Best Yeast Strain for a NEIPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

specharka

Reaction score
I've made a fair few NEIPA attempts with various yeast strains, and I'm curious...what is everyone's preference for that characteristic smoothie texture?

So far I've used Conan, London Ale III (WY1318), and British Ale (WY1098). I'm leaning towards London Ale III for the balanced stone fruit esters, but I still want to try Pacman (WY1764), London ESB (WY1968) and British Ale II (WY1335) strains. I've also done trial attempts at a IPA with the 3 Fontinein strain (WLP644) and a 100% Brettanomyces blend (OYL-218), which were unique but not really in the same vein as the NEIPA genre.

So what's your favorite?

i am brewing now with Conan. It is stuck at 1.030. I don't care for this yeast, slow fermenter and didnt finish. So next time I will use 05 or San Diego Super.

i am brewing now with Conan. It is stuck at 1.030. I don't care for this yeast, slow fermenter and didnt finish. So next time I will use 05 or San Diego Super.

That's unusual. I typically get upwards of 85% AA when I use Conan, even at low pitch rates. It definitely benefits from a slow ramp to 72F or so. What was your yeast starter process? Did you pitch enough and oxygenate well?

That's unusual. I typically get upwards of 85% AA when I use Conan, even at low pitch rates. It definitely benefits from a slow ramp to 72F or so. What was your yeast starter process? Did you pitch enough and oxygenate well?

Ok so I am assuming it was Conan yeast. It was the Omega DiPA which is supposed to be Conan. OG was 1.070. It was a double pitch. It had been fermenting for 2 weeks at 66F. It started fermentation within 12 hours and was at high krausen within 48 hours. It had 3 minutes on a stone using pure O2. It is currently in the secondary. The carboy had very little trub on the bottom after I racked it. I am use to 2 inches of yeast at the bottom this had almost nothing. This is Sip of Sunshine from Sean Lawson's recipe.

I have a brew that I will be racking off of a US-05 yeast cake this week. My plan is to rack the struck fermentation onto this yeast and rouse and see if it takes it down to at least 1.012, the target FG.

I've used Conan a few times and really like it, always good attenuation but mash low, maybe some candy sugar if you want it dry. I start at 63-64 and raise a degree a day and finish at 72. I overbuild my starter so I have some for the next batch because my LHBS doesn't have it.

I've had success with WLP095 Burlington Ale; attenuation has been 80% consistently, both with and without sugar in the boil. I mash low as well (149-151). Nice n fruity, great hop punch. I've read that the "smoothie" texture has a lot to do with water, not just yeast (or even oats, it turns out).

I've had success with WLP095 Burlington Ale; attenuation has been 80% consistently, both with and without sugar in the boil. I mash low as well (149-151). Nice n fruity, great hop punch. I've read that the "smoothie" texture has a lot to do with water, not just yeast (or even oats, it turns out).

Oh yes, by far the most substantial impact is targeting a specific water profile. I typically fluctuate between 120-200 Cl and 80-120 SO4, with mash pH ranging from 5.3-5.4. The presence of high sulfate enhances the perception of dryness (thus accentuating hop bitterness), so typically it's kept to a modest level. It's said that the characteristic haze is attributed to high chloride levels (which impairs yeast flocculation) among other things.

If you're looking to replicate Heady, mashing low with 5-10% dextrose in the boil is a good way to achieve the substantial attenuation that's required from Conan. It will finish given the opportunity.

I've enjoyed the using wyeast 1450 for the style.

just did an NEIPA this morning with the malt bill & water profile from Braufessor's NEIPA but with s-05 for simplicity and all nugget. gonna have used 8oz total in my 2.75 gallon batch... :rockin:

My last NEIPA was with WLP007 and it came out GREAT! First dry hop was right after krausen peak on day 4 and seemed to result in a successful biotransformation has the beer came out bright and hazy yellow/orange.

Just finished an IPA with Conan (WLP4000) and it ended up at 1.009. I ramped after day 2 to top of the fermentation, then on days 4-5 2 degrees higher than the upper range.

