Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

efigaro18

Reaction score
Hello all!

I am not only new to this forum, but I am new to home brewing as well! I have brewed a couple starter kits from Northern Brewer, but have decided to try my hand at making my own recipe to make the beer I want. I have come up with a recipe through looking at the style guidelines, forums, and other recipes I have found on the web, however I am brewing only a 1 gallon batch and am unsure of the ratios to use... I also have some pretty beginner questions I would love feedback on...

The recipe is as follows for my Belgian Tripel:

2lbs Briess Pilsen Light LME (84%)
8 oz clear candi sugar (16%)

0.25 Czech Saaz @ beginning of boil
0.28 oz Magnum @ last 10 minutes

Yeast: 1/2 pkg WLP530

According to BrewFather (the app I used to develop this recipe), my OG, FG, SRM, IBU, and ABV are all within style guidelines, however I do have some questions. For my recipe I do not currently have any steeping grains included in the grain bill- even though my SRM is within range, is it necessary to add this? Additionally, this is my first time using liquid yeast, so I want to make my first starter. Would someone be able to help me ratio wise with this? Also, is yeast nutrient necessary to add to a starter? Should I pitch more than 1/2 pack of yeast into the start for my 1 gallon batch?

I would also appreciate any and all feedback on my recipe itself, if you think I should adjust any amounts of anything!

Thank you everyone! Cheers!

Last edited:
0.25 Czech Saaz @ beginning of boil
0.28 oz Magnum @ last 10 minutes

You'd be better off switching these varieties. Magnum is pretty much a bittering hop without much in the way of desirable aromatics. But watch the computed IBUs....Magnum is a high alpha acid hop,

For my recipe I do not currently have any steeping grains included in the grain bill- even though my SRM is within range, is it necessary to add this?

A Triple doesn't necessarily need any malts other than Pilsner. It just depends on your goals for the beer.

Additionally, this is my first time using liquid yeast, so I want to make my first starter. Would someone be able to help me ratio wise with this? Also, is yeast nutrient necessary to add to a starter? Should I pitch more than 1/2 pack of yeast into the start for my 1 gallon batch?

If I were brewing a one gallon batch, I would figure out how much yeast I need and use it, skipping the starter. It's probably not more than a full pack of liquid yeast. (But I would add yeast nutrient to the wort.)

I second revising your hop additions, generally Magnum is a early addition for bittering.

I really like to reference the beer and brewing “make your best” series when I’m putting together a recipe. They have them for many beers and it gives a good overview of the style along with some ingredient suggestions.

https://beerandbrewing.com/make-your-best-belgian-tripel/
Remember the best thing about home brewing is that it’s your beer, make it how you like it!

I agree that a starter is not likely needed provided the date on it is not old.

You can use a yeast calculator. Just search for Mr malty yeast calculator on Google or I also think they have an app now.

Back