New England IPA Blasphemy - No Boil NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can’t answer your LME question, but I did see a post on Reddit awhile back about a guy who swore his process allowed for successful bottling of NEIPA.

I unfortunately did not save the post, but it was basically bottling straight from the fermenter in to bottles with carb drops so that a bottling bucket is not needed.

Obviously, most things on the internet should be taken with a grain of salt but I plan to try this technique on a gallon batch of this no boil recipe.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Homebrewin...ually_you_can_bottle_neipas_at_home_or_how_i/ ?

I can’t answer your LME question, but I did see a post on Reddit awhile back about a guy who swore his process allowed for successful bottling of NEIPA.

I unfortunately did not save the post, but it was basically bottling straight from the fermenter in to bottles with carb drops so that a bottling bucket is not needed.

Obviously, most things on the internet should be taken with a grain of salt but I plan to try this technique on a gallon batch of this no boil recipe.
It’s the headspace that will get all bottlers with this style. When the yeast start to work on the bottle the o2 in the neck will be forced into the beer and it’s more o2 than the yeast can scrub. With solid bottling techniques you can definitely minimize oxidation and it will take longer for the beer to turn to crap but a bottled condition NEIPA in its prime can never stack up to a kegged one with proper o2 eliminating techniques

It’s the headspace that will get all bottlers with this style. When the yeast start to work on the bottle the o2 in the neck will be forced into the beer and it’s more o2 than the yeast can scrub. With solid bottling techniques you can definitely minimize oxidation and it will take longer for the beer to turn to crap but a bottled condition NEIPA in its prime can never stack up to a kegged one with proper o2 eliminating techniques

I am certainly in no place to disagree. But the ingredients and effort for a gallon of this is so minimal it’s worth a shot to me. If I lose 8-9 bottles of beer that I spent 30 min max “brewing”, it’s no sweat off my back. You know, do it for science, or whatever.

I am certainly in no place to disagree. But the ingredients and effort for a gallon of this is so minimal it’s worth a shot to me. If I lose 8-9 bottles of beer that I spent 30 min max “brewing”, it’s no sweat off my back. You know, do it for science, or whatever.

Pretty much exactly what I was thinking, worst case scenario a few weeks of waiting wasted. A couple $. Thanks for all the replies

Yesterday, I bought the ingredients for this beer and today I said F it and threw everything together in the fermenter. I used 5 quarts of water, 1.5lbs of wheat DME and .5lb of turbinado sugar. I plan to dry hop with 17g each of Citra and Mosaic.

I will also be bottling this batch so we will see how that goes. I swear if I ruin it by bottling, I won’t come back in here talking about how bad the recipe is haha!

IMG_3683.JPG

I can’t get the water chemistry components of this recipe where I live, thoughts on it without these?

So I will have to retry this soon. Due to life, this beer spent way too long in the fermenter and is very dark and very murky.

I tasted it about a week in to fermentation and it was everything I was expecting, but I was scared to bottle it that soon. I am going to look in to getting a small batch keg system so I can keg this.

So easy...so good. I didn’t use any sugar. Went with 2oz Citra and 1oz Mosaic for whirlpool and the same after fermentation started. This would be good to try single hop variations to better understand the impact of late additions and dry hop character for different hop types.

Part of my process is hitting wort with oxygen. I realized halfway through that process that it wasn’t necessary with no boil. Didn’t seem to hurt anything. Looking forward to exploring different variations.

IMG_0659.JPG

So I'm going give this a go in the next few weeks. I recently bought a floating dip tube, maybe this is the perfect beer to do fermenting and serving in the same keg a try. That is a fool proof way to minimize O2. Has anyone else tried this? Thanks :mug:

So I brewed the original recipe and just tossed it in the keg last night. Smell was super nice and the mouth feel was decent. Once I get it serve ready will be the true test, but so far so good for such a quick batch.

Very new to HB, and have never used DME. With doing something like this, will have I have issues going through a in-line filter or plate chiller? Just wondering if it will gum it up?

Very new to HB, and have never used DME. With doing something like this, will have I have issues going through a in-line filter or plate chiller? Just wondering if it will gum it up?

I can’t speak for everyone else, but I personally did not even heat my water for this recipe. I used distilled water and threw everything in the fermenter. No cooling necessary. I will do the same thing when I get to “brew” this again because the sample tasted excellent.

I can’t speak for everyone else, but I personally did not even heat my water for this recipe. I used distilled water and threw everything in the fermenter. No cooling necessary. I will do the same thing when I get to “brew” this again because the sample tasted excellent.
Same for me - throw it all together and let it ferment. No heating or chilling necessary.

Thank you both. I ordered DME and hops the other day, so I am very excited to try this out.

What do you mean you don’t heat your water at all?

What do you mean you don’t heat your water at all?

I pour the water from the jugs in to a sanitized fermenter then pour any salts, the dme and brown sugar in and pitch yeast. Dry hop at high krausen and then package shortly after that. I unfortunately did not get to the packaging part quick enough on my last batch due to life, but I did try an early sample and it was very good.

