best DRY yeast for a NEIPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanPancho

Reaction score
for reasons i dont want to get into we CANNOT use liquid yeast presently.

long story.

so while 1318/juice seems to be preferred liquid culture, which of the dry yeasts is the most similar/appropriate for the style?

i'm typically brewing lagers,sours and bretts, so i really have no familiarity with any of the dry ale yeasts. hoping i can get some semblance of consensus, or at least narrow it down to one or two so i can hit the local brew shops.

**DRY** yeast advice much appreciated.

thx

I love BRY-97 and just used it in an IPA I bottled up the other day. But it drops clearer than you may want for a NEIPA.

Do I remember correctly that one of the yeast companies recently released a new one that people assumed was a Kölsch yeast? That might be a good option.

Wnet with s04 since it was what hey had at the shop.

Good to know about the kolsch dry yeast. Could be handy for kettle sours.

Thanks all for the advice

I brewed one with S-04 and it imparts that fruity esters that compliments the style.

Here's my first attempt a month ago with S-04 and high krausen dry hops:

NEIPA.jpg

That beer looks really good!

It was all citra hops and tasted and smelled like just-ripening mango juice :ban:

Tip: consume the beer ASAP though because the flavor/aroma don't hold up that well (and this was with oxygen-free kegging).

My goal is to consume all beer ASAP so no prob with that.

I’ve been using BRY-97 for west coast ipa and have enjoyed. Pretty flocculent not best for NEIPA., will try the S04 to see how works

Bry-97 is perfect for hazy beers. It’s essentially the yeast Bissell Brothers uses. Dry hop with even a little fermentation still happening and you get permanent haze. It’s more fruity than 1056 but generally very clean.

S04 is a great option as well.

Treehouse uses s05 for Bright and maybe it clears eventually but the beer is still softer than most can make with permanent haze.

Honestly the haze is just visual aesthetics. You can make a clear beer just as soft and full of you want.

I used BRY-97 on my last two NEIPAs, my first totally cleared in the keg, second is still fermenting as of today but i changed up my grains a bit and hop schedule if this one clears im switching to s-04

edit: i also didnt use any fining on these beers (no gelatin, whirlfloc, irish mosh etc but the damn thing went crystal clear!)

I'm on board with pretty much everyone else. BRY-97 is my favorite for NEIPA so far. Just did a NEIPA with S-04 today. If you like the character of S-04, it's a solid all around dry yeast.

Used Lallemand New England once, it would probably be good if you could do a starter, but as a direct pitch it's probably too finicky.

Back