Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virginia_Ranger

Reaction score
Waited to long to ask this but I have print the labels today.....

I have an imperial milk stout with coconut, vanilla, and Rye Whiskey soaked Oak Chips in it. I am struggling with where to enter it. Here is what I narrowed it down to:

30 A - Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer (coconut is specifically mentioned)

33 B - Specialty Wood-Aged Beer

34 C - Experimental Beer

Flavor wise, he oak / rye whiskey isn't too apparent just a little on the back end. The flavor combo in all honesty really just tastes like german chocolate cake (thats where I taste the rye) to myself and others. I am leaning towards 30 A or 34 C but wanted some opinions!

If, like you say, the wood is subtle or really nonexistent, 30A would be a better choice. Can you enter both 30A and 33B?

If, like you say, the wood is subtle or really nonexistent, 30A would be a better choice. Can you enter both 30A and 33B?

I thought about doing that as well but I'd have to sacrifice another entry to do so. I may taste test tonight and see whats a got a better chance and if the stout is better enter it in both.

Sit down with the style guideline, and maybe a local judge if availabe, sample once looking at 30A and sample again as 33B.

Is this for NHC? 30A is generally more competitive IMO.

Probably too late, but you could always try 34B Mixed Styles and state the two styles as SHV and Wood aged. But as you said the wood notes are mild and on the back end, but experienced judges may pick that out as stronger than you think and then ding you since wood flavors in the Spice, Herb, Vegetable category would be considered wrong.

Latest posts

Back