This makes for such an easy brew day I’ll be doing it again soon.

I pour the water from the jugs in to a sanitized fermenter then pour any salts, the dme and brown sugar in and pitch yeast. Dry hop at high krausen and then package shortly after that. I unfortunately did not get to the packaging part quick enough on my last batch due to life, but I did try an early sample and it was very good.

This makes for such an easy brew day I’ll be doing it again soon.
At that point why even worry about sanitizing your fermenter lol

At that point why even worry about sanitizing your fermenter lol

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure there are others in this thread that have used the same technique. In fact, the original recipe never once calls for any sort of heat. I could have interpreted it incorrectly, but I don’t think so.

As long as your water isn’t coming from a pond, I don’t really see the issue.

If you’re going to heat water you might as well do a mash and skip the DME.

Done No-heat all DME hefes/IPAs. Also done 100 hard lemonades which I heat water only for melting the concentrate. I do sanitize buckets tho! I've done no-boil stouts heating to 180 w/special grains. Nothing beats all-grain traditional beers in general, IMHO, but if all one wants is an easy decent drink, this is the way to go

Done No-heat all DME hefes/IPAs. Also done 100 hard lemonades which I heat water only for melting the concentrate. I do sanitize buckets tho! I've done no-boil stouts heating to 180 w/special grains. Nothing beats all-grain traditional beers in general, IMHO, but if all one wants is an easy decent drink, this is the way to go
Agreed - it's not as good as a full boil all grain NEIPA, but for 10min of work, it gets damn close.

Might give this a go in the near the future. Could I make it a bit more sessionable or the higher OG is recommended to help keep away the bugs with more alcohol?
You could make it sessionable but you may need up the wheat dme or add steeping grains to build the body

As I've said earlier in the thread, I'd eliminate the sugar and that would probably give you the OG you're looking for.

As I've said earlier in the thread, I'd eliminate the sugar and that would probably give you the OG you're looking for.
Have you ever made a solely wheat grain or dme beer? Way too one dimensional and “wheatie” if you know what I mean

I hadn't considered that...maybe 1/2 wheat DME 1/2 light DME?
That could certainly work. I was also think a 1/3 wheat 2/3 golden light for the dme and steeping come carapils or carahell to add to the body. It’s certainly a nice quick recipe and if your process is sound and pitch rate is good you won’t get any extract twang

Yeah, I used 100% "wheat" DME for my no-boil IPA and it definitely wasn't too wheaty.
I have with a pale and it was but I guess everyone’s pallet can detect different thing or enjoys different flavors profiles. I will still to a minimum of 60-65% base malt or base dme for my recipes but to each their own

Hi guys.
Thanks for your replies. I'll be using a liquid malt which is something like a 50/50 mix of wheat and 2-row. Even calculating for the extra water in the liquid malt it's working out cheaper per kilo than dry malt. I'll use it up quickly after buying so no need to worry about it getting old.

Just want to again thank the OP for this. So easy, and pretty darn good for the amount of effort. I just moved, so this was a great way to get something on tap fast for the new neighbors while most of the equipment was still in boxes. This time I went with the OP original recipe, and I think this is my favorite!

I've tried Wheat/pilsen and Wheat/light combos, but I think you get a slightly better mouthfeel with Wheat only (as noted above the wheat DME is really only about 1/3 wheat, and that will get diluted even more if you add light or pilsen). It is still thin, but better IMHO.

And just like the others, no heat here. Just dump everything in and stir the bejesus out of it for a few minutes. There are lumps, but I find those lumps dissolve overnight.

I've used both turbinado and table sugar. I don't taste a difference, but the turbinado does add a bit of color.

Also a closed transfer REALLY helps with longevity. Still strong after 3 weeks, whereas my first batch went south after around 2. Cheers!

I'd like to try this but I'm worried about any contaminants that might be present in the DME.
I too worry about the complete no heat recipe. Not only for the beer but for all of my equipment and lines.

Due to that fear I did the pasteurized method and held the beer at 180 for 30. I utilized that time by rocking a whirlpool with my hops. Did a double no boil solely with Mosiac. Came out dynamite. Only my brewing buddies could tell the difference from my all grain recipes, and they said the mouthfeel was off compared to my typical NEIPAs. I call that a win. This is how it turned out. Bright and vibrant with a pretty good head retention
FA73F063-9A6D-4263-889E-CDCDE6B75D25.jpeg

I too worry about the complete no heat recipe. Not only for the beer but for all of my equipment and lines.

Due to that fear I did the pasteurized method and held the beer at 180 for 30. I utilized that time by rocking a whirlpool with my hops. Did a double no boil solely with Mosiac. Came out dynamite. Only my brewing buddies could tell the difference from my all grain recipes, and they said the mouthfeel was off compared to my typical NEIPAs. I call that a win. This is how it turned out. Bright and vibrant with a pretty good head retention View attachment 654768

Love that color can’t believe it’s no boil. What did you use dme wise?

Back