Belgian Dubbel- hopping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaeger48

Reaction score
Today I brewed my first batch ever as follows.

Belgian Dubbel (5 gallons)

3.3 lbs Briess Traditional Dark LME
3.3 lbs Briess Golden Light LME
1.5 lbs Briess extra light DME

(recipe calls for 1.25 oz of Styrian Golding hops 6-HBU boiled for 60 minutes)

Boiled extract and with 1.5 gallons of water for 60 minutes. I could only get hop pellets from the LHBS which were 5.7 HBU and came in a 2 oz bag. I used a little over half the packet. Recipe called to boil hops for 60 minutes but I was worried about being too high on the hop count so I only boiled for 45 minutes then removed from the wort.

Cooled wort and pitched yeast from a healthy starter at 70 degrees (f).

OG of 1.060
FG should be around 1.014-1.018

My main question is, what will my final IBU be? If I had followed the recipe it should be around 20 IBU. I don't what the hop conversion is but the sample I took my gravity tasted a bit more bitter than I was expecting. Taking (HBUs*%Utilization)/1.34 says 2.29 (not sure if that is correct though)

Does anyone have a solid idea what the final IBU will be? Also, any input on what I should be expecting?

I'll take a gravity reading after visible fermentation subsides and grav readings are stable. I plan on racking to a secondary for 2 weeks and then bottle conditioning until Feb 4th (sister's b-day).

Thanks guys~

Those hops for 45 minutes with all the ingredients you listed in your recipe above will yield an IBU of 16.6 according to Beersmith..... in a 5 gallon batch.....

DRAGGER.....

OMG-

I didn't realize how giddy I would feel upon seeing my yeasty beasties working away but after work tonight I checked my fermenter and to see the ferm-lock bouncing up and down and the SMELL...

I'm hooked ^^.

Jaeger48 said:
OMG-

I didn't realize how giddy I would feel upon seeing my yeasty beasties working away but after work tonight I checked my fermenter and to see the ferm-lock bouncing up and down and the SMELL...

I'm hooked ^^.

It's better than TV, I could watch it all day long.

One thing I have always found to be a little weird is the hop character of a beer when I sample it right when I pitch the yeast. No matter the hops, style, etc... it always seems that the hop character is more pronounced than it ends up being in the final product. Can't explain it, except that maybe alcohol and carbonation mask the flavor somewhat, or that the hop oils mellow over time or something. Anyway, the point is that, in my experience, it SHOULD be a little too hoppy when you sample it on brew day.

Just my $0.02.

Back