That looks fantastic. Like absurdly juicy and smooth. Mind sharing your recipe/process?

I really got my entire NEIPA technique from the thread in the recipe section. Awesome info there. I generally keep the base recipe the same and play around with different hop combos.

MyLHBS is carrying several strains of yeast from Imperial Yeasts of portland, Ore that might have some potential for NEIPAs. Anybody ever try these or know about them?

A04 Barbarian
Ready to attack your IPA, Barbarian produces stone fruit esters that work great when paired with citrus hops. Barbarian will give you what you need for an exceptionally balanced IPA.

Temp: 62-70F, 16-21C // Flocculation: Medium // Attenuation: 73-74%

A20 Citrus
Citrus cranks out orange and lemon aromas along with some tropical fruit. Use this strain at high temps for big ester production. A wild saccharomyces strain, it will get a bit funky without the worries of a brettanomyces strain.

Temp: 67-80F, 19-27C // Flocculation: low // Attenuation:74-78%

A38 Juice
Juicy. Fruity. Juice is an amazing strain for East Coast IPAs. The ester profile of Juice brings out the aromas and flavors of the new school hops and creates a beers that is greater than the sum of its parts. Keep an eye on this strain, it likes to move to the top of fermentation and will climb out the the fermenter if too full.

Temp: 64-74F, 18-23C // Flocculation: medium // Attenuation: 72-76%

A24 Dry Hop
Dry Hop is a blend of A20 Citrus and A04 Barbarian. When this blend goes to work on your hoppy beer, the hop aroma blows up. The combination of these strains produces amazing aromas of citrus, peach and apricot that will accentuate your IPA, pale ale, and any other hop driven beer.

Temp: 64-74F, 18-23C // Flocculation: medium // Attenuation: 74-78%

Last edited:
I will throw a shout out to 1272, easy yeast to use and I enjoy the fruity notes while still allowing the hops to shine.

MyLHBS is carrying several strains of yeast from Imperial Yeasts of portland, Ore that might have some potential for NEIPAs. Anybody ever try these or know about them?

A04 Barbarian
Ready to attack your IPA, Barbarian produces stone fruit esters that work great when paired with citrus hops. Barbarian will give you what you need for an exceptionally balanced IPA.

Temp: 62-70F, 16-21C // Flocculation: Medium // Attenuation: 73-74%

A20 Citrus
Citrus cranks out orange and lemon aromas along with some tropical fruit. Use this strain at high temps for big ester production. A wild saccharomyces strain, it will get a bit funky without the worries of a brettanomyces strain.

Temp: 67-80F, 19-27C // Flocculation: low // Attenuation:74-78%

A38 Juice
Juicy. Fruity. Juice is an amazing strain for East Coast IPAs. The ester profile of Juice brings out the aromas and flavors of the new school hops and creates a beers that is greater than the sum of its parts. Keep an eye on this strain, it likes to move to the top of fermentation and will climb out the the fermenter if too full.

Temp: 64-74F, 18-23C // Flocculation: medium // Attenuation: 72-76%

A24 Dry Hop
Dry Hop is a blend of A20 Citrus and A04 Barbarian. When this blend goes to work on your hoppy beer, the hop aroma blows up. The combination of these strains produces amazing aromas of citrus, peach and apricot that will accentuate your IPA, pale ale, and any other hop driven beer.

Temp: 64-74F, 18-23C // Flocculation: medium // Attenuation: 74-78%

I've used Citrus before. It's definitely the 3 Fontinein strain (WLP644). Barbarian is Conan (obviously) and I believe Juice is equivalent to the Boddingtons strain (WY1318). I love all of these strains for various reasons and use them religiously -- I've actually got two on tap right now. However, both Conan and the 3F strain will run over any dry hop additions you use with their bright stone fruit and citrus noses, so plan accordingly!

