Best yeast for young dry cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dex Pistol

Reaction score
Hello. I've heard good things about Lavlin 71B for a good unaged cider because of MLF. Any other good yeast strains for a quick turnaround young dry cider? I'm cautious of beer/ale yeasts because I'm looking for a bone dry cider.

I'm cautious of beer/ale yeasts because I'm looking for a bone dry cider.

I've done several ciders with ale yeasts that finished below 1.000 SG. From my anecdotal experience, unless you're fortifying your cider to a high OG, they'll dry it out just fine. Just give ’em a healthy dose of nutrient.

I've done several ciders with ale yeasts that finished below 1.000 SG. From my anecdotal experience, unless you're fortifying your cider to a high OG, they'll dry it out just fine. Just give ’em a healthy dose of nutrient.
Good to know, thank you. Do you have any specific ale yeasts you enjoy?

Good to know, thank you. Do you have any specific ale yeasts you enjoy?

I usually use English ale yeasts because they throw more esters which can contribute a perception of sweetness without the actual sugar.

But there's a cider house here in OKC that specializes in "beer inspired" ciders — they use all kinds of ale yeasts — Saison, Belgian, Chico, etc.

My favorite yeast for quick turnaround is Napoleon.
Retains a lot of apple with just a tiny hint of saison. Not nearly as much as w beer.

I like Red Star Cote des Blancs the best.
I just made a dry cider with this and it's one of the best I've ever made. I don't know if I want to revert to anything else I've tried in the past. As @z-bob said, it's a white wine yeast.

If you don't want it too dry, I've had success with Nottingham--it would finish with residual sweetness--(1.010, believe it or not).

I use all types of beer yeast for my ciders (from store bought juice).
All turn out dry, esp the saison.
My take on things is that it is quite easy to make a dry cider and all beer yeasts work. I'm not using nutrients and no sugar, except at bottling for carbonation.

Latest posts

Back