bling that works, and it works well. I had one boil-over, and the dang thing never even missed a beat. No flame out or plugged holes when I was all done.
I lent mine out to friend whose turkey fryer cast-iron burner had cracked over the winter in his garage. That's where I store my burner too, but no problems in that department with the Blichmann. After he used it, he asked if he could keep it for another 2 weeks to brew with another friend. When he returned it to me, he said that his friend had decided to buy one on just the quietness factor alone. As my friend reluctantly handed it over, he admitted that he had thought the hype over Blichmann stuff was way overblown, but now was not so sure after using the Top Tier Burner.
burner3-2700.jpg

It's More Than A Purchase, It's An Investment
So, if you are on the fence, if you think Blichmann is all hype, try and find one to borrow, or go to brew club and ask questions. I think you'll find the only complaint is the price, but guess what: you get what you pay for. Other than the upfront cost, everyone LOVES the burner. I gave away my Bayou burner to a novice homebrewer, who was glad to get it; for me it was just a waste of money. You can't go wrong with the Top Tier Burner, and if you lose interest in homebrewing down the road, your Blichmann is still going to sell easily, even if well-used. You won't be giving this unit away. I can't recommend it enough.
burner3-2700.jpg

This sounds like paid advertisement for Blichmann.
That being said, as an electric stovetop brewer I'd love to try this sucker out!

It may sound a little pitchy but a good product is a good product. It certainly looks like a killer setup to put out some controllable sophisticated heat.

My first burner was a turkey fryer I bought from a guy on Craigslist, who was upgrading. I would later find out that he must have spilled wort on the regulator, because it was sticking. I got it working and finished my first batch, the whole time noticing how loud this thing was and how it would leave black soot on the bottom and sides of my kettle. I would later return it to him, commenting on how he failed to mention the regulator issue.
So, I went online and began comparing different burners, wanting to get the best there was for the money (all the time knowing what the best choice was, but was looking for something just as good for less money). What I would soon realize, is that I should probably go with my friend's saying, 'buy once, cry once.'
I cried a little bit when I checked out online, but was quickly consoled once the Blichman arrived. It is solid, well built and creates massive amounts of heat with minimal amounts of propane. Like the author said, I can easily brew five times (5-gallon brews) before needing to get my tank filled. It is quiet and I have recently upgraded my kettle to a 15 gallon, and it can get a rolling boil in that with little to no effort.
If you're on the fence, do what I did. Buy once, cry once, and spend your time focusing on the important stuff.

I own 3 Blichmann burners and love them. Quiet, efficient etc. I bought them for my first brew over 3 years ago and I have used them for over 100 brews. They're still working like new. I had a SS single tier stand built and removed the burners from the Blichmann frame and installed them on the tier system. They work just as well in this application. I'm brewing 20 gallon batches with no problem whatsoever. These things rock! I also have a KAB4 that I got in a package deal and there is no comparison. Don't know why, they look identical?

@MagicMatt that first link on the google search is pretty damning, directly comparing his Bayou KAB4 to a borrowed Blichmann.
http://www.superbrewers.com/i-should-have-bought-a-blichmann/
Key points:
"primary design flaw of [the Bayou] burner: there is too much distance between the burner and the kettle support."
"... five-gallon extract batch. My burner took ten and a half minutes to transition from a simmer to a full boil. The Blichmann powered through that transition in the matter of two minutes."
Personally, I'd be all over the Blichmann if I wasn't fairly sure my next step up will be to electric BIAB.

I am a Blichmann brewer, 3 burners, 3 kettles, and love all their equipment. I can't compare it to the Bayou banjo directly, but the stainless frame in my view is worth the extra $$$. Cleaning is such a PITA when it comes to brewing, something that is easier to clean is worth a premium, IMO.

Back