Belgian Fermentation Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdw2pd

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I had a couple of questions about fermenting Belgian beers.

My setup is an STC-1000 in a full-sized garage fridge.

1.) Can someone explain how you let Belgians self-rise with a temp controller? Do you let them go at room temperature until they hit their high point, and then hold them there in the ferm chamber? I'd like to eventually brew the Pious New World recipe, in which you pitch at about 68F and let it rise until the mid-80s.

2.) I want to do a Saison DuPont clone with harvested DuPont yeast. Suggestions on HBT suggest keeping it right about 90 so that it doesn't stall out early. However, that's higher than where the Pious is supposed to be at (~83). Is there a way to have both going in the same fermentation fridge at the right individual temps?

I have a saison hooked up to my STC right now. I pitched the yeast at 19C (a little less than 68F) and let the beer naturally rise to 25C (78F). Basically, just set the temperature (F1) at your desired max temp and let the beer naturally warm up, in my case the temp setting was 25C. The STC kicked on the heating side to my plug, but I didn't have my heat pad plugged in, so the temp rose naturally over the course of a day, or so, from 19C to 25C. If the ambient air is cooler than your desired fermentation temp, you will need to assist the beer with its temperature increase.

Back