Bench Capper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John475

Reaction score
Going to get a bench capper looking for one that is durable. Any suggestions?

I also have a Super Agata in working condition, used it for years before switching to kegs, still use it on occasion for boat beers.
That said, to look at it one might not see "durable", due to many critical bits being plastic...

Cheers!

i've always wondered why there was such a shortage of home-made cappers, especially considering the abundance of home made cheese presses and the fairly similar nature of the two devices.

Cheese won't shatter? :D
I dunno - you're right, aside from some random pneumatic cappers which looked like fun I can't remember seeing home-made cappers.
Perhaps the easy availability at less than punitive cost, along with the intrinsic fragility involved, are dissuading factors.
Tbh, I never even considered fabricating a capper...

Cheers!

it just seems like a hobby that is so diy centered would see more garage style engineering with cappers.

I fully understand the reasonably low cost vs dependability of the wing style or even bench cappers, but when has that stopped any of us before?

I also have a Super Agata in working condition, used it for years before switching to kegs, still use it on occasion for boat beers.
That said, to look at it one might not see "durable", due to many critical bits being plastic...

Cheers!
My local HBS has the Super Agata. I noticed the plastic parts, and wasn't sure about the durability of it.

Yup, and even though I put at least a couple thousand caps through mine (hell, I did 400 bottles in one horrible, horrible afternoon) I was always cautious using it to get everything lined up and clicked in right and to not strain anything. Which worked out just fine, but I have to believe there are cappers that don't have the user walking on egg shells :)

The "step up" referenced above, for instance, might inspire more confidence and comfort, though at 2x the cost...

Cheers!

I tried several bench cappers and had an entire brew ruined because one of the cheaper cappers didn’t create a good seal. I finally invested in a Ferrari “deluxe” bench capper. A little pricier, but heavy duty and works great.

BYO had a "How To" article on a homemade pneumatic capper. Interesting project.

About my "Super Agata Bench Capper" I still have the extra cap magnet attached to the base. So far, in 20 years, I haven't needed the extra magnet.

Bench Capper.jpg

Last edited:
I had the same experience with the Super Agata, not getting a good seal and uncarbed bottles of beer. Probably something I was doing wrong, but out of frustration I ended up investing in the Deluxe capper referenced above. It is pricey, but no more problems getting a good seal and it is extremely durable.

I have used this style since helping my Dad cap his home brew in the 1960s up until 5 years ago when I switched to Grolsch bottles then kegging. They are basically indestructible, can still find them at garage sales/flea markets. Think I paid $5 for this one. Only drawback I see is champangne bottles are too wide to fit.

Attachments

• SAM_1654.JPG
    SAM_1654.JPG
    252.6 KB · Views: 53
Not all plastic is created equal. Many are quick to dismiss a product as soon as they hear the word plastic. If Tobor_8thMan is getting 20 years out of a bench capper (I’m assuming he brews often) with some plastic parts, it must be good quality, high impact(?) plastic.

Last edited:
Not all plastic is created equal. Many are quick to dismiss a product as soon as they hear the word plastic. If Tobor_8thMan is getting 20 years out of a bench capper (assuming they brew fairly often) with some plastic pars, it must be good quality, high impact(?) plastic.
and a good excuse to pull the trigger on a 3-d printer. :mug:

My local HBS has the Super Agata. I noticed the plastic parts, and wasn't sure about the durability of it.
I had the same concern when I purchased mine last year. I asked around as well and most of the feedback I received was very positive. It does feel more solid than it looks, in my opinion. I've only been using it for about 4-5 months but its a massive upgrade from the wing capper.

I have the super Agata and it works great and has never failed me. My brew buddy has an Agata as well but is the self adjusting type and I like it better.

I looked at the Colt Strong and the Agata recently after shattering about 5 bottles in a earlier run ... Settled on the Colt since it has a head machined out of a solid piece of metal ... Only done one run (~50 bottles) with it - no complaints and its orders of magnitude easier than the wing-style capper (Black Betty?) ... also considered the Anvil, but there were no real reviews of it

https://www.morebeer.com/products/colt-strong-high-pressure-bench-bottle-capper.html

I hate to resurrect an old thread, I bought the super agatta and was wondering if anyone had the manufacturer website?

Back