BIAB weird high efficancies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stz

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm sure this is going to wind up being a problem with my measuring, either ingredients, water, SG or a combination of all of these factors, but I'm getting weirdly high efficacies.

Typically doughing in with a protein rest at 130F for 30 minutes. Mashing at 155F for 60-90 minutes. Letting my bag of grains drip dry over a pot suspended by a hook and then slowing rinsing the grain inside the suspended bag with roughly half of my sparge water at 170F using a jug and then teabagging the bag with the other half and letting it drip dry again.

Brewsmith is telling me I'll get 1.059 at 70%. I end up with something like 1.065 and 83%+. Today I was expecting 1.051 and get 1.062, this is 107%! Obviously I've some variable with my ingredients or water but even adjusting for this, I'm still closing in on a strangely high percentage.

Today I acidified my water using lactic acid in an attempt to limit tanin extraction. Maybe this allowed me to be so thrifty with the sugar, who knows.

How are you measuring your water volumes? Also, have you calibrated your hydrometer?

Unlike athletes, I don't think your mash can give 107%. Either the measuring or the math is off.
Of course, my gravities are wildly unpredictable. But I'm working on it.

Is this a pre-boil or post-boil efficiency. You can't get >100% efficiency in extracting sugars from the grain pre-boil. You can boil away enough liquid to run your numbers up to whatever you want.

Is this a pre-boil or post-boil efficiency. You can't get >100% efficiency in extracting sugars from the grain pre-boil. You can boil away enough liquid to run your numbers up to whatever you want.

Boiling down more won't change the efficiency. It'll just change the concentration/gravity of the liquid.

You are right, I'm using the wrong kind of terms. These gravities were taken post boil but I also think that beersmith when I enter brewhouse efficiency of 70% or so to recipe plan scales down my extract additions to 70% utilisation throwing it all off.

I'm not sure how to have a working outline. I thought that by taking readings at all points to work out what I'm actually doing, as well as using the ingredients to 'predict' what I should have get when planning, I shouldn't be far off and recipe planning is a cinch. I come from an extract background which is much simpler.

Gravities are just wildly off though, to the point where the beer is a liability. I aim for 5% at best hoping to hit 4%+ for a refreshing summer beer, get 6.5% and something which will ruin me and my friends on a warm day.

Next beer I make is going to be someone else's recipe and I'll test my hydrometer beforehand. I also might fiddle with beersmith and enter others recipes and see if they match up. Also tasted two recently bottled partial grain/steeping brews where they weren't supposed to be more than 4% and I didn't bother to measure because they were basically 25L batches with 1kg DME, 1.5kg LME and about 2-3lb total of grains. I know from experience that the DME and LME in 24L gives me a beer of roughly 4% and I figured the grains wouldn't add THAT much. Both these beers seem very strong, and maybe a bit 'green' but still seem sweet in the bottle, I'd prefer them drier even though they were fermenting for about a month in primary.

You're on the right path. I'm still working on it too. Read, study, practice. We'll get there. My beer takes longer in the bottle than I expect. Eight weeks is typical for me.

We're kind of working blind here. Could you post your recipe and your volume+gravity measurements pre-boil and post-boil?

Back