Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaltonBrewer

Reaction score
Ok I am probably opening up a can but here goes. I want to brew an all grain 10 gallon batch of black IPA does anyone have a good recipe that is tried and true? I could probably get close by modifying an existing IPA recipe, but thought I would ask first since everyone here seems so helpful. Homebrewers are cool!

DB

There was a good recipe that I used in the last BYO magazine. Unfortunately I don't have the recipe with me at the moment since I lent it to someone. I am sure someone could find and post it for you. Also search American Black Ale. I think that is the correct name for it now.

Northern Brewer has a good one: Black IPA

I brewed the extract version of this kit about a year ago, and it came out really well. I used Wyeast 1272 and all the same hops and specialty grains. I'd recommend it! My only problem was that it didn't attenuate fully, but I had way underpitched the yeast, so that's almost surely why.

I brewed the extract version of this kit about a year ago, and it came out really well. I used Wyeast 1272 and all the same hops and specialty grains. I'd recommend it! My only problem was that it didn't attenuate fully, but I had way underpitched the yeast, so that's almost surely why.

We like this one a lot. I used two packets of Nottingham yeast with our 5-gallon batch and it turned out very well.

One recommendation: let it age in the bottle/keg for at least 2-months before drinking. We drank ours too early (of course) but as we neared the end of the keg, i.e., about 2-months old, the caramel/toffee flavors were amazing.

Look up 'Damn the Man Black IPA' in the recipe section on here, I brewed 10 gallons of it earlier this year, came out excellent. Got many praises at our club meeting.

Back