Belgians, saisons, and other high temp ferm recipe suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewth1

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
So call me crazy but I don't currently have the time or capital to outfit an old mini fridge into a ferm chamber (I'd need to extend the fridge and get a temp control unit, not rocket science but a small investment none the less for later). In the meantime id like to brew something tolerable at an ambient of 78f.

So that leaves Belgian and wild yeasts I believe. I'd appreciate any advice!

US-05 works up to 82F ( https://fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/SafAle-US-05.pdf )
WLP 644 and it's counterparts from other yeast manufacturers is great for hoppy beers and not only.
I recently used Danstar Munich Classic at 75F ( granted, the first day was at 68F, but raised the temp. )

But belgian yeast is delightful yeast, so you should be able to brew many different styles and tastes.

That pretty much leaves you with delicious Saisons and other Belgium Ales to brew. Not a bad thing!

Yeah, the Kveiks are great for this. You can ferment most of them at up to 35C ish, done in two-three days, although the profile changes with temperature, but there's so many different kveiks out there that I wouldn't know where to start myself for targeting a strain flavor-wise.

Yeah, the Kveiks are great for this. You can ferment most of them at up to 35C ish, done in two-three days, although the profile changes with temperature, but there's so many different kveiks out there that I wouldn't know where to start myself for targeting a strain flavor-wise.

My yeast bank is full...just received some new yeasts from uk. But i really wanna use some Kveik this summer. I must...

Oh wow the kveik sounds really neat. I like the idea of a jack of all trades hot yeast. I'll have to ask my lhbs about it.

My yeast bank is full...just received some new yeasts from uk. But i really wanna use some Kveik this summer. I must...

You can try to get hold of a norwegian homebrewer which uses kveik (I'm norwegian but I'm not into kveik), it should handle the shipping to the states. Historically these yeast strains have been kept on a garland or just some sort of wooden stick, just dry, hung on the wall. If you're going for a "true" strain you can also source one which has the bugs intact, as the commercial yeast-manufacturers filters out a lot of the "historical" element to them, they are cleaner with less flavors afaik. The ones without the bugs are also filtered leaving some "sub-strains" behind, from commercial labs.

Oh wow the kveik sounds really neat. I like the idea of a jack of all trades hot yeast. I'll have to ask my lhbs about it.

Omega Yeast and the Yeast Bay are two brands that carry Nord yeast. Good luck finding them. My local brewshop carries White Labs ... but there is Love2Brew in North Jersey and they have kveik strains for sale.

The kveik strains attenuate fairly well so plan your grain choices carefully or you may end up with a fairly dry brew, unless that's what you're seeking.

Omega Yeast and the Yeast Bay are two brands that carry Nord yeast. Good luck finding them. My local brewshop carries White Labs ... but there is Love2Brew in North Jersey and they have kveik strains for sale.

The kveik strains attenuate fairly well so plan your grain choices carefully or you may end up with a fairly dry brew, unless that's what you're seeking.

Actually they're overall not that extremely attenuative. I can't find the link right now, but norwegians have a sheet which is shared where they input data for beers they make, to track and gather data about the different kveiks, and the average attenuation is not that extreme, it very close to what you'd see from a straight lab-sacc-strain. But some of that data is with kveik which has not been lab-processed.

I typically use Brewers Friend cloud calculator for recipe design and it has recent updates for Omega Labs OYL strains. It's a fairly reliable online tool.
I'm not sure the kveik strains I listed are blends or cultured specimens, but the attenuation rates are comparatively higher than some liquid German lager yeasts I am used to. Brewers Friend lists the attenuation rates near 78-78.5%.

You can try to get hold of a norwegian homebrewer which uses kveik (I'm norwegian but I'm not into kveik), it should handle the shipping to the states. Historically these yeast strains have been kept on a garland or just some sort of wooden stick, just dry, hung on the wall. If you're going for a "true" strain you can also source one which has the bugs intact, as the commercial yeast-manufacturers filters out a lot of the "historical" element to them, they are cleaner with less flavors afaik. The ones without the bugs are also filtered leaving some "sub-strains" behind, from commercial labs.

I might try that! Btw i'm in Portugal, so it should be easier!

I typically use Brewers Friend cloud calculator for recipe design and it has recent updates for Omega Labs OYL strains. It's a fairly reliable online tool.
I'm not sure the kveik strains I listed are blends or cultured specimens, but the attenuation rates are comparatively higher than some liquid German lager yeasts I am used to. Brewers Friend lists the attenuation rates near 78-78.5%.

That's on par with many lager yeasts, german weizen, saisons (without the diastaticus) and also chico for example. You can also get that AA with british strains.

There’s several shops a few hours drive from me in FL that carry omega. Wouldn’t mind getting lunch and yeast in that city. As to how dry it is, it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. Omega says their Norwegian yeast has a max attenuation of about 83 ‍♀️ I just want to play around and see whats good.

There’s several shops a few hours drive from me in FL that carry omega. Wouldn’t mind getting lunch and yeast in that city. As to how dry it is, it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. Omega says their Norwegian yeast has a max attenuation of about 83 ‍♀️ I just want to play around and see whats good.

Whatever strain you'll end up with, overbuild the starter and try different temps. I've had beers which are clean, some which tastes like oranges, and some which tastes straight up like some sort of marmelade. I believe those has all been the vossakveik.

I think that's rather missing the point - the OP isn't looking to replicate a Norwegian farmhouse ale with perfect accuracy, he just wants something that will ferment a pale ale at 78F. In that context, the fact that the commercial versions are "cleaner with less flavors" is a feature, not a bug.

Omega lists OYL-057 Hothead Ale (Stranda) with an attenuation of 75-85%, and the newer OYL-061 Voss and OYL-091 Hornindal Kveik at 75-82 - only a handful of commercial non-diastaticus Saccharomyces get up to the mid-80's. The Yeast Bay list their version of Voss at 78-83%.

Supposedly the Omega version of Hornindal has the full 8 strains (but not the bacteria), whereas the Escarpment Labs version only has 2 strains. That's not necessarily a bad thing though.

I think that's rather missing the point - the OP isn't looking to replicate a Norwegian farmhouse ale with perfect accuracy, he just wants something that will ferment a pale ale at 78F. In that context, the fact that the commercial versions are "cleaner with less flavors" is a feature, not a bug.

Omega lists OYL-057 Hothead Ale (Stranda) with an attenuation of 75-85%, and the newer OYL-061 Voss and OYL-091 Hornindal Kveik at 75-82 - only a handful of commercial non-diastaticus Saccharomyces get up to the mid-80's. The Yeast Bay list their version of Voss at 78-83%.

Supposedly the Omega version of Hornindal has the full 8 strains (but not the bacteria), whereas the Escarpment Labs version only has 2 strains. That's not necessarily a bad thing though.

That was not my intention. I was unclear. It was just for extra information about the kveiks. I didn't say that less flavors was a bad thing, if you'd want it cleaner it's a good thing.

At least in the sheet (which I couldn't find) the average attenuation wasn't that huge that I'd worry about it drying out too much.

Last edited:

Would you know if they bottle as quick at high temp as well?

Would you know if they bottle as quick at high temp as well?
I actually don't know. I see that people very often state something like "done after two/three days", but I haven't actually noticed anything about the carbonation-time. I would assume that's pretty fast as well. Kveik is known for waking up like a sleeping person you pour cold water in his or her face, they start to party once the first beat drops.

Last edited:
Back