best beer base for a pumpkin ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Faseel

Reaction score
This is an easy one, what is the best ale base for a pumpkin ale? I want to crank one out for thanksgiving.

Thanks all!

if i was going to do a pumpkin beer, i'd try for a malt bill that would approximate a light oktoberfest or light amber ale. by light, i mean the color, not the flavor necessarily. i just wouldn't want something uber dark and malty, i'd think that would cover the pumpkin flavor. i've also heard using the pumpkin in the mash is the way to go.

Most of the commercial examples of Pumpkin Ales are based off Ambers. Other less prominant commercial examples are based off Browns, Porters, or Stouts.

If you want to make a Pumpkin Beer that tastes like liquid Pumpkin Pie, base it off an Amber recipe.

I made a Pumpkin Stout this year that is really good, but the body of the beer is more defined by the Stout properties than the pumpkin spices, and I put a ton of pumpkin spices in there, along with 56 oz of pumpkin meat in the mash. The same would go for Porter-based, the Porter properties are going to dominate. Brown would be somewhere in the middle. I'd go amber if you want to really taste the Pumpkin and Spices.

I just tasted my Pumpkin Porter. Based of a basic Brown Porter recipe. It's my first pumpkin beer and so far I think it turned out very good.

Back