Bink clone...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVbrewer

Reaction score
A friend of mine returned from western Mass., and is raving a about a beer he had at a pub called "The Moan-n-Dove". It's from Bink. It's Belgian. That's all he can tell me about it. Anyone know what they serve. Anyone know a recipe? Thanks

Unfortunately for you, there appears to be five beers made by Brouwerj Kerkom starting with "Bink."

Yeah, I noticed that after I posted. He did say it was fairly hoppy for a belgian. Just wondering if anybody has a clue where to start.

Yeah it must be the Blond:

posted at LINK
Half way down the page>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My crude & limited translation

Blond beer with a white thick foam collar. The nose is hoppy and flowery nice hop bitterness
47 EBU ~~ IBU
two malts>>> probably Pilsner & Pale malt-but don't hold me to that;)

blend of 2 hop types>
Challenger? Kent Golding?

Bumping this old thread because I just tasted the Bink blond and I think it's actually quite wonderful.

It has some wild funky character to the yeast I cannot put my finger on (not horse blanket brett perse, but definitely unique).

From what I've read on this brewery, they don't use adjuncts. The hop profile is a tad more pronounced, flowery, but not like the Ommegang BPA (which I think is very good, but Bink is not as hoppy).

It's sweet, but not as sweet as Leffe. It's very drinkable and something I would like to clone.

Anyone else taste this? I'm thinking it has a standard Belgian pale malt profile with maybe a very small amount of biscuit, with the usual noble hops (Hallertau / Saaz) - but the yeast profile.. all I can say is wow!!!

Guess I'm going to have to capture some from a bomber and see if it takes.

I'm thinking it has a standard Belgian pale malt profile with maybe a very small amount of biscuit, with the usual noble hops (Hallertau / Saaz) - but the yeast profile.. all I can say is wow!!!

do a translation yourself:tank:

Bink Blond 5,5% Alc. Vol

Blond biertje met een witte dikke schuimkraag.

De neus is hoppig en bloemig.

De eerste slok laat ons al genieten van een lekkere hopbitterheid.
Dit is de smaak van een pils van 30 jaar geleden vertelde Marc ons.
Hij heeft maar liefst 47 EBU

Ook lichte fruitige prikkels komen af en toe naar boven.

Het biertje bevat twee mouten
De gebruikte hopsoorten zijn Challenge en Kent Holding en een blend van 2 andere hopsoorten.

Lekkere dorstlesser.

LOL Yes. I realize that I made that mistake in my post. It is a Belgian Blond ale but bittered like a BPA. There is a sad lack of Flemish to English online translation resources, but Dutch to English was approximate. "Challenger & East Kent Golding hops plus 2 others" (One could guess Saaz at least). EBU (IBU) is 47. Likely a traditional malt profile (easy enough to figure out).

The brewery is referenced in Brew Like A Monk, where some statement was made that their yeast profile was fairly close to Westmalle so I could either capture yeast from a bomber or buy a smack pack of Wyeast 3787. The other info in BLAM was that their Adelardus tripel was fermented on the warm side, so I could make a leap and say that the Bink Blond is also fermented warm, or at least allowed to warm over a few days (pitch at 70F, let slowly rise to 80F).

Definitely should be a worthwhile research project on my part - this is a very tasty brew (that's pretty hard to get, only 1 store in the area here carries it).

Bumping again. I've worked out 2 ideas for a recipe, using the K.I.S.S. approach.

For a 5 gallon batch -

10lbs. Belgian Pils
and either .5 lb. of biscuit malt or .65 lb. of Crystal 60L (not sure which is the better choice - I'm thinking the Crystal)

for yeast, I'll probably use the wyeast 3787 but I'm also going to try capturing from a bottle of Bink blond. (BLAM had an interview with the brewer at Brouwerij Kerkom who stated that their yeast is more or less the same yeast that Westmalle uses, and Westmalle got their yeast from Chimay, etc.).

Hops schedule - I've got 1 oz of East Kent Goldings for 60 minutes, then .5 oz Challenger and and another oz. of EKG for the last 15 minutes.

Should I go with a step mash or single infusion?

Back