New England IPA Blasphemy - No Boil NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sampled again today: down to 1.013, which ought to be FG. Huge citrus aroma and flavor, mild but present bitterness, soft mouthfeel. I think it'll be a winner once carbed up.

Down to 1.011 now. Will check again in a couple days and if steady cold crash.

Still tastes great.

Nice! I started a wheat beer last weekend so I'm waiting to brew this til yours is done and you can tell me if it's bitter or not :p

Finally tapped my take on this beer: https://brew4fun.wordpress.com/2019/03/24/lazy-haze/

Long story short, it's awesome.

dsc_5449-1.jpg

Thanks for sharing your review -- sorry to hear about your ankle!

It happens, I guess! I made it to 37 without a broken bone or any other injury that required a hospital visit, so I don't have too much to complain about. :)

This thread has been a bit of a revelation for me. I've spent the last few years making all-grain NEIPA using variations of Braufessor's recipe. The results have been delicious, but damn it's a lot of time and work. With two little kids at home, it's been hard to brew frequently enough to keep a keg on tap. So when I saw this recipe, I thought "what the hell, how bad could it be" and decided to give it a try.

I tried to keep things as simple and quick as possible. I first heated filtered tap water in my electric kettle to about 200 degrees. I then transferred it into my SS Brewbucket, and stirred in 6lbs of Wheat DME, 2lbs of table sugar, and 5g or so of CaCl. I then put on the lid and an airlock and left it to cool overnight. Total hands-on brew day time: about 30 minutes (and no clean up! the only thing in the kettle was water!).

The next day, I pitched a packet of S-04 and put it in the fermentation chamber. I added 3 oz. each of Citra and Mosaic about 24 hours into active fermentation. Kegged only 5 days later when airlock activity had greatly slowed. Went from 1.070 to 1.011 so about 7.75%. Kegging was probably the most time consuming part, as I was very careful to avoid oxidation by purging the keg with C02 and doing a closed transfer.

Has only been carbing for 2 days, but beer is already quite drinkable. I expect it to improve significantly in the next week. It might not be as good or complex as an all-grain NEIPA with whirlpool additions, but I can't believe how easy the process was. Raising the water temp initially to 200 greatly reduced my concerns about infection (and made it easy to dissolve the DME and sugar), and with no bittering or whirlpool hops, I didn't have to worry about chilling it quickly. Perhaps best of all, the only thing I had to clean was my fermentor.

"Blasphemy no-boil NEIPA" should more accurately be called "Blasphemy no-boil no-chill no-bittering no-whirlpool no-cleanup no-angry-wife surprisingly-decent NEIPA."

Thanks OP!

This thread has been a bit of a revelation for me. I've spent the last few years making all-grain NEIPA using variations of Braufessor's recipe. The results have been delicious, but damn it's a lot of time and work. With two little kids at home, it's been hard to brew frequently enough to keep a keg on tap. So when I saw this recipe, I thought "what the hell, how bad could it be" and decided to give it a try.

I tried to keep things as simple and quick as possible. I first heated filtered tap water in my electric kettle to about 200 degrees. I then transferred it into my SS Brewbucket, and stirred in 6lbs of Wheat DME, 2lbs of table sugar, and 5g or so of CaCl. I then put on the lid and an airlock and left it to cool overnight. Total hands-on brew day time: about 30 minutes (and no clean up! the only thing in the kettle was water!).

The next day, I pitched a packet of S-04 and put it in the fermentation chamber. I added 3 oz. each of Citra and Mosaic about 24 hours into active fermentation. Kegged only 5 days later when airlock activity had greatly slowed. Went from 1.070 to 1.011 so about 7.75%. Kegging was probably the most time consuming part, as I was very careful to avoid oxidation by purging the keg with C02 and doing a closed transfer.

Has only been carbing for 2 days, but beer is already quite drinkable. I expect it to improve significantly in the next week. It might not be as good or complex as an all-grain NEIPA with whirlpool additions, but I can't believe how easy the process was. Raising the water temp initially to 200 greatly reduced my concerns about infection (and made it easy to dissolve the DME and sugar), and with no bittering or whirlpool hops, I didn't have to worry about chilling it quickly. Perhaps best of all, the only thing I had to clean was my fermentor.

"Blasphemy no-boil NEIPA" should more accurately be called "Blasphemy no-boil no-chill no-bittering no-whirlpool no-cleanup no-angry-wife surprisingly-decent NEIPA."

