Belgian Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTexan

Reaction score
I am thinking of brewing a Belgian Wit. What are the proper fermentation temperatures I should try to shoot for.

Well it varies depending of the recommended fermentation temperature of the yeast straing you're using. In general, I've heard that starting at 66-68F for the first 2-3 days and then warming up to 70-85F is a good approach. Do you know what yeast strain you want to use?

Hefe rule of 30 would be a good starting place.

Your pitch and ferment temp should add up to 30.

Example: pitch at 12c (54f) an let the fermentation take it up to 18c (64f).

According to jamil z, this keep the ester profile under control.

For Belgian Wits, I would go higher than a German Hefe. The wit strains are thermo-tolerant, and the esters and phenolics that result are generally considered part of the profile.

I've done the 66-68F and raise method as described by Pie Man, and this works well. I've also done 68F and leave it there for the duration of primary, and this also works well. I've also heard that mid to high seventies to low eighties works if you want to get a little more of the juicy fruit/bubblegum notes, which I'm told can be a nice balance if you're using any form of sour mash in your wit (which I don't).

Latest posts

Back