Anyone ever try 007 in this style? I was thinking of using it in my next neipa just for something different then this way as kind of an experiment I can see if the haze is caused by using oats and wheat in the grain bill and I plan on doing a smaller whirlpool (3oz as opposed to my normal 6-8oz) with an 8oz double dry hop split into 2 additions, 4oz at active fermentation then another 4oz a few days later to see if that's also where the haze comes from as I've seen here it's a theory it's not from yeast but hop oils.

London III BABY! COME ON! Its the ONLY yeast to use in a NEIPA. Soft, stone fruit, full body, perfect attenuation.......

OK OK OK that's just my opinion! BUT ITS A GOOD ONE! :D Baaahhaaaaaa

Cheers
Jay
Not to beat a dead horse, but I've come to the same conclusion. I've tried 1056, US-05, Burlington, WL001 and 1318 has been my favorite. Finishes slightly sweet but lets the hops shine. Plus it's a good floccer, unlike Burlington....

(I bumped because it seems like so many people are into the neipa craze. :) )

Not to beat a dead horse, but I've come to the same conclusion. I've tried 1056, US-05, Burlington, WL001 and 1318 has been my favorite. Finishes slightly sweet but lets the hops shine. Plus it's a good floccer, unlike Burlington....

(I bumped because it seems like so many people are into the neipa craze. :) )
Good bump. I've been chasing down a good yeast for this style. I just can't bring myself to like 1318. It's been my least favorite so far. Curious what everyone else is using.

Good bump. I've been chasing down a good yeast for this style. I just can't bring myself to like 1318. It's been my least favorite so far. Curious what everyone else is using.

What about it don’t you like? My only negative is it doesn’t let the individual hop profiles shine, I kinda get a melding together rather than individuality. I would guess this is the yeast profile taking over, but it still makes a great NE IPA!

What don't you like about 1318? Least favorite? Among what yeasts?

1318 is gross when dry hopped during fermentation.... muddy rotting fruit

After fermentation dry hopping in the low 60s however it’s wonderful.

S04
Wlp030

All good options as well

My preference is Conan. The versions I have used will produce phenolics at higher ale fermentation temps, so I keep it in the 62-64 range and get a nice clean fermentation with a decent amount of fruity esters to complement my hops.

I've also used WLP095, which came out nice as well. This is a diacetyl producer, however, so plan a diacetyl rest during the final few points of attenuation.

1318 is gross when dry hopped during fermentation.... muddy rotting fruit

After fermentation dry hopping in the low 60s however it’s wonderful.

S04
Wlp030

All good options as well
I've never had any rotting fruit flavors from 1318, and I dry hop on day 2 of fermentation every time. Perhaps it the hops you're using? It's always very clean and slightly sweet for me.

I've never had any rotting fruit flavors from 1318, and I dry hop on day 2 of fermentation every time. Perhaps it the hops you're using? It's always very clean and slightly sweet for me.

Nope it’s the yeast. I did it enough and can pick it up in so many of the commercial examples as well that dry hop during active fermentation with that yeast. Once you stop doing it you’ll see.

Nope it’s the yeast. I did it enough and can pick it up in so many of the commercial examples as well that dry hop during active fermentation with that yeast. Once you stop doing it you’ll see.
I've actually switched to day 2 dry hopping from later dry hops. I'll do a split batch next time to see if I can tell the difference.

I've actually switched to day 2 dry hopping from later dry hops. I'll do a split batch next time to see if I can tell the difference.

So you’re only adding your dry hops on the 2nd day of fermentation? That’s it?

I've made a fair few NEIPA attempts with various yeast strains, and I'm curious...what is everyone's preference for that characteristic smoothie texture?

So far I've used Conan, London Ale III (WY1318), and British Ale (WY1098). I'm leaning towards London Ale III for the balanced stone fruit esters, but I still want to try Pacman (WY1764), London ESB (WY1968) and British Ale II (WY1335) strains. I've also done trial attempts at a IPA with the 3 Fontinein strain (WLP644) and a 100% Brettanomyces blend (OYL-218), which were unique but not really in the same vein as the NEIPA genre.

So what's your favorite?
having never made one ,but after reading from Daniels, I would think a London / Nottingham

Latest posts

Back