Thanks OP!

This is awesome. Post a pic when it's all carbed and hit us with your full tasting notes!

Last edited:
So... slightly off-topic. The no-boil NEIPA was on my to-brew list but in the interim I was making an American wheat (Blue Moon clone, effectively) and I decided to dry hop it with 2 oz Amarillo during the last 3 days of fermentation and WOW. It comes across like a faux NEIPA. It's hazy and has that nice hop flavor and aroma with very little bitterness. I took a sample while it's still a bit tepid and undercarbed but I already love it.

Granted, it's all-grain and nowhere near as simple as this recipe is. But I love it so much (can't wait 'til it's cold and carbed!) that I might just stick to this one, lol.

Edit: though it may clear up a bit when it's properly cold crashed. We'll see. The flavor is great, though, so I won't care even if it's not hazy.

Has anyone tried doing a partial no boil them topping off with cold water to pitching temp? How where the results?

I've been thinking about doing a half hour boil or less however I'm having trouble getting to an OG of 6.3-6.4 % without making the SRM go too crazy and not use any dextrose.

So how do you dissolve the DME? Do you heat up the water enough to dissolve DME but not all the way to a boil?

In my cold brew Hefe, just add dme to the bucket with RO water and stir. There are clumps but those go away. The end product is fine. DME is already boiled pre packaged. fyi.
Hmm ok. Feel like I’ve been stirring for quite awhile and still see some small clumps...

Brewed and carbed up my first batch of this. Head retention is poor and needs to be much softer mouthfeel for the style. Might be that its still a little green but this style is made to be drunk fresh. I have made NEIPA's before and never had these problems. Its ok, drinkable I guess but probably wont brew again. Just my 2 cents.

Brewed and carbed up my first batch of this. Head retention is poor and needs to be much softer mouthfeel for the style. Might be that its still a little green but this style is made to be drunk fresh. I have made NEIPA's before and never had these problems. Its ok, drinkable I guess but probably wont brew again. Just my 2 cents.

So, I will retract much of what I said earlier. After a week in the keg and a few pours that probably cleared the last of the hop particles, this is a much smoother beer. Head retention for me is still poor but the hop bite is gone. I still prefer my all grain recipe but for the ease and the fast brew day, you cant beat this.

So, I will retract much of what I said earlier. After a week in the keg and a few pours that probably cleared the last of the hop particles, this is a much smoother beer. Head retention for me is still poor but the hop bite is gone. I still prefer my all grain recipe but for the ease and the fast brew day, you cant beat this.
Time is a HBers friend. Glad things are turning for the better.

I want to give this a whirl but use the hops I have on hand. I have 2 ounces each of Meridian, Denali, Jarrylo, Eukanot and Sorachi ace.

What combination of these would you think would be a good choice to try ?

Awesome, I'd try it next. I too like to dry hop only and find enough bitterness imparted due to it. Late additions are a waste of money in my experience as during the fermentation, most of the aroma oils evaporate.

I want to give this a whirl but use the hops I have on hand. I have 2 ounces each of Meridian, Denali, Jarrylo, Eukanot and Sorachi ace.

What combination of these would you think would be a good choice to try ?

Denali, Ekuanot and Meridian will work fine together, but I feel you might be still missing something in there, like some Citra, Amarillo, Mosaic ( not a fan ), Simcoe, Galaxy, Vic Secret, Ella, Riwaka, Motueka, etc. However, if you brew using these hops, the beer will turnn out well. I don't think it will be very juicy, but will definitely have interesting flavours. I wouldn't use Sorachi Ace, due to their very assertive dill flavour, which I am not a fan of.

Yeah I have been struggling to find a use for my impulse buy of the Sorachi ace

I do have 1 ounce ea of eldorado,Amarillo, bravo, summit and azacca. I was holding aside for other brews, but if they can be used to bring up the juice factor so be it

If I add those to the pot what combination could I do to get that juicy flavor profile bumped up a bit?

Can back this up. I was pretty underwhelmed with my first samples after carb-bursting for a day. It's about a week later and this might be the most fragrant IPA I've ever made.

