Bestmalz Pilsner & Heidelberg malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dland

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone brew much with Bestmalz? This brand of German malt is comparable in price to Weyerman, a fairly new offering from my main supplier, moorbeer.

Made a rye malt/corn/oat malt "not so classic American pils" with Bestmalz regular pils at 75% last week, and all indications are pointing to a tasty brew. Today I'm brewing w 100% Heidelberg to test this ultra light malt. Will report results as beers mature.

Anyone else use this, has it been around at other suppliers for a while?

https://www.morebeer.com/products/malt-bestmalz-heidelberg-lb-showroom.html

I've used BM Pilsner and Vienna as subs when I can't get Weyermann.

Personally, I prefer Weyermann, I think it provides a more depth of flavor for classic German styles but BM definitely makes good beer.

Heidelberg is super pale and super grainy, and has relatively poor extract (I suspect its modification is low but I've never actually looked at a COA for it). It's fine, it's inexpensive. I'd much sooner use Weyermann Barke. Unless you want SUPER pale beer, or you're really pinching pennies, go with Weyermann (especially if the cost is comparable).

I like the pils and have some Heidelberg for very pale rice lagers. Haven’t tried yet though have heard good reviews

Heidelberg is super pale and super grainy, and has relatively poor extract (I suspect its modification is low but I've never actually looked at a COA for it). It's fine, it's inexpensive. I'd much sooner use Weyermann Barke. Unless you want SUPER pale beer, or you're really pinching pennies, go with Weyermann (especially if the cost is comparable).

Extract today was the same as I usually get from pils based recipees, regardless of malt brand name.. The only one I've tried that might have been a little lower is Viking, and their products vary depending on origin.

No Weyerman barke avail here. Cost is same to me as regular weyerman pils. Also it is good, in my opinion to try new things. As far as I can tell from crashed dump samples, the regular Bestmalz pils may be a bit maltier than regular Weyerman. Will update in several weeks after they lager for a bit.

It is good to try new products and not rely on name brand recognition in any case.

Back