BIAB with higher finishing gravities

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stmicbarr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm just now getting into eBIAB with recirculating, having switched from a 3 vessel system, and I'm wondering if others are seeing higher finishing gravities with BIAB than expected. I don't have enough evidence yet to see if I'm experiencing this, but it's a nagging question in my mind.

Researching the topic shows that beta amylase can denature more quickly in a thin mash, so has anyone really experienced this, or is it just ivory tower babble?

At one point there was a thread in here discussing consistently low FGs watt BIAB. High has never been an issue for me. Low FGs have.

So, I think the answer is, it depends on much more than just a thick vs thin mash.

Thanks. Just found that thread, I think. What I'm curious about now is getting the mash pH correct and not going too low in the finished beer.

I'm just now getting into eBIAB with recirculating, having switched from a 3 vessel system, and I'm wondering if others are seeing higher finishing gravities with BIAB than expected. I don't have enough evidence yet to see if I'm experiencing this, but it's a nagging question in my mind.

Researching the topic shows that beta amylase can denature more quickly in a thin mash, so has anyone really experienced this, or is it just ivory tower babble?

I've read that beta amylase will denature quicker in the thin mash but what isn't discussed in the light of BIAB is that beta amylase works faster too so even though it denatures quickly, the conversion is much quicker too.

I've read that beta amylase will denature quicker in the thin mash but what isn't discussed in the light of BIAB is that beta amylase works faster too so even though it denatures quickly, the conversion is much quicker too.

yep, especially with finer crush used by most BIAB brewers the mash is 90% or more complete before the beta amylase is denatured to significant levels even at relatively high temps.

Back