As an aside, brewing this was actually super instructive for me to see if my fermentation or packaging steps need work. Given how nice this tastes, I now know I really need to figure out how to improve my mash, boil, and/or transfer. haha

I scaled this down to a 2.5 gallon batch and my "brew day" approach was pretty easy. I used NYC tap, added salts per Bru'n Water, and heated it up to just prior to boil. I added all of the DME and sugar to my fermentation keg and simply poured the water in (be careful with this step, obviously). I gently swirled the keg a bit and then just put it in the fermentation chamber until it cooled to 65F (took about 12 hours).

The next day, I added O2, and pitched a full packet of dry yeast (didn't hydrate). Fermented at 65 for about a week, added the first round of dry hops about a half-day after blow-off activity really cranked up, the second round 3 days later, then turned the temp up to 72 when there were a few points remaining. Terminal was reached and then I packaged.

Will probably do this again but with maybe Golden Dry.

Hi All,
I stumbled across this thread over the weekend and am very intrigued. I hope my attempts work as well as the others here. If so, this is a game changer for me, as a lot of my time these days are filled with kid stuff/sports. I fired up my first attempt last night. I went with 3# Bavarian wheat DME, 3# Golden Dry, and 2# sugar. I collected 5.25 gal of filtered water in my fermenter and added a couple of grams of both gypsum and CaCl2. It was late, so I just dumped all the ingredients straight in and stirred the bejesus out of it for 5 min or so. There were still quite a few clumps, but I said to heck with it and threw in two packs of S-04 and put it in the ferm fridge and went to bed (luckily enough, my water was at 65 degrees, so no need to wait for it to cool/warm before pitching). I checked on it this morning, and it appears that most of the clumps are gone! The plan is to go with 6oz of Mosaic tomorrow (assuming fermentation takes off today). Fingers crossed!

I was getting ready to make another NEIPA so I figured I'd give this a whirl...

12 gallon batch

Mash Bill:
22 lbs Pilsen Malt
4 lbs Torrified Wheat
2 lbs Flaked Oats

Single infusion mash, 15 gal of strike water.
I have a very fine home-made false bottom for my 25 gal Mash Tun, so I set my grind to .025 on my Monster Mill three-roller mill.
I used my RIMS setup to set my strike water to 155F, added the grist, and slowly brought the temp up to 150F, where I mashed for 90 minutes.
I then set my RIMS to 168F, allowed the wort to reach temp, and drained into my kettle.
I used my burner to bring the wort up to 180F, turned off the burner and whirlpooled the following for 20 minutes:

Hop Additions :
4 oz Amarillo
4 oz El Dorado
2 oz Idaho #7

I transferred my wort from my kettle into my Sanke Fermenter and allowed the wort to cool in my temperature controlled Fermentation Chamber. This took about 12 hours. I use the no-chill method, since I live in the high desert, and water is a scarce commodity.
I ended up with about 12 gals of wort with an SG of 1.062, just about where I wanted it.
Once the wort had reached pitching temperature, I oxygenated with pure oxygen.
I had previously made a 4-liter starter using Imperial Yeast A38, which I decanted, and pitched into the wort.
My fermenter has a 4-inch tri-clamp opening and the lid has liquid-out and gas-in ball-lock posts, as well as a 26-inch thermowell and PRV.
I placed my spunding valve on the gas-in post, set it to 15psi, set the fermentation chamber to 70F, and let it sit.

After about a week, I checked the progress, and I seemed to be stalled at about 1.015.
I have a bottle of glucoamylase that I use when making Brut IPAs, so I added about 10ml to the wort, along with my first dry-hop addition:

2 oz Amarillo
2 oz Eldorado

I put the spunding valve back on and left it for 3 days.

When I came back, the wort has dried out to 1.002. I added the last of my dry-hop additions and let it sit for 3 more days:

2 oz Amarillo
2 oz Eldorado
2 oz Idaho #7

I then cold-crashed the beer at 35F for three days and transferred the beer using CO2 into two 5 gal Torpedo kegs that had been sanitized with 5 gals of Star San and purged with CO2.

The beer came straight from the fermenter carbonated, had a nice aroma, great taste, just enough hop bite in the finish, and just a little dry and nice mouthfeel.

This one is definitely a keeper:rock:

As an update, seven days after hopping with 6 oz Mosaic (FG ended up around 1.010), I packaged and burst-carbed for 24 hours at 40 psi. Similar to @dirkjk and @midegrou I am a bit underwhelmed. Aroma is great, but mouthfeel is thin and there is an odd aftertaste that I cannot put my finger on. I am hoping that this blossoms as time goes on as the others have found.

