Belgian Starter Temp? 3787 or 530

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobo1898

Instagram | @bierdedbrewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How detrimental is starter temp? Specifically for Belgian strains like 3787 and 530. With something like 1056 or 001, I don't think I would be as concerned.

In a new apartment and it's not the best insulated space. Don't have room in my fermentation chamber so my starter is out in the open. Temp is 60°F ambient, and the flask feels coolish (on a stir plate). Typically I make these around 70° and let them ride.

As an experiment, I pitched both 3787 and 530. There is some activity in the flask. Should I just expect it to go longer than a few days? Should I be concerned about the cell growth?

Sounds like a science experiment :) I have no experience running either of those strains that cool.
It will be interesting to see if running 3787 at ~60°F will attenuate the esters and phenolics that strain is known for, never mind what the affect on propagation might be...

Cheers!

Thanks for the response @day_trippr !

After I pitch the yeast, I plan on pushing the temp with fermentation from 68° on upwards to high 70s/low 80s, which should promote those esters.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're suggesting that having my starter at 60° will affect the yeast even at higher temps after the fact when I ferment in a batch? Or did you just mean fermenting at 60° will likely equal a cleaner brew?

I misread the issue and thought the cool temperatures would be for the eventual brew not just the starter :)
Totally agree it's not a real concern wrt the starter - although it may slow it a bit...

Cheers!

Back