Big Boil over!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerguy76

Reaction score
Hi. I just had a pretty decent boil over for an IPA. How will this affect the beer. the boil over happened before i added any of the hops. Thanks

Everybody has to have at least one as a learning experience. It won't hurt the beer at all. It just makes a huge sticky mess.

Luckily, my wife was out---she didnt see how big as mess it was at first--sticky stuff!

Sorry to hear about the boil-over. I *highly* recommend some Foam Control (aka Fermcap) drops for the next batch.

Hopefully you didn't lose too much wort. The good thing is that, even if you did, the worst thing that would happen is you get a hoppier beer than you anticipated, which probably will be fine for an IPA.

Thanks, I did lose a good amount--hard to tell how much, but it was all over the place--dont think i'll be stepping away for a minute next batch--I even had a timer going to make sure I checked back every couple minutes

Seriously, try Foam Control drops. You will never have to worry about a boil-over again. The stuff is magic.

I second the control drops. Also never use a cover on your pot - it only leads to boil overs.

Cheers!
Brad

Stirring and/or removal from heat for a few seconds is the best way to avoid boil over. Checking back every couple minutes, especially early in the boil after you add the extract, is not good enough. Don't leave that pot unattended until your positive all chances of a boil over are gone.

Even simpler and cheaper is a tip I learned from edwort. A spray bottle of water. Just spritz the foam when a boil over threatens

Back