Nevertheless, I was so intrigued by this that I made a second batch, 3# Bavarian Wheat, 3# Pilsen DME, 2# sugar. This time I used Poland Spring water and added 3 gm each Gypsum and CaCl. This one I let sit overnight to cool down a few degrees before pitching S-04 (again, all clumps gone!). This time I cleared out the freezer and went with 2 oz Mosaic, 2 oz Amarillo, 1 oz Citra, and 1 oz Simcoe. I am planning to keg tonight. I cannot wait to taste a sample.

This is a really fun experiment.

IMG_4601.jpg

Posted this pic in the What are you Drinking thread yesterday, but thought I should check in here as well! This was my first go at this recipe, so I went by the original recipe, and dang! it turned out great! My only slight modification was scaling down the OG a little, so I started with 12.89 gallons at 1.064. Finished at 1.009 with Imperial Yeast A04 Barbarian, and I dry hopped with El Dorado and Azacca when fermentation was at 1.030 and let it sit for another 5 days before kegging and force carb’ing.
I was short on time, so I didn’t even let the camden sit in the water for any time at all, but it worked out fine! Dumped about 9 gallons of RO water into my fermenter, the crushed camdem tab, and my salt additions calculated via Bru’n’water, then dumped all of the extract and turbinado sugar in, and topped up with the rest of my water, pitched, and let it go to town! Easiest brew day by far, and I’m having a hard time deciding if this or my AG BIAB batch of Braufessor’s NEPIA is better... this recipe is certainly staying in my rotation!

OK, so a little more than a week later, both of my batches have improved considerably, and I am really digging both. I'll definitely be doing this again. But next time I am going to go with the set it and forget it carb method and give it a week or two to blossom. Thanks to the OP for the inspiration on this! What an amazingly easy way to try out different hop combos.

This looks awesome -- think I wanna give this a shot but don't have temp control as of yet and it is a hot summer.

Any thoughts of brewing this with Kveik yeast? Or should I invest in a swamp cooler and go with the original S-04?

I think might try a some ratio of Huell Mellon and Summit given I don't have any fancy hops (e.g. Citra/Mosaic) on hand. Not sure if that is a bad idea as well (I've heard if you dry-hop summit at peak-fermentation it actually produces a lot of tangerine notes).

Cheers in advance

When I bottled this, the room temperature wort had a definite cider-like aroma and taste that wasn't very pleasant, to the point where I considered dumping it. I continued anyway and after a week in the bottle the cider character is gone, thankfully.
I know you posted it a while ago but I thought I’d chime in and let you know what you were experiencing. What you smelled and tasted was the presence of Acetaldehyde. It’s a precursor to alcohol and yeast produce it during fermentation naturally. When fermentation is over the yeast will continue to eat the wort and though there is no sugars left that they can convert, they will reconsume the acetaldehyde and properly convert it to alcohol. This is what people refer as 2-3day clean up

When you bottle conditioned and added priming sugar, the yeast cleaned up some over it and that’s why it wasn’t so present

This looks awesome -- think I wanna give this a shot but don't have temp control as of yet and it is a hot summer.

Any thoughts of brewing this with Kveik yeast? Or should I invest in a swamp cooler and go with the original S-04?

I think might try a some ratio of Huell Mellon and Summit given I don't have any fancy hops (e.g. Citra/Mosaic) on hand. Not sure if that is a bad idea as well (I've heard if you dry-hop summit at peak-fermentation it actually produces a lot of tangerine notes).

Cheers in advance

I don't see why this wouldn't work with kveik (indeed I might try it myself later this summer). Just try to minimize O2 exposure as much as possible.

Hi all, I unfortunately did not have great success with this recipe. My reactions:

1) Not hazy. Not exactly clear but nowhere near the orange/grapefruit juice looking brews. Looks like a typical wheat ale.
2) Little to no hop aroma.
3) Quite sweet and apple juice tasting.
4) Undercarbonated (I believe I calculated priming sugar correctly and gave it 2 weeks at room temp and 1 week chilled before opening the bottles)

There are a few things I did differently which may have contributed:

