Belgian Blond

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TippHillBC

Reaction score
I brewed my second AG batch 2 weeks ago today, a Belgian Blond. Here is the recipe:

OG-1.065
FG-1.012
ABV-7.0%
90 minute boil
5 GAL
9.9 lb pilsner malt
7 oz aromatic malt
7 oz wheat malt
1.2 lbs cane or beet sugar (used cane)
1.4 oz Hallertau hops
Wyeast 1214 (made a starter the night before)

Mashed at 150 , batch sparged at 170 and then boiled for 90 min, adding the hops at 30 min per recipe.

After I chilled the wort to 64 deg., and got an OG of 1.060 (Im ok with that as I probably have 5.5 gal instead of 5 gal. I pitched the yeast and put it down in my basement which is anywhere from 65-68.

Two weeks later I have got a 1.018 reading for my FG three days in a row. That said I would think that fermentation is done, but I am off a good 6 points on my target FG. Would racking it to a secondary help this, or is this all Im getting. Im ok, with it as it will still be beer, but i was hoping to get those last few points to push the ABV over 6.0%. Ay suggestions are welcome, thanks! :mug:

1.060 is pretty up there for a blonde ale. You got a lot of grain and sugar in your recipe,which is fine if that is what your going for. What I read, the attenuation for 1214 is 72-76%. You can do the math, but if 1.018 is 72-76% of 1.060, then that is about all you can expect from that strain of yeast. If you wanted a stronger beer, you might consider a different yeast strain.

Looks like I got 70%, so I guess I'm at my limit. No big deal, I just was wondering if I was done with my fermentation

1.060 is actually a low OG for a Belgian Blonde. BJCP guideline for the style have 1.062 as a minimum OG. The high end is 1.075.

This is funny because exactly two weeks ago today, I brewed a Belgian Blonde with almost the same exact recipe. My ingredients are the same, we just used different amounts and I used White Labs WLP 500.

It looks like you came up with about 68.8% attenuation and 1214 says it should finish out about 74-78%. To finish out low, I would suspect pitching rate. Did you make a starter? If so, how big? Your fermentation temp should have been OK since 1214 likes the higher temp range (74-78). You said your basement is about 65-68 and you can bet that the temperature inside the fermenter was in the 70's.

I bet it will turn out just fine! Maybe a lower ABV for the style, but overall a good beer.

1.060 is actually a low OG for a Belgian Blonde. BJCP guideline for the style have 1.062 as a minimum OG. The high end is 1.075.

This is funny because exactly two weeks ago today, I brewed a Belgian Blonde with almost the same exact recipe. My ingredients are the same, we just used different amounts and I used White Labs WLP 500.

It looks like you came up with about 68.8% attenuation and 1214 says it should finish out about 74-78%. To finish out low, I would suspect pitching rate. Did you make a starter? If so, how big? Your fermentation temp should have been OK since 1214 likes the higher temp range (74-78). You said your basement is about 65-68 and you can bet that the temperature inside the fermenter was in the 70's.

I bet it will turn out just fine! Maybe a lower ABV for the style, but overall a good beer.

The recipe I used is from BYO magazine, did you get yours from there?

I did make a starter, and am not sure how big. I am new to this and just followed a starter i saw on you tube. It was 1/2 cup DME, 1 qt water and my wyeast pack. I did it 24 hrs before pitching. I think i may have used a little too much pre-boil water which couldve had an effect on OG. Oh well, its beer and it smells great. I will keg & let it condition for a couple weeks. Thanks for the response

You may get some additional fermentation if you were to warm it up to low-mid 70's and rouse the yeast by swirling. I started doing this specifically with Belgian brews lately and definitely get a re-awakening of the yeast, though I'll start warming after a week when fermentation started.

Back