1) Forgot campden (just straight up forgot)
2) Utilized 3oz of cryo hops [1oz Ekuanot Cryo, 2 oz Mosaic Cryo] (homebrew store said they are 2x as potent, so I halved the quantity)
3) I cold crashed for 2 weeks
4) I didn't do water chemistry (in Chicago we have very soft water, so if anything I would need to add minerals)
5) I did not add turbinado sugar (didn't sell it at the homebrew store and didn't feel like going to whole foods) [Grain bill was 4 lb Briess Bavarian Wheat DME]

Things that went well:
1) I struggled mightily to get dry malt extract into my glass carboy (how do you guys do it?). My roundabout method resulted in an extremely aerated wort. Fermentation was banging away. I added the hops at high krausen. [Safale S-04]
2) Bottling was a very quiet transfer: autosiphon with bottle filler directly into bottles, virtually no bubbles.
3) During bottling, it was smelling and tasting gorgeous, had a nice orange color. I was really excited to taste it.
4) My carboy was PBWed and sanitized. Looking very clean. Bottles were clean and sanitized. Other than campden, I'm not aware of sanitation issues.

Somewhere between bottling and the final result, the aroma and taste have vanished. It seems like everyone has had great success with this, so I'm curious if anyone has had less than stellar results, or has any input into what went wrong.

Sweet tasting and no aroma sounds like oxidation to me. Bottling NEIPA is always a crapshoot, in my experience. You really need a kegging setup to get the most out of the style, and even then you need to work hard to avoid O2 contact.

Other things:
1. Cold crashing isn't necessary for NEIPA, especially for that long.
2. Water chemistry can really help with hop flavor/aroma (see recent Brulosophy podcast w/ Scott Janish)
3. You don't need turbinado sugar per se. Table sugar/corn sugar are fine. But you don't really need any (I didn't use any in mine).
4. Re: mixing DME and water, I'd do it in a separate (sanitized) pot and then funnel it (again, sanitized) into the carboy.

Somewhere between bottling and the final result, the aroma and taste have vanished. It seems like everyone has had great success with this, so I'm curious if anyone has had less than stellar results, or has any input into what went wrong.
So it started at you coldcrash and got worse as it bottled. You’re experiencing oxidation like @deadwolfbones mentioned. As your wort cold crashes it creates negative pressure and draws air in through the airlock. And you cold crashed for. Week so it sat on 02 for that long. Then you bottled without filling the headspace with co2 so the bottle capped in 02 so when your priming sugar got ate by the yeast it forced all that o2 into the beer

Thanks for the feedback.

@deadwolfbones you cold crashed yours. How did you prevent O2 being introduced? I know some people CO2 “purge” their kegs which I’ve thought was a bit of a myth. I have a kegerator setup, so I can keg no problem, but I don’t really have a means to CO2 purge.

I will reiterate that my bottle fill was one of the quietest I’ve ever done. Autosiphon, transfer tubing, bottle filler to bottom of bottle - no bubbles. Other than some kind of pressurized fill with CO2, I’m not sure what I could do to further inhibit O2 introduction (other than not cold crashing, or some kind of cold crashing with a CO2 balloon, which seems silly to me).

Thanks for the feedback.

@deadwolfbones you cold crashed yours. How did you prevent O2 being introduced? I know some people CO2 “purge” their kegs which I’ve thought was a bit of a myth. I have a kegerator setup, so I can keg no problem, but I don’t really have a means to CO2 purge.

I crashed slowly (gradually ramped the temp down by a few degrees a day) and fore half the time you did. There was probably some CO2 ingress, but not much. Next time I wouldn't do it at all. Brulosophy has info on a few different methods to avoid it entirely. (The simplest/most common is using a mylar balloon over the airlock during fermentation, so when you cold crash it just sucks the CO2 from fermentation back into the airlock.)

As for purging kegs, it's not a myth, but it's also not guaranteed to 100% rid you of O2. The best method is to fill the keg with a Star San solution, then use CO2 to push it out. Presumably the vast majority of the keg would then be full of CO2. When you transfer the beer in, you connect your siphon (or, in my case, the spigot on my fermenter, via gravity) directly to the liquid OUT post on the purged keg, vent the pressure so that only a couple PSI remain, then start the flow from your fermenter and vent pressure from the keg as necessary to keep the beer flowing.

Last edited:
On the subject of NEIPAs, one of the local breweries in Chicago that's making outstanding haze-bombs (Noon Whistle) told me they use 15 lb/bbl hop rates, which by my math equates to 28 oz of hops in a 5 gal batch. Any takers?

Back